Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last weekend thieves struck a local snowmobile parking lot, and sawed off a few catalytic converters. I't a shame you can't even park without being worried. Local authorities are working on this case.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Last weekend thieves struck a local snowmobile parking lot, and sawed off a few catalytic converters. I't a shame you can't even park without being worried. Local authorities are working on this case.[/b]
What town? What lot? so maybe we can avoid it. Thanks

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
catalytic converters? wtf? why?[/b]
Catalytic converters are lined with platinum and recyclers are giving about $100 apeice for them. It's been happening all over the country, mostly in rural areas.

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
Here is a recent news story on this rash of crime:

Catalytic Converter Theft Warning For Car Owners
Monday March 19, 2007
CityNews.ca Staff
What's the one thing you'd expect car thieves to take besides your vehicle itself?

A stereo system, your cell phone, maybe something out of your glove compartment.

But your catalytic converter?

Chances are most drivers don't even know where the device, which helps control emissions, is on their automobiles.

But crooks do.

It turns out the piece of equipment that sits out of sight on your car contains ingredients that are becoming increasingly valuable on the black market. And it's incredibly easy to steal.

"All it takes is a sawzall with a metal blade, a couple of quick cuts and it's out," explains Cam Young, a mechanic at Cam's Auto Service. "Less than two minutes."

And it's a growing crime. One Brampton auto shop recently lost $1 million worth of catalytic converters.

What's the big attraction? It's what inside that counts.

Catalytic converters contain expensive precious metals like platinum - which is worth up to $1,200 an ounce; palladium, which can fetch $320 an ounce and rhodium, the biggest prize of all. It goes for up to $6,000 an ounce on the market.

The fact so many are disappearing doesn't shock Young. "With the price of the scrap, the value of the part, how easy it is to steal, I'm not surprised at all."

Ironically, replacing a converter will only run you about $300. But to a thief, all those separate parts are as good as gold.

"It's not just warehouse thefts we're hearing about," relates P.C. Sean Piper of Peel Regional Police. "We're actually having small cases of public parking lots, vehicles that are being left in GO stations."

You can't lock them down and you can't really stop a determined thief from making off with it. So what can you do to protect yourself?

Try to park in a safe and secure place, where a stranger with a saw would be instantly suspect. And when possible, keep your car in your garage instead of on your driveway.

·
Registered
653 Posts
protected by smith and wesson sticker on the windshield does the trick. wonder how much the lead is worth to them??

·
Registered
653 Posts
protected by smith and wesson sticker on the windshield does the trick. wonder how much the lead is worth to them?? them hydrashocks aint cheap!!!

·
Registered
653 Posts
Any scrap metal yard. You have to show ID to get rid of them though.[/b]

nooooo people will find you. i had an add on craigslist for a wrecked jetta i am parting out, i still get emails askin if the cats are still available. theres guys that just drive around shop to shop looking for junk exhausts they can cut up. my buddy has a guy come by once a week buying any old cats laying around

·
Registered
397 Posts
protected by smith and wesson sticker on the windshield does the trick. wonder how much the lead is worth to them??[/b]
It is not lead in cc lead has little value don't believe everything 900 says sometimes he is wrong :flamethrowingsmiley:

·
Registered
653 Posts
It is not lead in cc lead has little value don't believe everything 900 says sometimes he is wrong :flamethrowingsmiley:[/b]
i was refering to the lead from the smith and wesson!

·
Registered
499 Posts
It is not lead in cc lead has little value don't believe everything 900 says sometimes he is wrong :flamethrowingsmiley:[/b]
Your right. its not the lead. It was the first thing that came to my mind when reading about the value. I was wrong.

But....When was the last time you picked up lead? you would be shocked at what lead flashing around chimneys goes for these days for something that you seem to think is has little value.

I hope this isnt how you and I are going to live now.... A little political disagreement and all... next thing I know you'll be dragging it all back up a year from now like my buddy Webba....

Nothing says you got burned like holding a grudge.... I guess i got to you fairly decent. Sorry about that.

·
Registered
326 Posts
nooooo people will find you. i had an add on craigslist for a wrecked jetta i am parting out, i still get emails askin if the cats are still available. theres guys that just drive around shop to shop looking for junk exhausts they can cut up. my buddy has a guy come by once a week buying any old cats laying around[/b]
I hear ya. I'm a tech at a Jeep dealershiop ad we have guys come by almost daily looking for junk cats. I'm not giving them away, I have a guy that comes around about once a month that I deal with.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts