Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any comments on ceramic thermal barrier coating for pipes? Seems like a good idea if for no other reason than rust prevention over time (if you keep a sled more than a year I guess) and I like the looks of it :p . Swain Tech is just down the road from me and it looks like $200-$250 for single pipe, Y, and can. Anyone have this done? Marc

·
Registered
754 Posts
i have one from hpc , aluminum coating on a 99 500. 180.00 per pipe. the only thing that went wrong is where the long spring holds the pipe down in the middle,took the coating off ..

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Will post picture Sunday or Monday as I am out of town.
Great web site!

·
Registered
308 Posts
87gtnos...............that was our coating you saw on those pipes. Let me explain what happened.

When we coated that system the stinger had some type of contamination on the metal surface that we could not seem to cook out or remove. Very rare........and the only time it has happened to date. As a result the coating bubbled up and did not finish properly so we had to remove the ceramic for re-coating. That stinger was re-coated three times before the Ceramic finally found proper adhession. I talked to the owner about it at the time .........and told him that we had to dip it in acid to remove the ceramic when he first picked it up.

Just this week the customer called and said the stinger seemed loud .......and later discovered there was no packing inside the stinger. We assumed the responsibility and agreed to re-pack and recoat the stinger obvioulsly at no cost. We coat hundreds of pipes and stingers and have very few issues..............and if there is something that is our fault............we will not run and hide.

About the ceramic coated pipe making less power after it was coated? Assuming that was a true comparison (same pipe same sled same day same dyno ......etc) that does not mean that all coated pipes loose HP. That would mean that running that pipe on that motor with that same particular set up...........that the colder pipe worked better. However ..........re-jet that motor for the coated pipe................and you would probably see a HP gain. The basic idea of coating the pipe is sound and makes common sense for potential HP GAINS. In some cases you have to throw more fuel to a coated pipe.....because the coating is working .........it is pulling more air and allowing faster flow.......but leanning out the motor at the same time. Bolting on a coated pipe doesn't mean you are gaurenteed a HP gain. BUT If you tune and set up to a coated pipe.............you should DEFINATELY make more power ........not less. The racing industry that has been using these types of coatings for over thirty years .......not because the look pretty..............but because they work.

Hope that helps explain. Thanks. Mark.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Hey Mark, I just wanted mine to look pretty...............and it does. I get a ton of compliments. Not to mention resale value.

·
Registered
354 Posts
This is done with mx bikes. U can get the barrier on the piston skirts and the pipe. Sum people even have the suspension clamps done to dissapate heat.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Hey Mark..again, those pipes looked great!
I don't doubt the idea behind coating. Heck, some OE manufacturers have been putting heat shields on their pipes for a few years. No doubt to keep the heat in, when you need it, as the pipes are being cooled on the lake or at higher speeds!
So I hope my earlier message wasn't taken as a shot!!
Coating my ugly ZRT pipes would sure make under my hood look 1000 times better, it's just not in the budget.
Do you do car headers??
Jonathon
ZRT

·
Registered
308 Posts
Johnathan..................we ceramic coat anything except white metal. We do car headers......., complete exhaust systems, motorcyycle exhaust, internal coatings such as moly based Hi Performance dry film lubricants, Nitrous coatings for pistons, heads, valves etc. We also ceramic coat brackets pulleys, A-ARMS, spindles and anything else that people want to dress up. Our polished looks alot like chrome and is cheaper and as durable. We also have extreme tough coatings (tougher than powder coating) for bike & ATV frames etc. You can check our web site for more info. Thanks. Mark.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts