Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Cat really has 9 lives. They just won’t die but bringing the new sled to Haydays without even an engine bolted in and it won’t be available until 2024 is barely scratching trying to hang on. Very pathetic in this era.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
One man's opinion... better this that what they have had to offer in recent years. Instead of griping, we should all be grateful they are still around, else we're down to a two-horse race, which is not in anyone's interest
It should be available for 23 season with at least an 850cc engine.
Both Doo and Polaris could have brought a new chassis with no engine and said look at what we are working on. Big deal

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Dont forget skidoo took polaris #1 spot with a new chassis and old engine. And polaris lost its ass with a new chassis and new engine in the next year. And polaris made ground a few years ago with a new engine and old chassis. If I remember right people were very happy about polaris 850 engine in the old chassis lol and the matryx chassis was a big enough difference to have improvements.
That’s completely different lol. The chassis doo came out with changed the industry and the engine they used was still competitive. What cat brought to Haydays is none of that and will not be taking the number one spot. What Polaris did a few years ago was a new engine and went back to the straight tunnel trail sleds which guys were dreaming of and asking for.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Yeah but if cat can made a better chassis that their last one, its still a good thing for cat. I'm not saying its ever going to bring them up a place. I'm just saying just because they didnt come out with a new engine doesnt mean its worthless.
Yup I agree, I just think they need more then a new more current chassis. It needs a competitive engine to complete the package.
Wondering if they wanted to release a new engine too, being it's a '24 model maybe they just knew they had to do something to get some hype going. Who's to say by '24 spring order they won't have a bigger bore? I'm sure they know they have got to do something. Soooo many die hard cat guys in our group are on other sleds now. 2 of them that I know actually have Arctic Cat tattoos! That's a bad sign lol.
I think to keep the hype going is exactly why they brought an unfinished sled to Haydays. It appears they are hanging by a thread.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Lets see. They added racers for the coming year. Making a new chassis. Yeah. Hanging by a thread might be a little bit off there bat.
Adding racers is great but that does not sell sleds. Even winning races doesn’t sell sleds because cat probably has the most race wins in the last 20 years of all other manufacturers combined and clearly it didn’t help them. Cat has always put a ton of resources into racing while ski doo and Polaris really backed off. If cat continues with doing that and not focusing on what consumers want they will die holding the checkered flag.
If the sled sales numbers are correct from the other thread and cat/Yamaha are sitting at 5 percent I would call that hanging by a thread.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
You would have to pick your poison...Are you a world class tuner or keyboard jockey...800cc CATZ have dominated stock class @ Haydays For almost a decade...Not 1 Polaris made the final, and only 2 Ski Doo's since 2015...An XF-800 has held the World Speed Record (118.5) in stock 800 with the NSSR since 2015...Soooo, If people think their sled is fast or their tuning ability is world class they should bring it to a NATIONAL EVENT and run it against REAL TUNERS....BTW...Im on a Ski-Doo currently, so NO dog in the fight....
They have dominated because of Cats race department, the guys racing them and the fact that almost no doo or Polaris has run stock 800 class at Haydays in a decade because of no factory support. The 800 Cat that ran 118.5 and never to be seen again... Funny one of the fellow Cat pros saw the sled and said it shouldn't have made it through tech.
Apparently theres BETTER tuners in Mn than in NY...BTW...Ron Bray who runs the NSSR has world class tech guys...No cheaters EVER make it thru their tech...Doesnt matter what engine manufacturer...It's all about 800cc class...Ive had 5 800cc catz since 2002...Guess which one was the fastest...YEP...The old school 2002 zr-8...It's laughable how much more top end speed that sled had than the others on an end of the earth lake run...
Yes, cheaters have got through Ron's tech. I saw it happen and things do get past them because somethings they cant catch everything.
No one can argue how fast the 800 ZUK is in a pro's hands with Cats looser then a $2 whore engine/sled filed specs but those sleds are nothing like what we race our buddy's with. Out on the lake Cat 800's do not compete with 850's and its not close. Stock for stock an AXYS or Indy 800 and doo's 800 etec would beat them up.

Last Weenie Roast I raced against some of the best Cat 800's, former Haydays stock 800 champs and a world record holder. With less then one season on a new to me 850 Polaris I got 2nd place.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
YEP...More than a few dozen like 9 world series on ice class champions...A few Minocqua Cups...Michigan Cups...MADRG Open Fuel Champ 3x...ASDRA Open Mod points champ 2x
Raced in 14 classes at most nat'l events...340 open/hvy mod...440 open/hvy mod...540 open/hvy mod...660 open/hvy mod...800 open/hvy mod...1000 open/hvy mod...Open Fuel n2o...AA stock (92 Mach 1x)...You couldnt afford the fuel bill... View attachment 2135810 View attachment 2135811
Wow, all of that and you’re in here trying to brag about the cat 800’s racing success? Well you of anyone should know comparing stock factory sponsored races sleds to trail sleds is irrelevant.
A little history lesson for ya, Jim Kane ran a 02 800 Polaris in 800 stock NSSR, sled was consistent in the 113 plus range and he eventually ran a 117 or 118 and backed it up for the world record. They found nothing on the sled that wasn’t legal but disqualified him because the pistons they said had evidence of nitrous burn marks. That was the last Polaris to actually try NSSR stock 800. He left NSSR and never returned. There is obviously political bs that goes into pro race results as well.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
So did he cheat ?

As a race director at our local drags (the last time we actually teched sleds) we would check the sleds that people challenged. Some won some lost on the challenge. You had to put up cash on the challenge. That limited the challenges believe me. Of course we asked you to be specific in the challenge. Hot fuel, over bore, cylinder porting etc... There were some who lost the challenge but the racer was dq'd anyway due to something else we found but wouldn't tell anyone. My favorite saying was "don't come back till you maker it legit". And if they came back I'm sure I could count on it being legit.

Too many cheaters, so little time to check them all!
I don’t know if he was cheating or not but I don’t believe based on what they found that he should have been disqualified.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
LOL...That was 20 years ago with the Firecats...They haven't been doing that for any racers for a long time...It's easy to whine about it for literally decades now...Maybe you dont remember the ISR changed the rules around 2004-05 and let the other stock class racers run aftermarket fuel mgmt on their sleds to try to even the racing up...Didnt work out the Cat tuners still cleaned house in the 700 stk class for years...A more egregious stock class rule violation was when Doo gave certain drag race teams their Mach 1x sleds...lol...Talk about a cheater sled...670cc...Twin Pipes...Twin 44mm carbs ...EXTREMELY hot ECU's...It was so blatant that in 1994 the ISR OUTLAWED those sleds from running in stock class......
Come on you know better then that; cat had and probably is still giving out race ecu programs for the ZUK 800. Most all the racers use the cat 800 race box. Yes ISR does allow an aftermarket fuel controller but it cant have ignition timing control so it does not compare to a fully setup factory race ECU. Cats filed weights are out to lunch and that is a huge reason they do so well racing. I've owned cat 800 zuk sleds, they were complete turds. I remember the Mach 1x, they were cool but yeah purpose built for racers.
I can't comment on the ctech since I've never owned one, but in my experience the Procross chassis just isn't fast across a lake. I've done a lot of work to my 15 to make it just okay. For what it's worth I'm not really impressed with a stock poo or doo 850's either. I understand this isn't what they were built for nor do a lot of riders care but it's what we are talking about it.
I don't want to open myself up to a public lynching here but my wife trail rides my 11 CFR 8 128. When it's time to cross a lake she will beat any stock 850 that we have in the group, hands down. Including my 15 with a ported riot kit, the thing just rocks.... Adjustable primary weights are the only aftermarket part in it.
Yeah I can see if your wife is smaller woman on a CFR 800 that runs good it can beat completely unsetup 850's across the lake. Put the same effort into a Polaris 850 and CFR will not run with it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts