Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a few years now I've been working on and riding these IQ race sleds in various configurations. I started out with a 600 HO. Last year I went with a 660 and a 136 inch track. This year I'm stepping it up a bit to an 800 CFI as I've put the 660 HO into my RMK. Let us begin.

I decided to throw out the ripsaw track I had in favor of a new Cobra track for this season.

Being the 800 produces a bit more heat than the 660, a cooler upgrade was warranted. Here is what we did to extend cooling capacity.

I had some cracked rails from riding last season (they had rail extensions, but no...that wasn't the reason nor the place that they cracked) so I decided to get some new custom rails made up. They are 136 inch IQr rails, offset to accept an 8 inch wheel. The price wasn't bad either. I feel it's a much better option than extensions.

The skid, now installed in the sled.

I also upgraded the spindles to some new lightweight spindles. This gives me slightly reduces steering effort and also sheds a pound or two of weight. Note that I'm already saving a good 15 pounds by switching out the race front end entirely.

That said and done, I didn't have the 800 yet so I threw in a temporary 600 HO and drove the sled a couple hundred miles like that to cure my itch.

The last few weeks have been busy. I've been riding the IQr with temporary 600 HO around home, was away at Valemount, BC for a week, and working. Late last week we got started on the real part of the project for the IQr, and that is dropping in the new powerplant, a new smallblock 800 CFI. At first there was talk about using carbs and simply removing all of the injection system. It's fairly easy to do using nothing but the race ignition, but to retain all the functionality of the DET, TPS, PERC, and other goodies, it becomes much more difficult. After some planning, research, and looking around we decided it would just be easier for now to scrap that idea and go full all out fuel injection.

The engine and the chassis stripped of the temporary 600 HO ready for the new powerplant.

One of the first things required is the fuel pump, which needs to be mounted in the tank. An external fuel pump was also an idea but I think this will work out much better in the long run and ensure a proper level of fuel pressure across the system.

Continued on next post with additional image (I hit the max of 20 images per post I guess).

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

Next up, the airbox. With a bit of cutting and fitting we got the original IQr airbox to fit inside the sled along with the plastic cover that goes on the production sleds. It fits pretty good and looks original.

After all that was situated, you need to start thinking about a pipe. We looked at a few options. The 600R pipe did not fit because the y-pipe on the 800 is longer. We could have cut one of those apart and fit it, but if we are going to cut anything at all, why not a stock 800 pipe? So that's what happened.

A few cuts and a few spins in the pipe, tack it together making sure it clears everything and it's good to go. Actually, this took an entire evening...just to fit the pipe, and a couple more hours to weld it together and smooth it down nice.

Now there's all those wires to deal with. A carbed sled has nothing in the way of wires compared to this thing! We made some mounting brackets for a few things and extended the wires of others to reach across the sled. This is the process we are in now. Last night we got the beast fired up.

We had a bit of trouble at first so we hooked a gauge up to check fuel pressure. These things are supposed to be at about 58 to 60 pounds of pressure when running and that's what this one ended up at. Tonight will involve getting everything buttoned up, tied down, and making sure there are no rubbing hoses, etc and then some testing can be done!

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
I'm not worthy, I'm not worthy...awesome sled. Who do I have to blow to get a CFI 800? Makes me want to try the whole 900cfi in an IQ now. You have some huge balls. Craig

·
Registered
887 Posts
Nice! What is that seat/tank combo?[/b]
Looks to me like the stock seat and polaris/wicked big tank. That thing looks SWEET! Its great to have people like you willing to try all these crazy things to make it easier for the rest of us. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Nice! What is that seat/tank combo?[/b]
I believe that is the jay jay big tank (same as polaris). Seat is a stock IQ racer seat with the frame from a dragon raw seat.

This sled is absolutly sick erick, I was wondering how long it would take someone to throw one of these smallblock 800's in a racer, look slike you're the first! Nice job!!!

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
i like it alot.

I'm not worthy, I'm not worthy...awesome sled. Who do I have to blow to get a CFI 800? Makes me want to try the whole 900cfi in an IQ now. You have some huge balls. Craig[/b]
he musta got his hands on a proto from last year.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Awesome job man! really nice work! :thumbsup:

I did the same thing last year with my 04' Sno-Pro, hauled it apart and had it customed painted and installed a F7 EFI motor that I moded out. It's ALOT of work, mostlly all little things but that's what seems to take up alot of the time. Buy the end of the build I was so tired of lookin at the thing I sold it off for dirt cheap :(

once again good job, defentally one of a kind!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Awesome awesome sled! But one thing I would be worried about is the pipe, how do you know it will have the right back pressure?

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the compliments everyone. The last week has been nothing but a mad rush to get this thing done for the weekend here. Basically been getting home from work and then out to the shop until midnight every night.

The sled is fairly complete now. I rode it about 30 miles today to do some testing and there are some issues to work out. We found out we have the wrong exhaust solenoid on it. The 600 HO and the new CFI's use a different solenoid for those valves. One is open when it's powered on, the other is open when it isn't. We need the other so should have that on by tonight. There is also some hesitation that I'm hoping this cleans up because if it doesn't, I'm not sure how to fix it unless we were to tweak the mapping a bit.

I'm not gonna lie though...when this thing lights up and climbs over 8000 RPM it will rip your arms right off, well beyond what my 660 had. Now if we can clean up the lower throttle positions a bit it will be excellent. It does seem to take a bit more fuel than I would hope, but perhaps that will get better too with the right solenoid and with time.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts