Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I currently have a 2003 XC SP 600 that I bought mid season and rode once. It’s the off season and I’m entertaining keeping it, selling it or trading it for the greener grass if it is greener. I was hoping for some advice on whether or not a 2002/2003 MXZ would make me happier. I am more afraid of Doo than ever given the bad press they seem to get with engine failures (600H.O. 800 etc). I entertained an MXZ 700 before this until I found out that BRP isn’t even making parts for that engine any longer. Can someone with ZX/Edge/ZR offer some advice on whether I’m in the right sled or not?

·
Registered
2005 polaris 700 XC-SP F/O & 1980 Polaris TX-L
1,196 Posts
Im not hear to bash any other make.
The edge chassis is the best it gets in the sit down sleds.( non rider forward ).
You may be disappointed in many areas if you sell your sled for anything less than a ride forward sled.and even then in my opinion, the edges in some ways are better than these.

·
Registered
2005 polaris 700 XC-SP F/O & 1980 Polaris TX-L
1,196 Posts
Im not hear to bash any other make.
The edge chassis is the best it gets in the sit down sleds.( non rider forward ).
You may be disappointed in many areas if you sell your sled for anything less than a ride forward sled.and even then in my opinion, the edges in some ways are better than these.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Agree with TXL, its hard to beat an Edge for seat down sleds. Now this is just my input and I'm certainly not bashing any other brand of sled as they all make really good machines, I have limited time on the ZR out side of a ZR900 which had a very strong motor.
I'd say keep what you have and spend some time in the summer going over your machine,
Cheers

·
Registered
493 Posts
Agree with TXL, its hard to beat an Edge for seat down sleds. Now this is just my input and I'm certainly not bashing any other brand of sled as they all make really good machines, I have limited time on the ZR out side of a ZR900 which had a very strong motor.
I'd say keep what you have and spend some time in the summer going over your machine,
Cheers
Agree!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Do the ZX Chassis Ski Doo Formula and Legend 600/700's handle or ride bad compared to the Edge Classic's and/or ZL's? I've never ridden a ZX Ski Doo.

NYH1.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Do the ZX Chassis Ski Doo Formula and Legend 600/700's handle or ride bad compared to the Edge Classic's and/or ZL's? I've never ridden a ZX Ski Doo.

NYH1.
No they don't ride bad actually their quite good with strong motors too, but he's question is should he change from 1 brand to another because its better and in my humble opinion the answer is no. Its not that the ZX is bad its just apples to apples unless he goes to a rider forward chassis.
Cheers.

·
Registered
165 Posts
No they don't ride bad actually their quite good with strong motors too, but he's question is should he change from 1 brand to another because its better and in my humble opinion the answer is no. Its not that the ZX is bad its just apples to apples unless he goes to a rider forward chassis.
Cheers.
Understood. I just figured I'd piggyback off his question.

I'm going to get 3 or 4 sleds over the off season to go through before next season. Was thinking Edge or ZL/ZR's. I'm starting to see more and more '00 and newer Formula/Legend/MXZ 500, 600 and 700's for sale. I guess it adds another option or makes things more complicated....depends on how you look at it.

Thanks, NYH1.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Understood. I just figured I'd piggyback off his question.

I'm going to get 3 or 4 sleds over the off season to go through before next season. Was thinking Edge or ZL/ZR's. I'm starting to see more and more '00 and newer Formula/Legend/MXZ 500, 600 and 700's for sale. I guess it adds another option or makes things more complicated....depends on how you look at it.

Thanks, NYH1.
Personally if you can find a Polaris/Arctic Cat/Ski Doo of that era you really can't really go wrong, all good machines for those years.
Good luck man, it would be great if you could get one of each :lol:
Cheers

·
Registered
165 Posts
Personally if you can find a Polaris/Arctic Cat/Ski Doo of that era you really can't really go wrong, all good machines for those years.
Good luck man, it would be great if you could get one of each :lol:
Cheers
That's good to know.

I'm probably going to get all the same brand. For maintenance, parts similarity and such.

NYH1.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi all,

I currently have a 2003 XC SP 600 that I bought mid season and rode once. It’s the off season and I’m entertaining keeping it, selling it or trading it for the greener grass if it is greener. I was hoping for some advice on whether or not a 2002/2003 MXZ would make me happier. I am more afraid of Doo than ever given the bad press they seem to get with engine failures (600H.O. 800 etc). I entertained an MXZ 700 before this until I found out that BRP isn’t even making parts for that engine any longer. Can someone with ZX/Edge/ZR offer some advice on whether I’m in the right sled or not?[/QUOTE

2002 was a great year for Skidoo and won sled of the year i believe in the 600, 700, and 800 class. I owen the 700 Olympic edition and it's bullet proof. If you can find one unger 10K miles do yourself a favor and take it home.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi all,

I currently have a 2003 XC SP 600 that I bought mid season and rode once. It’s the off season and I’m entertaining keeping it, selling it or trading it for the greener grass if it is greener. I was hoping for some advice on whether or not a 2002/2003 MXZ would make me happier. I am more afraid of Doo than ever given the bad press they seem to get with engine failures (600H.O. 800 etc). I entertained an MXZ 700 before this until I found out that BRP isn’t even making parts for that engine any longer. Can someone with ZX/Edge/ZR offer some advice on whether I’m in the right sled or not?[/QUOTE

2002 was a great year for Skidoo and won sled of the year i believe in the 600, 700, and 800 class. I owen the 700 Olympic edition and it's bullet proof. If you can find one unger 10K miles do yourself a favor and take it home.
Yikes sorry for the typos!

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
The transition from trailing arms to a-arms was by far the biggest improvement sleds had made in years. In the ass dragging category I too would pick the Edge, but I'd prefer like crazy to avoid that category as anything out of it is a much better ride.

·
Premium Member
4,985 Posts
owned a 03 zr 8, 03 zr 9, 3 edge sleds and rode a 02'mxz 500 for a few miles.

my honest to god opinion is this;

the zr handles very flat.great front end cornering wise.rear is soft , even with the big boy springs I tried out.

the zr motors are strong in those years in the 8 and 9.only thing I didn't like was the dam apv valve cable style powervalves were much more of a pain to service compared to the polaris ves or ski doo rave system. also , if you want to go backwards, its old school extra gear and the weight penalty that comes with it.

both the edge and the doo have electronic reverse available around that age.both rear suspensions imo were better then the cat.cat had the best front end of the three.

all 3 sleds are among some of the best looking ever made imo.all 3 are lookers.

mileage/power etc varies in which class you want.500/600 cc its polaris from my experience.cat makes a much better 800 cc reliability wise then both the doo and poo.700 is a toss up unless firecats are involved in the equation.

the 5/600 cc polaris or cat 800 would be the way id go , just because of there reliability at this age.but that's just preference.the mxz in the zx is a nice sled also.

·
Registered
39,954 Posts
Being bias toward polaris sleds having nothing but 600's since 95, the ves liberty 600's are reliable as an anvil so are the edge chassis. I've never had a failure on a ves 600 that i had to be towed in. I'm currently still riding an edge 600.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Now that everyone wants rider-centered sleds you can get those older, traditional ones pretty much for a song. If I were you I wouldn't be afraid to press these sellers on price as the value of the old style machines is bottoming out and they know it. I'm starting to see first gen revs in decent shape for a couple grand now.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts