Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone had ideas for me on jetting and needle settings for my sled. stock was jetting was 460's, changed to 420's. I am not sure of needle settings. Most of my riding is done between -10C to -25C but -30C does happen on occasion. I live in manitoba so elevation is 750 ft above sea level. Thanks for any info

·
Registered
6,369 Posts
I think your asking for a problem with 420 mains...... My 2001 xc 800 has a HSP head and VF3 reeds, the EGT reading get hot in the midrange with 440 mains but not to hot! I think I could safely run 430's at 750' on a 0* day but thats about it! Hold it WOT for more then 1000' and hope someones looking out for you!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I actually ran 420's for at least half of the season with no troubles at all. My problem is that I have a bit of a low end bog. It is possible that it is clutching and I am changing to the clutch set up that pockets recommends. But was wondering what some of you guys run for carb set-ups.

·
Registered
17,156 Posts
Have you checked/adjusted your fuel screws?

Does it feel "blubbery" , or does it hesitate when it bogs?

Can also be clutch related,how many miles on the sled and how many miles since last servicing of the clutches? e.g. sagged out springs will make the sled bog off the line.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It feels kind of blubbery like you say. Last year we serviced the clutches and changed out springs and weights. It was'nt a perfect set-up so I am going to try the other one. I have'nt really touched any of the carbs other than cleaning and changing main jets. What would be a good setting for the fuel screws?Miles on the sled are around 4200

·
Registered
6,369 Posts
primary springs can go bad in just a few hundred miles if it rubs the shaft , its happend to me twice on the 800! sounds like a idle mixture screw setting off , Pockets maybe able to tell you how many turns out .... I just see what one is set at before I change both ( how many turns in to the seat) then set both the same and make a 1/8 of a turn richer or leaner to both , hit the flipper a few time to see how crisp it is. If you get it to lean the idle goes up and will not come down, when its on the edge of being lean when you come to a stop the idle may hang up around 3000 for 1~2 seconds then come down to 1500. If your not sure if its lean or rich pick the choke lever up just a little if it dies quick from a high idle its lean. if your not sure what your looking at on the carbs the idle mixture screws on the right side of the carbs while sitting on the seat. they are not easy to get to , I think I adjusted mine with the airbox plate off and a VERY short screw driver.

·
Registered
17,156 Posts
what xc-mark says.
Its the white plastic knobs on the right side. As he says , kinda hard to get to.
Sounds like they could be both out of sync and too rich.
Turn them in until lightly seated , then turn them out again the same amount , and make sure they are the same. then turn them in 1/8 a turn until max throttle response.
Note: on my 02, i have found that to get optimal throttle response I'll have to accept that the idle rpms may be hanging a little when coming to a stop. I flip the choke to help it down to 1500.

·
Registered
6,369 Posts
at sea level and cold weather I ran 440 mains (-15 *f) in temps around 0 to + 15 I ran 430's with the needles shimmed richer , in the stock clip. wash and EGT looked really good and it was run on the bar for over a mile across 18" of snow on a lake....

·
Registered
954 Posts
Originally posted by macXC@Oct 12 2005, 05:40 PM
I was wondering if anyone had ideas for me on jetting and needle settings for my sled. stock was jetting was 460's, changed to 420's. I am not sure of needle settings. Most of my riding is done between -10C to -25C but -30C does happen on occasion. I live in manitoba so elevation is 750 ft above sea level. Thanks for any info
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=925106
[/quote]
Dont forget the idle air bypass screws(small, brass, on intake side of carb very hard to see, had my sled for 2 years didn't know they were there.
These are very sensitive to adjustment and make a huge diference in the off idle to 1/4 throttle range, as little as 1/8 turn.
Turn in for rich out to lean.

·
Registered
17,156 Posts
swamper,
I think the 01-02's have a different setup then the 03 and later carbs, with air jets in the intake.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Yeah polaris has mixed and matched those carbs, my 01 had idle and air screws.
I've seen the 02's with air bleeds inside not sure if they were removable or fixed don't remember.
And my 03 escape had both screws.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts