Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend's kid (17) was riding his snowmobile around in their yard and a State Trooper pulled in the driveway and gave him a ticket for riding without a helmet! Can they do that? It doesn't make any sense to me because you don't even have to register or insure a sled in NY if you're only riding on your own property. Does this mean that even if you're loading your sled on the trailer you have to wear your helmet LOL!

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
i'm not a lawyer in new york ...but i would say that they would be thrown out of court in an instance...sounds like the trooper may have been a rookie...go to court on that one

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
what a dick! i guess he had nothing better to do!
although i remember being 17, you dont always share the full story w/ your parents!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Made me do my homework on this one ......

Article 25.17 section 5 :

5. No person shall operate a snowmobile or ride as a passenger on a
snowmobile unless he or she is wearing a protective helmet of a type
approved by the commissioner, except when operating a snowmobile or
riding as a passenger on private lands owned by the operator or passen-
ger, or to which the operator or passenger has a contractual right other
than as a member of a club or association, and for which no compensation
is paid to the owner with respect to such operation.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks ZRT Guy! Sent your post to our friend so they can fight the ticket.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Reminds me of when my brother got pulled over riding my motorcycle in my parents field. Trooper tries giving him a ticket, I come out and tell him to 'get lost this is personal property, not a road'. He looked extremely pissed, and drove away. I'm sorry but the majority of cops out there are a-holes on a power trip. Go to court and watch the judge throw the case out and probably reprimand the cop.

UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh yeah, this happened in NY. Nice job finding the statute for this one ZRT Guy; you can cite that in court, snowchick.

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
I agree that alot of cops are dicks, but not all of them. While riding in the U.P. about 6 of us got pulled over one night for riding on the wrong side of the road amd my brothers mxz had no lights whatsoever. The cop got out, walked over to me, I was leading, and was totally cool. He was too busy staring at my F 7 to do anything else. He told us to ride the other side and then just started asking me questions about my firecat. Gotta love that !!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts