Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive got a group of Canucks here that want to do some sledding. We are close to the Windsor /Detroit border. Wheres the closest spot to us in Michigan where we can put a couple miles on. Anyone have any ideas, its at least 7 hrs to snow in Canada, thats a long drive for a weekends worth. Got any suggestions? We"ll buy trail pass and whatever we need when we get there. Could be this weekend or next. Thanx, Jeff.

·
Registered
315 Posts
There's snow in Soo Mi. You will probably find snow farther south than here though.[/b]
The Soo is about 330 miles from the bridge. If you go there I usually stay at the Days Inn (can usually bargain them down to $50.00 a nite) You can do this drive in 6 hours for fun. Head up I-75 , closest trails start around Grayling (exit 251) but I would head closer to the Makinaw. Gaylaord is exit 282 but is usually busy, I would head to Indian River (exit 312?) might be a little less traffic. The bridge is exit 47 so subtract 47 miles from the exit numbers and that is your mileage. Trail permits are only $25.00 for the season in Michigan. Wherever you go try and get a map showing the forest roads and 2-tracks as these are legal to ride on and see very little traffic. Gaylord and Indian River should have plenty of snow for this weekend. Check out trail reports at www.fishweb.com

·
Registered
452 Posts
I am heading up to Indian River tonight and I would say thats your best bet. Like the previous reply less traffic and a lot of good trails with some old stone pits that are fun to stop in and climb some hills. Also if you are heading up on a weekend I would suggest you try and find another group that is familiar with the area and try to go to the snowmobile club for breakfast. There is a holiday Inn express there now but if you aren't spending much time in the room like i'd hope you arent the cheapest place to stay is the coach house. Prices are 59$ a night for 2 people and then each other person is another $10, so its not too bad.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sweet, thanx for the info and keep it coming. We d like to be a little closer than 300 miles though. Thanx, Jeff.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Indian River is only 260 miles from the bridge. Remember, the speed limit on I-75 is 70mph so if you keep it under 80 your good to go. Also there is usually always a trooper sitting by Gaylord, so about mile marker 260 slow down to 75 mph just to be safe. I've drove by them at 78.5mph (gps) and they stay put. If you don't have to stop for gas you can make Indian River in 4 hours. Just go, you'll be glad you did.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Jeff, a buddy and I trailered up to the Cadillac area just before Christmas for a day trip - we had a great time; 3 hours & a bit and you are there. It can get pretty busy near town but if you head out the opposite direction you are usually fine. A couple other points worth mentioning: go Saturday if possible and leave early so you get to enjoy the trails for the better part of the day, before everyone else has.

·
Registered
410 Posts
The trails are great in St Helen area, and Houghton lake, St. Helen is exit 222, the mackinaw bridge is 339. Tip up town is begining this weekend in Houghton lake, just a 30 minute sled ride from St Helen, we have a place there and the trails are nice, well kept. I will be there this weekend and next. hope to see you around.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts