Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I have been watching my kids running out of options on their ZR120, but are too small to handle a full size 370 or 440, I have been wondering why no one has come out with a Mid-Size sled.
A 2/3 size Firecat Chassis would be the perfect platform for a 370 fan cooled transition sled for our kids.
Most surveys show that the average age of sledders with newer equipment is 35-45 years of age. Many of which have probably 2 or more children who also love to ride with Mom and Dad, and want to ride themselves as well.
Why is it then that all the Manufacturers including CAT, have forgotten this segment of the market, which is the future of their business and our sport.
You jump from a little ZR 120 or MiniZ to a full size Chassis adult sled.
Give us a mid-size light weight sled for our growing kids, and you will blow the top off the market, one which has yet to be tapped. Build it and we will buy...........................................

Kevin

·
Registered
151 Posts
Got the perfect sled to base it off of...79 Lynx 3000 :) Got one in the garage, it was what I learned on. It has a 340 twin free air that only does 40 if that. Real light and gets around great.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
How old are the kids? Here in Ontario you need a drivers license to legally drive a snowmachine which I believe you can't get until you are 12. I'm not sure if the 120's are even legal to ride besides on your own property :unsure:

·
Registered
930 Posts
Originally posted by flyingf7sp@Dec 28 2002, 05:12 AM
How old are the kids? Here in Ontario you need a drivers license to legally drive a snowmachine which I believe you can't get until you are 12. I'm not sure if the 120's are even legal to ride besides on your own property :unsure:
In New York kids can take an 8 hour snowmobile safety course and be certified to ride at age 10. Parents judgment comes into play obviously, but like CaptainKev I would be in line for a mid-sized Cat for my son...Marc

·
Registered
210 Posts
I couldn't agree more. I have 2 children ages 4 and 6. They love to ride, but have to ride with us, for now anyway. But the day is quickly approaching where my son will get his own sled (about 3 years out). My plan right now is to get him a Z370. But I am apprehensive, even when he is 10, because its just so big. A 2/3 scale chassis with a 370cc would be perfect!

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
I too started my little Guy on a ZR120. He quickly outgrew it and the only newer sled I could find that would blow him out of the water was a 340.
Finally ending getting his a panther 340. Here in Sask. the kids 12 to 16 are not insured for anything over 340. Which puts the 370's out.
But once in a while I let him on the lake with Dad's ZR just to straight line blasts.
BTW. He has a safety course, which I highly recommend. I took it too!

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Michigan also requires a Sled Safety Course as well as the child being 12 to operate the sled on the trail system or public road.
But, but getting the kids on an F3...............I like the sound of that, they could learn to operate and handle the speed of a bigger sled so that when they can ride on the trails, they are already used to it and it would be safer for all concerned.
Another thought would be to put a throttle adjustment control on the F3, so that the parent could slowly advance the speed at which the little Sledheads could operate the sled. This could be as simple as an adjustment bolt that limits the throttle cable input.

Kevin

1 - 8 of 8 Posts