Hardcore Sledder banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Bone stock mach z's are not all that fast. I've beaten them with my 00 600 ves if they slept. Only a few guys i know with a lot of setup, and tuning experience were able to have really fast ones. You go back to earlier late 90's mach z 800's they were even slower. 800 twins today would kick their ass.
i beat a early model srx 7 with my first rmk. they all need some set up to be truly potent.

·
Registered
44,196 Posts
98 srx700's all sucked. Most came from the factory with bad cranks and half the owners never knew it. They were a perfect example of what i was posting earlier with a possibility on your current rmk.
A friend that was up in quebec on a trip had a new 98 srx 700....it too ran like dog chit. Beat it every time we ran when i had my 98 xc 600. He was pissed...we couldn't find the reason up there, but he found out back home when the dealer had to replace the crank. Much different sled afterwards. I did a trip also with bo gunning's pit crew...one of the guys had a stock low miles 98 700 srx when i had my 00 600 ves. Those 2 sleds ran all week nearly identical in performance to each other.

·
Premium Member
6,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
98 srx700's all sucked. Most came from the factory with bad cranks and half the owners never knew it. They were a perfect example of what i was posting earlier with a possibility on your current rmk.
A friend that was up in quebec on a trip had a new 98 srx 700....it too ran like dog chit. Beat it every time we ran when i had my 98 xc 600. He was pissed...we couldn't find the reason up there, but he found out back home when the dealer had to replace the crank. Much different sled afterwards. I did a trip also with bo gunning's pit crew...one of the guys had a stock low miles 98 700 srx when i had my 00 600 ves. Those 2 sleds ran all week nearly identical in performance to each other.
01 and 02 srxs were the runners by most accounts.looked alot better too imo.

even those though dont transfer for shit.great top end.

·
Registered
44,196 Posts
01 and 02 srxs were the runners by most accounts.looked alot better too imo.

even those though dont transfer for shit.great top end.
Idk, a buddies srx does ok. With 192 picks in the track it hooks and carries the skis a long ways out. You's need a very good running stock xcr8 to beat that sled.

·
Premium Member
6,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Idk, a buddies srx does ok. With 192 picks in the track it hooks and carries the skis a long ways out. You's need a very good running stock xcr8 to beat that sled.
i live in bizaro world where studs are not allowed though.

traction is cheatin' round' here.makes zero fucking sense but it is what it is.

·
Registered
44,196 Posts
i live in bizaro world where studs are not allowed though.

traction is cheatin' round' here.makes zero fucking sense but it is what it is.
Reminds me of one race we had on a lake in quebec with a local frenchman on a mach z that wanted to run our sleds. All he did was trench and go nowhere getting beat bad by even my ves 600. Even raced me from a 20 mph roll-on and i still narrowly beat him. To find later his sled wasn't studded. Its like going to a gun fight with a sling shot.

·
Premium Member
6,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Reminds me of one race we had on a lake in quebec with a local frenchman on a mach z that wanted to run our sleds. All he did was trench and go nowhere getting beat bad by even my ves 600. Even raced me from a 20 mph roll-on and i still narrowly beat him. To find later his sled wasn't studded. Its like going to a gun fight with a sling shot.
yep.but when everyone else is in the same boat, its even again lol.its why i prefer the 144 footprint

·
Premium Member
6,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Gotta tell your guys to get with it....who races without studs.
everyone here lol.i dont agree with it, but i dont make the rules either.

·
Premium Member
6,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·

·
Premium Member
6,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Stupid rules...don't they know studs save lives.
so anyways , the edge reeds had the middle petals on one side unbroken , but a sizable gap stay open.

got the carbontech petals installed now and held up to the light theres not a bit in any of em'

·
Registered
44,196 Posts
so anyways , the edge reeds had the middle petals on one side unbroken , but a sizable gap stay open.

got the carbontech petals installed now and held up to the light theres not a bit in any of em'
Make sure you install those carbon fiber reeds correctly. Those petals have a slight curvature so they seal well. I had the old stock glass reeds with what i thought had an excessive gap also. They seemed gas/oil soaked too. I replaced them with the boyesen power reeds at the time which seemed to work really well, but they slowly degrade where its not really noticeable till you replace them. I'm sold on the carbon tech mt reeds...had them in for 3 seasons...sled runs just as crisp. With those you'll likely have to do some minor carb tweaking to make that engine run perfect.

·
Premium Member
6,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Make sure you install those carbon fiber reeds correctly. Those petals have a slight curvature so they seal well. I had the old stock glass reeds with what i thought had an excessive gap also. They seemed gas/oil soaked too. I replaced them with the boyesen power reeds at the time which seemed to work really well, but they slowly degrade where its not really noticeable till you replace them. I'm sold on the carbon tech mt reeds...had them in for 3 seasons...sled runs just as crisp. With those you'll likely have to do some minor carb tweaking to make that engine run perfect.

yep for sure.good to hear.

the instructions say some motors require an 1/8 turn in on the fuel screw.so thats what i did.

·
Registered
44,196 Posts
Mine were dead on from the boyesen power reeds that i previously installed, but i recall having to tweak the fuel screws when i installed those. At any rate its perfectly normal if having to do this with any aftermarket reed. Problem is you'll likely need to wait for winter temps to get it right. I had to play with the air screws to by tweaking them a bit for the sharpest response.

·
Premium Member
6,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Mine were dead on from the boyesen power reeds that i previously installed, but i recall having to tweak the fuel screws when i installed those. At any rate its perfectly normal if having to do this with any aftermarket reed. Problem is you'll likely need to wait for winter temps to get it right. I had to play with the air screws to by tweaking them a bit for the sharpest response.
it calls for a turn in of 1/8 on the fuel screws.got that done for a baseline.

·
Premium Member
6,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
getting tempted to do the slp airbox mod and gut the thing and rejet or get a tempaflo for the sole reason i hate fucking airboxs. be so much easier to just reach inside the bastard to seat the carbs .

i dont know if im retarded or what , but its always a god dam struggle.

·
Registered
44,196 Posts
getting tempted to do the slp airbox mod and gut the thing and rejet or get a tempaflo for the sole reason i hate fucking airboxs. be so much easier to just reach inside the bastard to seat the carbs .

i dont know if im retarded or what , but its always a god dam struggle.
Well gutted air box tests we did on a stock 600 edge with get you less fuel economy in the mid range plus more intake noise. They are resonance tuned especially the later 03-on ones. The slp air box lid only works on modded 600-660's that have aftermarket, or twin pipes, porting and v-force cages. They even appeared to make the sled slower on a stock 600.

·
Registered
44,196 Posts
Don't know about an rmk but installing the air box on my 05 600 takes less than 5 minutes to fully install. Its a bigger pita to take it out having to pop those vent lines off the air box nipples. Once you learn how to twist and angle the air box in place and loosen those carb intake boot clamps...its childs play. Air box will slip right in place.

·
Premium Member
6,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 · (Edited)
Don't know about an rmk but installing the air box on my 05 600 takes less than 5 minutes to fully install. Its a bigger pita to take it out having to pop those vent lines off the air box nipples. Once you learn how to twist and angle the air box in place and loosen those carb intake boot clamps...its childs play. Air box will slip right in place.
well, it appears the new reeds and fuel screw adjustment netted a much nicer burn on idle and ran her up to 4-6000 rpms in the shed varying between them and idle ,shut her off, repeat x5 or 6 times a min or two each.pulled plugs . no more black soaked plugs. i think im finally getting somewhere.

of course it could be a little lean in winter temps, ill definitely be testing immediately when snow hits next season for sure, but i think it looks great in comparison as it sits.big difference.

sent my tach off to crankshop for calibration today.

ill set the tps next, then its dig into the clutchs. clip the track lug down to 1.3 or something vs the 2 inch lug.

im comin' for that rematch , xc !

plugprereeds1.jpg
AAAAAplug.jpg

21 - 40 of 40 Posts