Hardcore Sledder banner

Cat Shocks

1K views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  fireball 
#1 ·
i rode my 2003 f7 non snopro today.. the suspension kept bottoming out.. is it a chance my dealer could have set it too soft.. i let my friend ride it and he compared it to his moms zl 440.. not cool.. how long would it take for a dealer to stiffen my suspension up some for me.. i live apx. 10 minutes from dealer. need help because im going riding up in presque isle sunday.. dont wanna go up if my suspension will bottom out constantly

#6 ·
I am dissapointed in my shocks as well (F5 snopro)..not so much the front shocks but the rear one just sucks...I brought it in to my dealer and got them to make it as tight as possible..and when you stand on it and bounce it feels stiff but when you are ripping around and taking jumps I bottom out often....

#15 ·
Sounds like the springs aren't even on the spring blocks. No sled should bottom out from accelerating. He needs to adjust the spring blocks first. Then ride a little to verify. Adjust the couplers too to minimize weight tranfser and the feeling of the rear bottoming when accelerating. :ph34r:

#16 ·
My ZL has a tendency to do this, AT first I thought the shocks had crapped out on me. Here is the deal, I regrease my zerks every 300 miles or so. When the sled was sitting on ice or fresh snow and I sat on it , it would just bottom right out. I thought my springs were also bad, but what was happening was that with everything freshly greased and the ice the whole sled and skid would move forward just enough and cause the sled to bottom, I would bounce the back of the sled and stick the skis to the snow better and then sit on it , no problem. I even took it to the dealer once when it was doing it. test your sled on hardpack or bare ground and see if the sled will support your weight. You want a few inches of set in but not what you are experiencing.

G
#17 ·
One thing I do like about Cat shocks. They are rebuildable and can be tuned to the riders preferances I'll repeat that Preferances! Some peolple just like a firmer ride, others like it soft. If so, set your sled up accordingly.
I like to feel the trail under me, a soft ride and a sled that bottoms out "NOT"!!! So what does A guy do? $$$$ get the shocks tuned if I don't like it Get them done again, I don't like the fact that everybody In here is horsepower crazy. What use is that horsepower if you can't take it down the trail with out loosing it due to a bad suspension setup.
But that is just My point of view.

#19 ·
check to make sure your weld did not break on cross bar that holds the triangle spring cams,
i'm 265 and did not have a problem bottoming out, and i ride hard for a fat guy
have the cams set on stiffest, i did put on black magic alum. cams seem to stiffen up more than stock plastic ones

#20 ·
I don't understand when i hit a jump and get 20 feet of air my sled bottoms out. I have a snopro 700 and have the rear springs at the stock setting. i weigh 235 and poud the shit out of my sled and it seldom bottoms out and when it dose it is not harsh. sounds like some people have suspension problems if they can bottom it out with a hole shot. also if you are not bottoming out every now and then you are not using the full potential of your suspension. just kidding about 20 feet of air.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.