Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys (and any gals out there):

Posting for a friend with an 800 MX-Z Adrenaline and am looking for advice on studding (our group's had all brands in the past including many Ski-Doo's, but this is our first REV).

Interested in opinions on the best studs, the best patterns and any practical "do's" and "do not's" that come from actually going through the studding process.

He weighs about 170. We're pretty aggressive trail riders, covering 150 to 250 / day depending on conditions. No clutch and no plans to do so. Currently he's running stock carbides, but would appreciate information on that front as well.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Buddy of mine has same sled he put 96 down the middle and 6 inch carbides both inside and out on ski's it seems to handle pretty nice setup this way, 96 studs is just enough to give a little control on the icy sections to keeep the rear end from sliding out, and the little more carbide helped to compensate the extra traction, I have 05 Gade 800 and I went with 2 in each bar down the middle as well with 9 inch runners on the ski's worked well for my style of riding and I ride kind of aggresively also

·
Registered
694 Posts
for an agressive rider i would lean towards 144 down the center. 96 is a decent amout but with aggressive riding, and a 800 to boot, you might get in to tear outs or bending. i really like fas-trac or stud boy studs myself. i like woodys also but find that they dont lay as flat against the track as the other two. :div20:

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
96 down the center,another 48 on the outsides. Use a track drill bit, and stay away from the outer edge by a good 1/2". This will net the greatest acceleration and cornering. Run 8" carbides up front, unless the ski's are of a dual-runner type. In that case, let's say precision skis, run one 6", and one 4" on each ski, with the 6" being on the inside of each ski.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the information, guys.....very helpful. I've used Fast-Tracs myself and others have had good luck with Woody's. Now, do you have any suggested patterns and what length is ideal to run for a 1" track?

Again, thanks for the all the help.

·
Registered
71 Posts
96 is not enough for an 800. You will rip them out. You want at least one stud per hp!
Less, you will spin to much and a stud will randomly catch and bend or rip out. 120 may be ok, but most go with 144.
If I were you, I would go 144 down middle like the previous pic.
Make them random going down the track to get as many scratch lines as possible.

Pic of scratch lines so you know what I mean, but only 96 shown for 500SS or 600.

Make sure you put tunnel protectors on or you will go through your coolers.
min of 3/4 protector for 1" lug and min of 1.25 protector for 1.25" lug (1.325" studs)

Remove mud flap, replace rivets with St steel bolts, wachers and lock nuts.
cut top side of window to pull out protectors and install new ones.

When drilling out for studs, don't get your boggies and don't place them to close together so the backers hit/overlap.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.