Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may have waited to long to post this in order to get an answer by this afternoon but I will try anyways. We're coming up this weekend and I was thinking of trying to drive as close as I can to hedgehog nubble so we wouldn't have miles of hiking with the kids.. Does anyone know how close you can drive and have directions? I know the last time I tried some of the gates were closed so I tried to loop around from the back side and ended up coming back out onto Magalloway Road.
Thanks! :div20:

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
The closest you can get is the gate on Smith Brook Road just north of the Smith BrookCamps. It is still about a three mile up hill hike from there.

If you decide to try it, I would recomend you go in the morning and plan to make it a day hike. I estimate about 2 hours each way.

Good hiking shoes, plenty of water and snacks or a picnic lunch are definately needed. Don't forget a first aid kit and bug juice.

Mark :beerchug:

P.S. When you park, don't block the gate! :div20:

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That might not be to bad. We hiked up Magalloway a couple of months ago.. Are there any other shorter climbs that would have a good view like hedgehog nubble?

:beerchug:

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
The last time I swas out there a month ago the south gate of trail 143 was open we drove up to Boardpile brook rd (about 3 miles up 143) I don't think there are any gates between there and hedgehog but I could be wrong. Also it seems like somtime that gate at the juction of 112 and 143 is somtime locked and somtimes not. There are some good views on Board pile brook rd too swank

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by denny@Sep 2 2005, 10:03 AM
The last time I swas out there a month ago the south gate of trail 143 was open we drove up to Boardpile brook rd (about 3 miles up 143) I don't think there are any gates between there and hedgehog but I could be wrong. Also it seems like somtime that gate at the juction of 112 and 143 is somtime locked and somtimes not. There are some good views on Board pile brook rd too swank
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=858327
[/quote]
Thanks for the information! :div20:

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Either way you go it's a pretty long walk. I shed hunt near the overlook and it is too far to go in from either boardpile or stub hill gate. Been there done that :frech32:
I would try it from magalloway road, it's less than a mile, if you have a gps I can give my person waypoints for this route.

How old are the kids, did they ever hike in the woods before? My 7 year girl loves being in the woods, BUT she is the only person in my entire family that does. If you don't really enjoy being in the "woods" this time of year, it will suck.
I would try other well traveled places with trails. Every been up on Table-rock? :augen41:

Or if you really want to go up on the overlook( which really is diamond ridge, not hedgehog nubble) wait til they open stub hill gate in oct right before the moose hunt. :fluffy:

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
I was waiting for someone to say it was diamond ridge lol Chris is there another gate after the boardpile brook turn ? THe gate at MAgallowy rd where trail 143 starts was open the last time I was therewas open

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
I just got my milage map out and it is exactly 3.8 miles from the gate on Smith Brook Road to Diamond Ridge using the logging roads.

I haven't been out there since this spring so I don't know if the gate where 112 joins 143 is open or not.

Mark :beerchug:

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
The first mile is all up hill, the next 2 miles aren't so bad and the last mile is up hill again. Both up hill walks aren't much fun. It's funny when you walk these roads, they seem different much longer and ten times steeper. Snow mobiles are so powerful you don't notice the inclines.

One better try mountain biking the same roads. That road road that goes up to diamond ridge is killer, both up and down! Try walking it with 80 pounds of antler on your back...Can you say BLISTERS!
I can't wait until fall when those gates open uP :fluffy: :fluffy:

Denny you mean the gate at the east branch bridge( mile north of garfield falls), right? The road in towards stub (boardpile) dead ends right at the base of stub hill and near where you and your wife hiked near haystack/ stub below the pond.
If you not doing anything this fall, we should go hiking / shedding one day.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Ya Chris the gate about a mile north of Garfield has been open the last 2 time I was up there I think it still Magalloway road if you go left instead of going to Garfield that gate at the bridge has been open so we could drive right up board pile brook rd I actually met 3 trucks out there in July we tried hiking it but it was way grown up and I'm way too fat lol I'd love to go out hiking with you somtime but fear I would slow you down big time

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by dualmass@Sep 2 2005, 02:04 PM
Either way you go it's a pretty long walk.  I shed hunt near the overlook and it is too far to go in from either boardpile or stub hill gate. Been there done that :frech32:
I would try it from  magalloway road, it's less than a mile, if you have a gps I can give my person waypoints for this route.

How old are the kids, did they ever hike in the woods before? My 7 year girl loves being in the woods, BUT she is the only person in my entire family that does. If you don't really enjoy being in the "woods" this time of year, it will suck.
I would try other well traveled places with trails. Every been up on Table-rock? :augen41:

Or if you really want to go up on the overlook( which really is diamond ridge, not hedgehog nubble) wait til they open stub hill gate in oct right before the moose hunt. :fluffy:
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=858643
[/quote]
The kids are 14, 11, and 7. We hiked up to the tower on Magalloway over the 4th of July and they made it up before me.. lol.. We ended up not going out there this weekend because it took longer to finish the camp than I thought.. Then we went to the Lancaster fair on Monday. Next trip we'll try getting up there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts