Hardcore Sledder banner
101 - 120 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
They have dominated because of Cats race department, the guys racing them and the fact that almost no doo or Polaris has run stock 800 class at Haydays in a decade because of no factory support. The 800 Cat that ran 118.5 and never to be seen again... Funny one of the fellow Cat pros saw the sled and said it shouldn't have made it through tech.

Yes, cheaters have got through Ron's tech. I saw it happen and things do get past them because somethings they cant catch everything.
No one can argue how fast the 800 ZUK is in a pro's hands with Cats looser then a $2 whore engine/sled filed specs but those sleds are nothing like what we race our buddy's with. Out on the lake Cat 800's do not compete with 850's and its not close. Stock for stock an AXYS or Indy 800 and doo's 800 etec would beat them up.

Last Weenie Roast I raced against some of the best Cat 800's, former Haydays stock 800 champs and a world record holder. With less then one season on a new to me 850 Polaris I got 2nd place.
You sound like a legend in your own mind...Until your name and sled is listed as a winner at a national event your just another internet wannabee..........

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
No at first it was just an interference fit. Then if ya had one go bad you could put one improper place and green locktite it. Then they put an alignment ring on it in 20. Maybe even later 19 replacements. At first it seems kinda crazy. I probably wouldn’t have done it. BUT most of them that squeezed out there were actully from being installed wrong. (Not pushing it out but squeezing it in ). The green locktite has been used on race engine bearings for as long as I can remember and worked well. I’m not gonna lie I’ve seen some 19s go down but mine was fine and I don’t think I oersonlly know anybody who had one go down. I think I’ve seen more center bearings go than the outer. The centers usually went from being plugged with case sealer. They have made changes throughout the years ever improving them. You know how it goes the web makes everything larger than life. I’ve had 3 of them 19, (sold ) 20 and 22 still have. 0 engine failures on any of them. I’m trying to think if I had any failures at all. Yes actually I have my 22 had weak ststor output. Never left me walking or anything but was a bit low voltage at low rom. Oh ya and my 19 had a shock knob get messed up. I think that’s it.

·
Registered
553 Posts
No at first it was just an interference fit. Then if ya had one go bad you could put one improper place and green locktite it. Then they put an alignment ring on it in 20. Maybe even later 19 replacements. At first it seems kinda crazy. I probably wouldn’t have done it. BUT most of them that squeezed out there were actully from being installed wrong. (Not pushing it out but squeezing it in ). The green locktite has been used on race engine bearings for as long as I can remember and worked well. I’m not gonna lie I’ve seen some 19s go down but mine was fine and I don’t think I oersonlly know anybody who had one go down. I think I’ve seen more center bearings go than the outer. The centers usually went from being plugged with case sealer. They have made changes throughout the years ever improving them. You know how it goes the web makes everything larger than life. I’ve had 3 of them 19, (sold ) 20 and 22 still have. 0 engine failures on any of them. I’m trying to think if I had any failures at all. Yes actually I have my 22 had weak ststor output. Never left me walking or anything but was a bit low voltage at low rom. Oh ya and my 19 had a shock knob get messed up. I think that’s it.
Still? Stupid design. They pinned them after that. How it should have been done from the start.

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
Still? Stupid design. They pinned them after that. How it should have been done from the start.
Ring. No pin. The old 650s had pins in the crank bearing though that dropped into holes in case. These have case groves and alignment rings. I agree I would have done that from day one. I believe cats use a pin though been years since I had one in front of me so I might be wrong

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
My name and sled has been listed as a winner at a national event. Has your's or are you just an
internet loser?
YEP...More than a few dozen like 9 world series on ice class champions...A few Minocqua Cups...Michigan Cups...MADRG Open Fuel Champ 3x...ASDRA Open Mod points champ 2x
Raced in 14 classes at most nat'l events...340 open/hvy mod...440 open/hvy mod...540 open/hvy mod...660 open/hvy mod...800 open/hvy mod...1000 open/hvy mod...Open Fuel n2o...AA stock (92 Mach 1x)...You couldnt afford the fuel bill...
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Shorts Hood Asphalt
Automotive tire Vehicle Tire Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
5,161 Posts
YEP...More than a few dozen like 9 world series on ice class champions...A few Minocqua Cups...Michigan Cups...MADRG Open Fuel Champ 3x...ASDRA Open Mod points champ 2x
Raced in 14 classes at most nat'l events...340 open/hvy mod...440 open/hvy mod...540 open/hvy mod...660 open/hvy mod...800 open/hvy mod...1000 open/hvy mod...Open Fuel n2o...AA stock (92 Mach 1x)...You couldnt afford the fuel bill... View attachment 2135810 View attachment 2135811
Wow, all of that and you’re in here trying to brag about the cat 800’s racing success? Well you of anyone should know comparing stock factory sponsored races sleds to trail sleds is irrelevant.
A little history lesson for ya, Jim Kane ran a 02 800 Polaris in 800 stock NSSR, sled was consistent in the 113 plus range and he eventually ran a 117 or 118 and backed it up for the world record. They found nothing on the sled that wasn’t legal but disqualified him because the pistons they said had evidence of nitrous burn marks. That was the last Polaris to actually try NSSR stock 800. He left NSSR and never returned. There is obviously political bs that goes into pro race results as well.

·
Registered
2014 ZR8000lxr 21-22 mileage 500mi
4,729 Posts
So did he cheat ?

As a race director at our local drags (the last time we actually teched sleds) we would check the sleds that people challenged. Some won some lost on the challenge. You had to put up cash on the challenge. That limited the challenges believe me. Of course we asked you to be specific in the challenge. Hot fuel, over bore, cylinder porting etc... There were some who lost the challenge but the racer was dq'd anyway due to something else we found but wouldn't tell anyone. My favorite saying was "don't come back till you make it legit". And if they came back I'm sure I could count on it being legit.

Too many cheaters, so little time to check them all!

·
Registered
5,161 Posts
So did he cheat ?

As a race director at our local drags (the last time we actually teched sleds) we would check the sleds that people challenged. Some won some lost on the challenge. You had to put up cash on the challenge. That limited the challenges believe me. Of course we asked you to be specific in the challenge. Hot fuel, over bore, cylinder porting etc... There were some who lost the challenge but the racer was dq'd anyway due to something else we found but wouldn't tell anyone. My favorite saying was "don't come back till you maker it legit". And if they came back I'm sure I could count on it being legit.

Too many cheaters, so little time to check them all!
I don’t know if he was cheating or not but I don’t believe based on what they found that he should have been disqualified.

·
Registered
2014 ZR8000lxr 21-22 mileage 500mi
4,729 Posts
LIke I said. Sometimes a challenge can be brought against someone and that doesn't pan out for the DQ. But they find something else that makes the tech team go "hmmmm" and that does. Right or wrong the tech team is responsible to ensure fairness at the race track. And a track that doesn't tech only hurts themselves IMO.

·
Registered
21,427 Posts
Adding racers is great but that does not sell sleds. Even winning races doesn’t sell sleds because cat probably has the most race wins in the last 20 years of all other manufacturers combined and clearly it didn’t help them. Cat has always put a ton of resources into racing while ski doo and Polaris really backed off. If cat continues with doing that and not focusing on what consumers want they will die holding the checkered flag.
If the sled sales numbers are correct from the other thread and cat/Yamaha are sitting at 5 percent I would call that hanging by a thread.
They also released a sled they won’t sell you. I hope it doesn’t go the route of the snow bike release they did at haydays 5 or so years ago

·
Registered
7,877 Posts
I think what BS is alluding to here is that cats race department has been known to support drag racers with some pretty good ecus as well as other questionable practices.
Stock class racing usually boils down to who is the best at getting into the gray area and a little beyond.Of course that applies to all racing but its especially true on “stock” sleds.
I would agree to the statment earlier that cats domination in drag racing never seems to translate to running down the lake with a group of trail sleds.Before cat it was doo for years with the same thing when it came to “stock”drag racing.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
known to support drag racers with some pretty good ecus
LOL...That was 20 years ago with the Firecats...They haven't been doing that for any racers for a long time...It's easy to whine about it for literally decades now...Maybe you dont remember the ISR changed the rules around 2004-05 and let the other stock class racers run aftermarket fuel mgmt on their sleds to try to even the racing up...Didnt work out the Cat tuners still cleaned house in the 700 stk class for years...A more egregious stock class rule violation was when Doo gave certain drag race teams their Mach 1x sleds...lol...Talk about a cheater sled...670cc...Twin Pipes...Twin 44mm carbs ...EXTREMELY hot ECU's...It was so blatant that in 1994 the ISR OUTLAWED those sleds from running in stock class......

·
Registered
265 Posts
I can't comment on the ctech since I've never owned one, but in my experience the Procross chassis just isn't fast across a lake. I've done a lot of work to my 15 to make it just okay. For what it's worth I'm not really impressed with a stock poo or doo 850's either. I understand this isn't what they were built for nor do a lot of riders care but it's what we are talking about it.

I don't want to open myself up to a public lynching here but my wife trail rides my 11 CFR 8 128. When it's time to cross a lake she will beat any stock 850 that we have in the group, hands down. Including my 15 with a ported riot kit, the thing just rocks.... Adjustable primary weights are the only aftermarket part in it.

101 - 120 of 138 Posts