Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, i will be going down to the Kenai/Soldotna Area from the 28th till the 1st and would like to hit up Caribou Hills. I have never been there if someone wants to do a meet and greet that would be cool, otherwise can somebody give me directions to where I can unload my sled and head for some powder. Either way, ill still need directions. So if anyone wants to pm me some directions id appreciate it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My buddy is coming down the same way this saturday evening for new years ride at caribou. I have only been there once during the summer you just follow the sterling highway down towards homer. Once you hit Ninilchik, turn left and go down Oil Well Road. Follow it to the end and there should be parking lots and a large kind of lodge place on the left. Look for the crowds I am sure will be there and I'll be the clueless looking guy on a new phazer... with a red jacket...

·
Registered
479 Posts
You can also go in at the Centennial Trail head. Go down Johnson Lake RD in Kasilof and follow it all the way down. Once you get off the maintained RD should only be a nother half mile and you will see the trail in on the right. Should also be trucks and trailers in the area.

·
Registered
388 Posts
and yet another option is to hit the parkinglot at Clam Gulch. You will see lots of trucks and trailers. The trail takes off right from the road. I would STRONGLY ADVISE stopping at the map shop aross from Fred Meyers or one of the local Snowmachine shops and get the tyvek map of the hills. It shows the trails and has LOTS of GPS info. There are ALOT of new logging road this year and alot of clear cutting so the landscape has changed a good bit. The map will atleast show you the color of the trail markers and give you GPS info incase you do get "turned" around (next best thing to being lost). Last year I got turned around in a blizzard (the same one the 60 Yr old guy spent the night out in cause he got lost) Had it now been for that map I am sure we would have run out of gas trying to get back off those unmarked logging roads. They are bit spendy at 22 or 23 bucks but it just may save your trip...

·
Registered
479 Posts
good advise! I have one of those maps and they are a life saver! With so many groomed trails up there it's hard sometimes knowing which way to turn without that map
watch out for moose on the trail as well!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the directions, ill be heading that way in a few hours. Im sure ill be out riding tomorrow if you see a newer Blue/Gray Ford Superduty, with a Green F7 thats me. The sled has been destickered and has a Black Nose peice with Airbrushed flames and such on it. If you see me dont hesitate to say Hi, and ill have to pick up one of those maps.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Just got back from the hills. Oilwell road was plowed this morning cause there was 6" of fresh from lastnight. It was snowing when I left the hills, but it looked like there was lots of sunshine headed that way. I am loading the sleds and heading back up tonight. See you guys on the trails

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.