Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,555 Posts
Tighten up the clutch removal tool as tight as you can. If it doesn't come off, hit the end of the tool with the socket on it, with a hammer. Keep tightening the tool, and hitting with hammer, and it will come off.
I just took one off last night, and that is how I got it.

·
Registered
144 Posts
It helps to get it a little tighter by putting a little grease on the tip of the puller and on the threads. Tighten it up with an impact wrench and then put the torch down between the sheaves and turn the clutch with the pull rope and hit it with the impact wrench again and it will come off with a bang. Last resort hit it with a hammer(and you can hit it pretty hard). If it gets too warm, remove everything, cool it back down with cold water and try it again.

Good luck...........

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
tryed tapping on puller also...no luck ..dont want to smack it to hard[/b]
Tapping is useless.
I tapped my clutch removal bolt for five years and never got it off (no pun intended. LOL). Even bent one bolt using a breaker bar to tighten it. Still no satisfaction.
Recently zrsledhead used his impact gun and a BIG hammer. Tightened it with impact gun, wacked it hard with hammer, tightened again, wacked it hard again and POP! At long last!

·
Premium Member
12,762 Posts
Tapping is useless.
I tapped my clutch removal bolt for five years and never got it off (no pun intended. LOL). Even bent one bolt using a breaker bar to tighten it. Still no satisfaction.
Recently zrsledhead used his impact gun and a BIG hammer. Tightened it with impact gun, wacked it hard with hammer, tightened again, wacked it hard again and POP! At long last![/b]
Sure did................key is to quit tapping it, a good rap with a large hammer works every time.

·
Registered
172 Posts
PUT A I/2 BREAKER BAR OR RATCHET(NOT A CHEAPO)ON IT GET A 3 FT.(LONGER IF NEEDED) PIECE OF PIPE THAT GOES OVER HANDLE AND TAKE IT OFF, LEVERAGE IS A GREAT THING. OH YEA I STICK A CRO BAR IN THRU THE CLUTCH TOWERS AND LET IT BIND ON BOTTOM OF SLED. MAKE SURE TO BIND THRU MORE THAN ONE TOWER, 2 WORKS FOR ME. I CHANGE THEM IN THE FIELD THIS WAY ALL THE TIME. YOU'LL GET IT.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I know some people shy away from an impact wrench but I would give that a try before I got too crazy with a breaker bar. If you have a cheap puller it could break in the end of the clutch. Yes, tapping can help as well.

·
Registered
494 Posts
The clutch on my 98 zrt had never been off before and it did not want to come off ...even with an impact, so we tipped it on it's side and sprayed PB Blast into the hole waited 20 minutes and then tried agaaaain,,, it worked spray PB blast, wait and then torque.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.