Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys - Buddy of mine bought an 06 Fusion 900 the end of last season. Blew a belt in the first 50 miles, dealer says he didn't break it in properly. After about 200 miles we lined up on the lake. My F7 has a few extras but nothing special and I took him by about 4 sleds in about 800 ft. This seems like a pretty decent sled and I'm thinking it should do much better than what it did. I know CATs pretty well but am clueless with Polaris. He asked if I could clutch it to give it some more gettyup. Is there a particular setup that has been working. Should I be looking at belt alignment. Any recalls he should be aware of?. My buddy is the type to just get on it and ride it for the next four years without ever lifting the hood unless something breaks - zero maintenance.

He's not real happy with the sled and looking to trade it in but he's going to take a big hit and I'm thinking like all sleds, there are minor mods that can be made to make this thing go.

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
6,369 Posts
slp motor mounts are a must , ditch all the stock clutching and gear down some. With traction he should be out in front to about 80~90 mph after the surgery.then your f7 will go by on the top end . 600' race fusion every time , 800' race good chance you have made up the ground and by 1000' your checking out.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
do some looking on here in various clutching threads. first check out motor mounts to make sure they are not junk allready. check the alignment and makes sure it is good. then put slp torque and push arms on, they will hold the motor in place good. then clutch it. this was not probably this guys best choice in a sled if doesnt know how to wrench on a sled. call a dealer and make them run the vin and make sure all proper updates have been done.!!!!

·
Registered
430 Posts
God help your buddy.

He should have asked around before he plunked down his $$ for the Fusion 9. Most Polaris dealers still have new ones for sale cheap, those that had them were glad to be rid of them. Some still have them and can't sell them.

If he ever wants rid of it, he's going to take a bath big time.

Do a search on this site in the Fusion forum. Plenty of bad news to read about. I'm a Polaris rider myself so I ain't bashing.

Have him insure it well and leave the key in it somewhere populated. With luck, someone unknowing will take it away.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Setup right he will love that sled, it sucks that they have such a bad rap, most people don't have a clue on this sled but what they have read. They ride and handle awesome and if he gets the clutching dialed in with torque stops he will be head of the pack. Put the 66/44 helix black/red spring in the seconary and a almond spring in the primary clutch and dial the rpms in with the wieght and it will run good no belt problems.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
God help your buddy.

He should have asked around before he plunked down his $$ for the Fusion 9. Most Polaris dealers still have new ones for sale cheap, those that had them were glad to be rid of them. Some still have them and can't sell them.

Do a search on this site in the Fusion forum. Plenty of bad news to read about. I'm a Polaris rider myself so I ain't bashing.

Have him insure it well and leave the key in it somewhere populated. With luck, someone unknowing will take it away.[/b]
no offense but if u cant help then please dont comment on something u dont own. its too late cause the guy owns it.definetly was not is best choice for a pull and go. :beerchug: get it set up fine and the guy will be fine.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Get off and go ride your little fan sled,jerk. I ride with about 4-5 fusions and really no major issues,like they said,go get the torque stops,a cold air kir and ride it. These sleds really a'heeyys. I have had no issues with my 755,and the CAT boys can either. If you wonna talk shit,look up all tyhe recalls the f-7 had in 2003,if I remember correctly it was close to 100. True this sled is not for the guy who just wants to ride with no maint. but if the tricks are done it can;t be beat or the money,There isn't another led out thereith he power and features or 5000

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys for the help and I certainly didntly want to start anything. Good info - if I was a hartless bastard I'd print this thread out for him to read but then I might loose a riding buddy.

Thanks Again

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
The sled has huge potential. 99% of the people slamming them do not own one. I personally had a shitbox of a 2005 fusion but all my problems were directly tied to the dealer. if his service department would have had 1/2 of a working brain between the 5 of them. I would not have had any problems.

And your buddy got a 2006, so half of the potential issues are already solved in that model year!!

Al this sled needs is a qualified tech to set it up, and some minor clutch mods. The SLP torque stops are nice, but not really needed if the clutching is handled right away.

The one item to get if I only had one choice (besides correcting the clutching) would be a set of Compfusion's motor mounts.

I am on a 2006 900 Switchback right now, and absolutely love this sled. and the only difference between the switch and the fusion is bodywork, and the skid!

If I had the money to spare I would buy another fusion in a heartbeat. Alot has been learned about these sleds in the last 2 years!

·
Registered
911 Posts
A guy I ride with, Ron, has a 2005 Fusion 900 with SLP porting, pipe, clutching recommendations, and reflashed ECU and it as been a VERY reliable and STRONG runner! He had all of the updated done, but it seems like his motor really took to the SLP products. I am not sure if he is using an aftermarket torque arm or not. It t might be likened to his previous sled, a 1987 Exciter, which was somewhat problematic when stock but was way reliable and fast after he put a bunch of PSI parts on it. His Fuse cranks out hp in the 160's now. Fast sled!

·
Registered
700 Posts
God help your buddy.

Have him insure it well and leave the key in it somewhere populated. With luck, someone unknowing will take it away.[/b]
Funny how most people who talk like this dont have one.for the record one dealer in my area (Filers motorsports)has taken two truck loads of leftover 900s and sold the all.they know how to set them up and fix them.
put a polaris almon/red(165/310) primary spring in,use the stock weights,66-44 helix,black/red secondary.buy the slp torque arm and the recoil side stop,install the slp hot air elimination kit.You will absolutely love this sled and be amased at how much better this is with these small mods! :div20:

·
Super Advanced Member
4,102 Posts
i bought mine at filers

·
Registered
851 Posts
There is a reason the Fusion 9 was built only 2 years then discontinued. Not just the motor, the name as well.

Good luck.[/b]
Yeah because of posts like this! People not knowing what they are talking about. They don't make F7s anymore either- what's your point?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts