Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are a few on here that have done it and I was wondering what you set the offest at when running a cat secondary on a polaris. I will be running the heelclicker variable radious helix cover kit on my edge xcr and am also wondering if anyone has tried a straight 54 (I will be starting with a straight 50 and cat yellow per Phil)

·
Premium Member
18,487 Posts
I know there are a few on here that have done it and I was wondering what you set the offest at when running a cat secondary on a polaris. I will be running the heelclicker variable radious helix cover kit on my edge xcr and am also wondering if anyone has tried a straight 54 (I will be starting with a straight 50 and cat yellow per Phil)[/b]
Here you go John:
The Cat secondary inner sheave is a bit thinner than the Polaris. Therefore, add about 1/16 - 1/8" more to the stock 5/8" offset. It's also a bit smaller in OD than the Polaris, so you need to have belt a bit higher above the sheaves at launch (deflection setting is the same). You must remove a washer or two from between the sheaves to do this.

BTW, my Canadian BIL just installed this setup with straight 50 degree variable radius helix on his 1029 Price ice racer 97 Storm. It RAN VERY WELL in testing a couple weeks ago at our lake!. We'll be testing at a lake in N. Lower MI this weekend.

Phil

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
The arctic yellow is good for the old button clutch but not for any roller expecially steel on steel roller. Aleast start with arctic red/white or Supertorquer red.

·
Premium Member
18,487 Posts
The HC variable radius helix grips the belt harder as it upshifts than any comparable Cat helix. I've used the Yellow spring for years with that setup with zero belt slip and great backshifting. Why use a stronger helix spring than what's needed to prevent belt slippage?

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
I was running a heavier sec spring for yrs before but last yr in my 600xcsp I tried a yellow spring with the straight 42 heel-x and adjusted my heelclickers for my desired peek rpm. Sled felt slow and I was not happy with it. Belt was always hot and lost rpm. I switched to heelclicker red and added weight back into the primary. No belt heat issues, no rpm loss and my sled GLH! I have a buddy with zrt and a couple yrs ago I told him to swap the cat red/white for yellow and take weight out of the primary. Same thing happened to him. He put the red/white back in, added weight and the sled ran great again. IMO regardless of the heel-x sec being variable radius being its steel against steel which in my experiance requires more spring pressure. Our shop has been running Randys stuff(some junk) since day one(his shop is 30 minutes away). My boss has owned AC's BB 1035, 1160 and a Turbo Yami and I never seen him with any spring less than the Heelclicker red in his rigids or cat heel-x secoundaries. Possibly the yellow may work with shallower helix's than the 42.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts