Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:( :( Well my dealer did eveything he could to get me going for this weekend, and yet again another
engine failure with only 11 miles on the new engine!!!! That makes 3 engine failures, 1 voltage regulator,
and 1 speedo-tach cluster and 1 reprogrammed ECU from CAT and a whopping 244 miles. I've missed 1
holiday, and had to borrow a '01 zr600efi for the other holiday!!!!

To say that I'm a little frustrated would be a serious understatement!!!

I know, when people see this like always I will be called a whiner. Whatever, I've bought 5 new sleds
and 1 new ATV in the last six years(all CATS) and I'm not looking to change brands I just want to ride
my NEW sled and not have to worry about how far I'm going to make it!!! The problem is that not
even Cat knows why my sled keeps blowing up.

I've used fuel from 3 different spots, so that's not an issue. I ran it with the ethanol switch on the last to
failures as per CAT's instructions till it broke in, but still the failures, even after my ECU went back to CAT!!!

This is not a dealer issue, they have tried everything in their power to keep me up and going, but this
sled just won't co-operate.

If anyone from Cat has any insight as to what I should do, please, please get in touch with me.

As it stands this year:

425 miles on my Dad's '02 ZR800efi Cross Country(my last years sled)
200 miles on a borrowed '01 ZR600efi(for a holiday)
244 miles on my Firecat(with all the problems listed above)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

= 1 Very Frustrated Cat Fanatic

It's very embarrassing to be towed by the competition, but try every time you ride(THAT SUX)

Sure an extra year of warranty would be nice, but what good is that if you can't ride it anyway!!!!

JUST WANT TO RIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dallas :( :(

·
Registered
4 Posts
Dallas, I kind of created this forum with you in mind..
If anyone deserves help from Cat, it is you.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:( Thanks alot, I really do appreciate the support!!!!

And to be fair to Arctic Cat thay have been trying they just haven't got a handle on this one yet.

They did force out a cylinder to me because of all my problems and did reprogram my ECU and get it
back to me fairly quickly, just nothing seems to have solved it yet.

And once again I really do appreciate the support!!!

Your Website KICKS ASS Rob!!!!

You're sled is the reason I still believe that they will eventually get my sled running!!!

3700 trouble free miles speaks for itself!!!!!

Thanks,

Dallas

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
INSTEAD OF UR WINTER BEING WASTED AND UR DEALER'S TIME WHY CAN'T THEY SEND
A HOLE NEW MOTOR IN A CREATE ALONG WITH A NEW COMPUTER???3 MOTOR'S!!!
COME ON CAT PEOPLE LIKE HIM KEEP U GUY'S AFLOAT...HELP HIM OUT NOT WITH
MORE PART'S WHICH SEEM TO MAKE NO DIFFERENCE GIVE HIM A NEW MACHINE OR
ENGINE!!!!!!MY 2 CENT'S!!

·
Registered
84 Posts
dallief7
Have you brought up the possibility of a new sled?How about a refund?Seems to me that if anyone deserves one it would be you.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:huh: Actually I mentioned that to them, my dealer had no problem with that but Arctic Cat certainly
did not like that idea!!!!

·
Registered
2021 VR1 850, 18 Tiger 8000, 17 RS 6000, 16 ZR 6000, 12 F1100T, 11 EXT 800, 09 Z1 Turbo, 05 ZR 900
10,201 Posts
Listen get on the phone with TRF tommorow explain your problems and they should ship out a new engine for you or pull a motor out of sled that hasn't sold yet, so you can be ready to go by next Friday. You sound like you are loyal customer I think they will take that in account. And lets face it the season isn't getting any longer. Good Luck

·
Registered
47 Posts
1st thing, have your dealer flow check the front cooling extrustion for blockage. If he hasn't recieved info on this check procedure, have him call Arctic service. It's a simple check, but VERY important to do first. If flow is OK, get the engine fixed, check the oil pump and make sure it's pumping oil at low throttle. If in doubt, replace the pump. Shorten the oil pump arm up as short as it will go by loosening the jam nut, and turning the threaded portion of the arm in. Make sure the oil fittings in the intake flanges are not obstructed. Because you've had this much trouble (which I am very sorry for) you should start again from the begining and run 70/1 pre-mix until this situation can get under control. The problem lies in high coolant temp/low oil delivery at 5000-6000 RPM's with steady driving in that area. If the chassis cooler (front) is obstructed, it will not cool. If the cooling conditions are poor and/or the mudflap sucks up, it will overheat. This radically compounds the problem. I will try to watch for any comments from you, but it is difficult for me based on my workload. I know this can be sorted out.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the response, and my dealer is going to check that front exchanger today!!!

I was curious, wouldn't the overheat light come on if there wasn't enough coolant getting through. I have
yet to see it even flash. All my burndowns have happened in that 5500-7000rpm range, never at full
throttle.(my snowflap has never been sucked under yet)

I will keep you informed as to if the front exchanger is the culprit or if it something else!!!

By the way my dealer is Moose Mountain Liesure. (Brian) He has been excellent through all this.
These guys know what thier doing, as you know this is where Olah Racing is based out of.

Once again thanks for responding gls, and I will keep you informed!!!!

Dallas

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Dallas

I hope everything works out for you. As you can tell it looks like Cat is very concerned, as per gls's response.

Matt

PS gls I am glad you are listening!

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
The way it sounds to me the motors are fine, it is the other things, like heat exchangers and oil pumps that are the culprits of the problems. Not the actual design of the motor itself. IMHO

·
Registered
245 Posts
Hey Dallie, When My sled blew the motor, there was NO LIGHT FALSHING. I know you have read (HERE) that that is TYPICALLY NOT THE CASE, but IT HAPPENS WITH NO WARNING.

Make sure they BLED THE SYSTEM PROPERLY. This is what caused mine to lose the engine. Once they did the work on the engine, and Bob from cat spoke to my dealer, they got it FIRST TIME. Now I got 900 TROUBLE FREE MILES (Well, except for losing suspension bolts....)

The fact you got a RESPONSE FROM gls is VERY PROMISING. CAT IS LISTENING TO YOU, MY FRIEND. The END IS NEAR FOR YOU.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Originally posted by aczr600@Feb 3 2003, 01:51 PM
OBVILIOUSLY CAT SHOULD HAVE TESTED THESE MOTORS OUT A LITTLE MORE BEFORE RELEASING THEM TO THE PUBLIC.
Test these motors more, come guys, we all couldnt wait for the F7s to hit the floor, I will bet that better than 25% of the F7 owners will buy the next Firecat (F8 or F9) when it comes out, knowing that we will have some of the same problems we seen this year. We are a bunch that wants to ride the fastest and best when it comes and we want it now!!!

GLS, count me in this year for the F8, F9 or the turbocharged 4 stroke.... Problems be damn, my dealer and cat will make it right!!!!

·
Registered
827 Posts
hey dallie,sorry to hear about your problem, i have only 30 miles on my f7,what an animal way different than any of my other cats, i can't wait till it's broken in and i can see what it really does,but in my mind is the constant fear of a burn down,but i will enjoy it anyway,and i feel confident that cat is there for all of us,,

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It has been frustrating but I believe Cat will take care of me too. And you're right in the little time that
mine ran properly it was frightening how much power it had. The handling is to die for just like all my other
Cats. I will keep you all posted with what happens with my situation!!!!

Should know more tommorrow!!!!

dallas

·
Registered
155 Posts
Sorry to read about your problems. :( That really sux!!! You should consider installing a temp gauge on your sled. I installed one on my first new sled ('99 Z440) and have removed and re-installed the same gauge on all my other sleds since then, including my F7. (trade in for a new sled every year).
You'd be amazed at how fast the temp can go up as riding conditions change. I never trust the idiot lights especially on the F7. It seems once the light goes on, the engine is already cooked. Just my 2 cents.
Anyway, hope things turn around for you real soon because you're missing out on riding the best sled in town. jv :p

1 - 20 of 32 Posts