Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I read that the SDR club cut a detour trail 5 miles long. This is from the SDR club's site, Jim's report....

" Some Trail News

The Cedar Stream Trail is closed for the season.
Now the good news is the hard working volunteers have cut a detour trail around it.
They completed this at the end of the month after getting the word of how they were to go.
They sure do fast good work."

·
Registered
152 Posts
OK, here's the scoop. The image below is from the SDR trail map for 2007. The big loss here is he closing of Cedar stream. Also the "new" section of 20 that was added a few years ago was really nice. It has some great views of Lake Francis and lower Pittsburg. Looking at how the trail along the lake was cleared out last season, I'm not too sure if this section of road is closed for logging in the long term. I have been hearing rumors of houses being built along the road. You know if someone can make a huge buck and build vacation homes there, they will. SDR has added a few trails. 131 had to get rerouted to get around logging and we will have to share another mile or 2 before getting to intersection 1294. The small link from 5 to 134 is a small road that the locals have been using for years. As for the trail that goes from int 0000 to 3598, not too sure what that is, but there are a lot of old logging roads there that should make for nice trails once they are "cleaned up". There may be some logging going on with trail 120 (off 5) just to the west of the pond. there was some logging there last year and the map looks like the line is dotted. As for the loss of trail 138. trail 139, open last season for the first time in 20 years, this is a nice alternate for 138. hope we get to use these trails soon, but El Nino needs to break first or this will be the worst season since 1995 (about 6 weeks of poor riding that year)

·
Registered
152 Posts
One more note on the map attached to my post. I believe SDR shoed trail intersection 1917 wrong. That should be located between int 3800 and 1856, but maybe that changed this season too. See the detail photos below.

G

·
The following may or may not be true, but I was told that Clarkseville ran short of cash when building the new bridge over deadwater stream. The state stepped in to cover the difference but told the town that they must maintain the road (plow) during the winter to justify the states expense.

The last two seasons there were no sleds allowed on cedar stream road from the damn to approximately the 3.5 mile mark or Bear Mountain Rd. at which point it becomes a sled trail again.

Is the reroute around that section of 20 the old bear mountain trail that we used to be able to sled on until last season?

Anybody know.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
I don't think anyone will miss that section of 140 - that was almost always a brutal ride. But with that and 138 closed nearly all the traffic between the Coleman SP area and the Youngs / Back Lake area will have to go through 5 and 139. Those trails will take a beating. :banghead: :banghead:
The new trail between 134 and 18 looks interesting.
I love riding 134 !! :banana: :banana: :banana:

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
This posted Tuesday, 1/16 on the USA club site.

" The Errol / Umbagog Snowmobile Club area received 8-9 inches of snow / sleet on Monday 1/15. The groomers have headed out today in an effort to open the trails. This is a first hand report as my wife and I went out on part of the system today. Any trail that goes through the woods, such as Charlie's Trail, is poor at best. There is minimal snow cover and many rocks / stumps are showing along with some open water. The trails that are on unplowed logging roads, such as the Millsfiled Pond area are in the best shape with good riding conditions. Keep in mind Corser Brook Road from the junction of Four Mile Brook south to Errol is closed due to logging. The by-pass trail must be used and conditions on it are poor. The groomer has not made it up that trail as of this report. The groomers will continue working the trial system for the balance of the week."

·
Registered
10 Posts
The town has been plowing just past the 3 mile marker for all the camps that have been put in during the past several years. My thoughts are this will not change going forward. The reason for the trails being closed in the southeast corner of Francis is because they are logging off 131. Hopefully this will change next year! The only way to get to good trails from Francis now is going to the dam...damn! Otherwise you need to go through Back Lake or through town over Shatney. Francis better be ready for this weekend...I know the state doesn't like snowmobiling down plowed roads...but I'm not going to fall in the lake if the ice isn't ready! The camps on Cedar Stream and Francis only had 2 inches last weekend. Hopefully the cold is doing it's magic...

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
The town has been plowing just past the 3 mile marker for all the camps that have been put in during the past several years. My thoughts are this will not change going forward. The reason for the trails being closed in the southeast corner of Francis is because they are logging off 131. Hopefully this will change next year! The only way to get to good trails from Francis now is going to the dam...damn! Otherwise you need to go through Back Lake or through town over Shatney. Francis better be ready for this weekend...I know the state doesn't like snowmobiling down plowed roads...but I'm not going to fall in the lake if the ice isn't ready! The camps on Cedar Stream and Francis only had 2 inches last weekend. Hopefully the cold is doing it's magic...[/b]
IF the lake is safe you can still go out by the campground and over to Young's that way - no? You know - the famous cove everyone fall in when they don't turn off and take the trail - A.K.A - the deer yard?

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
IF the lake is safe you can still go out by the campground and over to Young's that way - no? You know - the famous cove everyone fall in when they don't turn off and take the trail - A.K.A - the deer yard?[/b]
Please don't start telling people that! Ice conditions change in that part of the lake on a daily basis. In fact it can change on an hourly basis when weather conditons are right. Our rescue squad does not need "practice" pulling people out of the lake in subzero weather.

Mark

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Please don't start telling people that! Ice conditions change in that part of the lake on a daily basis. In fact it can change on an hourly basis when weather conditons are right. Our rescue squad does not need "practice" pulling people out of the lake in subzero weather.

Mark[/b]
So you'd rather have this guy riding downt he plowed roads? As this is what he wrote: "Francis better be ready for this weekend...I know the state doesn't like snowmobiling down plowed roads...but I'm not going to fall in the lake if the ice isn't ready! "

BTW - I wasn't starting to tell people 'that' - it was more of a question as to whether that route is still an option. For those of us that start out from the "Top Gas" side of town that shortcut - cuts out a lot of ROUGH trail.. Heading over to Back Lake through the woods is ridiculous and usually beat to shit even if it is groomed.
Keith

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
So you'd rather have this guy riding downt he plowed roads? As this is what he wrote: "Francis better be ready for this weekend...I know the state doesn't like snowmobiling down plowed roads...but I'm not going to fall in the lake if the ice isn't ready! "

BTW - I wasn't starting to tell people 'that' - it was more of a question as to whether that route is still an option. For those of us that start out from the "Top Gas" side of town that shortcut - cuts out a lot of ROUGH trail.. Heading over to Back Lake through the woods is ridiculous and usually beat to shit even if it is groomed.
Keith[/b]
Yes, I WOULD rather have him ride a plowed road and risk a fine instead of winding up dead or getting one of our EMTs injured.

Better rough trail than DEAD!

Mark

G

·
I was up there most of last week and the logging trucks were running cedar stream road all day long.

Stay off the road or you might end up as a hood ornament for one of the loggers.

If the lake isn't safe you should suck it up and trailer out to the dam parking lot.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I was up there most of last week and the logging trucks were running cedar stream road all day long.

Stay off the road or you might end up as a hood ornament for one of the loggers.

If the lake isn't safe you should suck it up and trailer out to the dam parking lot.[/b]
I agree! Riding that road is just going to cause worse issues.. Thank god my camp is not right on the lake and I use 128 (I think) to get to 20 and then go out 20 to 131.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I would certainly prefer the lake than the road but like I said, I'm not going to risk going for a swim. I've been on Francis for close to 30 years and the only time I've seen people get in trouble is by East Inlet. If you don't know Francis, at a minimum stay the hell away from the Inlet!

As for riding on the road, you would think F&G might exercise some discretion. Early season when the lakes aren't safe, cut some slack. We do the speed limit and when a truck approaches we pull off the road and allow them to safely pass. My experience shows that some of these truck drivers drive faster than the sleds! These guys need to slow down! They're flying down these roads with 40,000 pounds almost on glare ice...they wouldn't be able to stop if they wanted...whether it's a sled or an oncoming vehicle.

G

·
I would certainly prefer the lake than the road but like I said, I'm not going to risk going for a swim. I've been on Francis for close to 30 years and the only time I've seen people get in trouble is by East Inlet. If you don't know Francis, at a minimum stay the hell away from the Inlet!

As for riding on the road, you would think F&G might exercise some discretion. Early season when the lakes aren't safe, cut some slack. We do the speed limit and when a truck approaches we pull off the road and allow them to safely pass. My experience shows that some of these truck drivers drive faster than the sleds! These guys need to slow down! They're flying down these roads with 40,000 pounds almost on glare ice...they wouldn't be able to stop if they wanted...whether it's a sled or an oncoming vehicle.[/b]
you are right about the loggers. they move out.

As for getting cut any slack from F&G or the Chief, well don't bet on it. I had a similar conversation with the Chief last year about riding the road rather than the lake. Last year it was about 1/8th of mile from my driveway to the trailhead on cedar stream. He said if he saw us we would get a ticket. He even stopped by at one point to remind us and inquire about all the tracks leaving my driveway. I explained that if he followed the tracks he would realize that they went to the neighbors driveway where access to and from the lake is easier. I guess he figured that was reasonable because he didn't say anything else.

I won't risk riding that road, cause you have to go all the way past the west branch of cedar stream to reach the loggers...too far....too much risk of safety and $. On and off the trailer until there are tracks on Francis.

G

·
You can't ride the shore line and stay off of the ice to the damn and then get on 20 there? Regardless next trip you will see my tracks on the lake unless there is a huge thaw..[/b]
yeah I can get to 20 or 140 or others but I thought you eluded to way from the end of Francis to back lake. NO?

Is there a trail that goes out of spruce cone cabin to wards back lake? or one from francis state campground that does not require you to run the closed section of 140.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
yeah I can get to 20 or 140 or others but I thought you eluded to way from the end of Francis to back lake. NO?

Is there a trail that goes out of spruce cone cabin to wards back lake? or one from francis state campground that does not require you to run the closed section of 140.[/b]
Yes there are trails out both of those ways. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.