Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
Polaris '20 INDY 550 Adv 144 / Polaris '23 Switchback 650 XC 144
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of switching from 1.35 cobra tracks on my 550 Indy Adventure 144 in favor of 1.6 cobra track that I will add igrip studs to. With this added rear traction, do I need to switch my front carbides from the original factory ones and if so which length/style/brand should I switch too? I ride 80-20 trail to off-trail - some use on frozen lakes but there is usually some snow cover on them - trails often have hard-packed corners (hence the igrips).

·
Registered
48,399 Posts
Pros/cons of 4" dueces vs 6" dueces on my setup (550 engine, 144 track, 1.6 cobra + igrip screwins)?
Pro's...Just figured with a 144 1.6 lug track, with those type of studs, a sleds with 4'' carbides would be more phone to pushing when taking a turn. 6'' deuce bars would bite harder.
Con's...other then that, really no difference, just the cost.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks. Left to my own devices I would have guessed 6” were right length but wanted to make sure there wasn’t something unique about these doubles that would have made 4” a better choice.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
ya this topic could be rated 2nd in content to an oil thread! Yes , more carbide to handle the situation applies. I highly recommend stud boy shapers! Your sled I would go 6” . Don’t forget how important it is on chassis set up/ front rear balance it has a lot to with your question also!

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Deuce bars are similar to shapers, just with double the host bar with same length carbide except 2 of them. Makes steering effort much less for a long day. Imo, they perform nearly as good as the single shaper bar.
Yep. What ever floats your boat... every sled is different I guess on how it reacts to a certain bar. I wish folks would really sit down and read there manual on what it has to say on suspension adjustments. Yes it’s basic but there is even more in depth stuff online to watch. People would be able to find/ make better choices on carbide.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yep. What ever floats your boat... every sled is different I guess on how it reacts to a certain bar. I wish folks would really sit down and read there manual on what it has to say on suspension adjustments. Yes it’s basic but there is even more in depth stuff online to watch. People would be able to find/ make better choices on carbide.
I agree with learning and understanding, but I have to say for the most part Polaris manuals have one generic sentence on most topics and their online videos run 90 seconds and only cover topics in the most cursory fashion. As for non-Polaris resources, there are many many youtube videos, but a lot are just rubes riding their sleds and yelling, way too much mountain riding, way too many clearly sponsored vendor placement "ads", and even when they try to be more "educational" it is hard for the casual watcher to always delineate what is important across sleds in general vs what is particular to the exact make/model the video is discussing. So, while there are resources, and I have watched many of them, it is nice to have a forum like this where you can ask more specific targeted questions and get answers from more experienced users directed at your specific concern. This thread is an example, I have watched dozens of carbide videos, 70% are clearly little more than sponsored ads, 20% talk about high-end sleds I don't run with a focus on super aggressive riding which I don't do, and 10% are somewhat useful but still don't speak to my machine or my use case - igrips and not drill through studs, 144 track no 129, 550 engine not 850 turbo, etc.. This thread by contrast has given me very useful and actionable info on my specific situation. So thanks you all who have replied!

·
Registered
48,399 Posts
I've tried a good deal of various carbide runners on my sleds throughout the years noting things i liked or didn't. After averaging all of them out i kept going back to the deuce bars liking them best. I've got no issues with the shaper bar, other then they tend to dart more on trails here requiring more effort at the end of the day. They actually bite harder if your an aggressive ride which i'm not anymore.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I agree with learning and understanding, but I have to say for the most part Polaris manuals have one generic sentence on most topics and their online videos run 90 seconds and only cover topics in the most cursory fashion. As for non-Polaris resources, there are many many youtube videos, but a lot are just rubes riding their sleds and yelling, way too much mountain riding, way too many clearly sponsored vendor placement "ads", and even when they try to be more "educational" it is hard for the casual watcher to always delineate what is important across sleds in general vs what is particular to the exact make/model the video is discussing. So, while there are resources, and I have watched many of them, it is nice to have a forum like this where you can ask more specific targeted questions and get answers from more experienced users directed at your specific concern. This thread is an example, I have watched dozens of carbide videos, 70% are clearly little more than sponsored ads, 20% talk about high-end sleds I don't run with a focus on super aggressive riding which I don't do, and 10% are somewhat useful but still don't speak to my machine or my use case - igrips and not drill through studs, 144 track no 129, 550 engine not 850 turbo, etc.. This thread by contrast has given me very useful and actionable info on my specific situation. So thanks you all who have replied!
As stated.. the manual is very basic. But it helps people get on the right page with there sleds adjustments.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
6" woody's ace bars. the double runner carbides are o.k. but hang up on trailers or if ever going across tar, dirt or grass. they suck. probably stop a 550 dead in it's track.
Something unique to the woody doubles, or would expect the same from the stud boy deuces?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts