Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my shock rebuilt and went to bolt my skid to the chassis and when i go to tighten the front set of bolts when they are about half way in they twist and wont go in straight. is there any tricks to this? do i have to put the back end in first and if so do i need to compress the front shock in the skid because it wont line up right with the wholes. any helps is great, thanks.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Front holes first. It really helps to have two people to do this, even if one just holds things in place while you get a half dozen turns on the bolt and then jump to their side. Start em with a ratchet, finish with an impact gun if you have the option.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Make sure you have the springs released and flipped around makes lining the holes alot easier. Do front first!!!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Do what MoFo says, take the torsion springs out of their mounts and swing them around to take all the tension off the suspension. Line up the front bolts first, then the rear, then grunt and swear until you get the springs back into the mounts. This is also a good time to set your spring blocks to your weight class, makes the sled a whole lot easier to ride if it's not stiff like a board or mushy like the shit in my pants! LOL

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for all the quick help. I still cant get the front bolts in all the way. i have yo tighten them at the same time or else they will just slip and go nowhere so i get to about half way in and then it just stops and they start to go in crucked. this dosent make sense to me. anyone got help for that?

·
Registered
924 Posts
The front bolts bolt into a rod that goes the entire length of the front arm. If you don't get both tightened down the entire rod will spin. I was an idiot last year and couldn't figure out why I couldn't thread the one side out, it was just spinning the entire center rod. Of course I figured that out after I took the angle grinder to it. The easiest way to get it lined up is to use ratchet straps to compress the suspension. Get the front in, then tighten the straps till it all lines up.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah, i know they will slip if they arent tightened at the same time but when i tighten them at the same time they make it about halfway in and get real tight and start to go in on an angle. i watched the skid as i wud tighten and it gets pulled forward and thats when they go in on angles. how do i stop or fix this?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Sounds like you're crossthreading the bolts.[/b]
If you crossthread the bolts than you will have to either buy a new shaft or you will have to retap the threads and if you do this you will probably have to use lock tight to keep them from coming out again. :m2c:

CHEERS

Carl

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I just got my shock rebuilt and went to bolt my skid to the chassis and when i go to tighten the front set of bolts when they are about half way in they twist and wont go in straight. is there any tricks to this? do i have to put the back end in first and if so do i need to compress the front shock in the skid because it wont line up right with the wholes. any helps is great, thanks.[/b]
did you fix your sled?.................want help?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
damn, just made it outa the shop and cam to conclusion that i must have crossthreaded the bolts a f**ked the threads in the shaft. so now i have a sled with a skid stuck in the chassis by one bolt that is stuck about half way into the bar that holds the skid to my chassis and wont back out or go in. Trying to devise a plan to cut the head off the bolt and use a hydrolice to some what spread my tunnel a tinny bit to pop out the skid. Then redrill and thread the bar and make an attempt two at putting in a skid, am hoping to have it done in two weeks because a bunch of friends are going on a big ride because thats the weekend after exams finish so the only problem is trying to find the time to do it while studying and writing exams. So becaus eof this any help would be greatly appreciated since i have no clue where to start and if i can mess something so simple up i reallly need the help lmao. thanks

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
i assume no air tools, ask all your buddies ,there dads, some one will have a electric impact gun, thatll get it out

EDIT once its out , just get a 3/8 starting tap be careful to tap them straight, i dont imagine you screwed it that bad

cutting that bolt off is a bad idea

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
nope, got her up and running already. Wasnt as hard as i thought and no cutting or bending was needed, just gota replce a boggie wheel bearing and shes rread to rip. only now i think it may be for sale, got my eyes on a truck. anyone interested?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts