Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are writing to inform those interested that Mark and I have resigned from the Cabot Skylighters Snowmobile Club. We no longer find working with the club and VAST a rewarding experience or worth the rediculous amount of time we put into it. It has taken a huge toll on our family and our marriage over the past four years and we no longer wish to give VAST or the club all our free time, energy, experience, motivation, and money. It’s just not worth it.

Your new points of contact should be Guthrie and Amber Perry 1-802-426-3631 Home, 1-802-461-6722 Cell, 1-802-563-2455 Additional…Good luck with that!

We hope that you still offer the Community of Cabot your patronage!

Brigitte Codling (a.k.a. IcePrincess)

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Sorry to hear. I know about all of the time involved in a club. Luckily I am still single (not married) because I would have a hard time finding the time to do everything. Good luck with the future.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
While I am not a rider of that clubs trails though from your prior posts it looks like you are a great asset to the snowmobiling community and I am sure you will still be. I can image, though not experienced it myself, the time commitment involved at that level.

Thank you again for the effort you and your husband have given.

·
Registered
308 Posts
no she proably doesn't need to vent. i was president of a local club for nine years. before that vice-president for i don't know how many years. but we get tired . in our club in my own words. that there was ten little indians doing all the work. you ask for help you post it early and you get no help. but when things are bad you get a lot of people complaining. They can complain about the trails , but they don't want to help with the problem. So i just got burned out on it. I am glad that are new president is very dedicated to the sport. that maybe he can get some more to help when the club asks for help.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
no she proably doesn't need to vent. i was president of a local club for nine years. before that vice-president for i don't know how many years. but we get tired . in our club in my own words. that there was ten little indians doing all the work. you ask for help you post it early and you get no help. but when things are bad you get a lot of people complaining. They can complain about the trails , but they don't want to help with the problem. So i just got burned out on it. I am glad that are new president is very dedicated to the sport. that maybe he can get some more to help when the club asks for help.[/b]
You hit it on the head...it is a very selfless, thankless, exhausting job...we need to enjoy snowmobiling and each other for a change. We will still do what we can to help the remaining officers (and any new ones if they can find some) get up to speed on all outstanding work and efforts the club has going right now....and of course all those efforts that are continuously going on.

I feel very liberated today...can't wait to enjoy my free time again! I want to ride my snowmobile not just fix trails, groom, and work on club stuff every free moment while I look at my snowmobile sitting in the yard covered in snow.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
no she proably doesn't need to vent. i was president of a local club for nine years. before that vice-president for i don't know how many years. but we get tired . in our club in my own words. that there was ten little indians doing all the work. you ask for help you post it early and you get no help. but when things are bad you get a lot of people complaining. They can complain about the trails , but they don't want to help with the problem. So i just got burned out on it. I am glad that are new president is very dedicated to the sport. that maybe he can get some more to help when the club asks for help.[/b]
I sent the remaining officers a list of club responsibilities and am going to go ahead an post that list here on HCS, the purpose is ONLY to make people aware of the extent of what ALL clubs are responsible for...this is only a quick list so is certainly not all inclusive...but i have seen so many people complain about the trails and my impression is that most people have very little knowledge of what it takes to not only keep the trails nice but to keep a club operational. Please contemplate this list and appreciate what you are provided...and remember club officers are volunteers...they are not paid!

Cabot Skylighters On-Going Responsibilities

• Communicate and coordinate with VAST
• Grooming (entire system twice a week - more if possible)
• Grooming Logs (weekly)
• Grooming Maintenance (Weekly and Annually)
• Order, Pick-up, and Deliver parts and grease etc, for Groomer
• Monitor and ensure Groomer Contract with Luke is honored
• Attendance at County meetings (monthly)
• Hold and Attend Club meetings (monthly)
• Bridge Projects
• Bridge Project Grant-in-Aides
• Trail Signing
• Signing Grant-in-Aide (annually)
• Trail Maintenance
• Trail Project Grant-in-Aides
• Peacham Trail development (Buzzy Eastman & Dave Pastula)
• Danville Hill Reroute Project
• Rail road bed gates need to be re-hung
• Hazel Greaves gate needs to be re-hung
• Coits pond gate needs to be moved out of town ROW
• All specialty & bridge signs need to be hung immediately
• Coordinate and attend inspection by VAST prior to, and after, ALL work is performed
• Coordinate Work Weekends and Organize Volunteers
• Landowner Permission Slips (as expired annually)
• Landowners List
• Field Landowner complaints and rectify
• Field Public/Member/Trial riders complaints and rectify
• Field Boarding club complaints and rectify
• TMAs – Walt and via Mail
• Collect TMA, Sweatshirt, and Map funds and deliver to Wendy
• Trail Report Forms, distribute, collect and resolve issues
• Members List (updated annually)
• Newsletter (Jan, April, July, Oct)
• Website Maintenance - including Trail Reports regularly
• Forum Publicity for Harry’s Hardware, Cabot Inn, Cabot General
• Order Maps from VAST and arrange pick-up, deliver to Walt’s (Needed Now)
• Sweatshirts & Tees (Reorder, Pick-up, Inventory, and Deliver to Walt’s)
• Groomer Jackets and Embroidered Groomer Patches
• Embroidered Club Patches
• Landowner Appreciation
• 4th of July Parade
• Annual Raffle Event (produce distribute and track tickets – book band – book hall – purchase decorations – organize give-a-ways – develop ticket & prize sheets – organize food, etc.,)
• Snowmobile Safety Classes (another in Spring)
• Cabot Public Consumption Policy (On-going)
• Ancient Roads Work (On-going)
• Cell Phone Fund Raiser (Current fundraiser)
• Advertise Classes and Events

Happy Trails...I will finally be out there with you!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Cabot Public Consumption Policy (On-going)

Just curious as to what this is.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cabot Public Consumption Policy (On-going)

Just curious as to what this is.[/b]
A couple months ago concerns related to the of public consumption of alcohol was brought to the Town's Select Board...some in town want a no-tolerance policy, no consumption of alcohol on town property including the Willey Building and the outdoor pavilion, where the Cabot Skylighters hold various events throughout the year. The club allows BYOB at most events, not to include Ride-Ins for obvious reasons. The Select Board tasked the Cabot Coalition with drafting a proposed policy regarding public consumption and so the club has (had) two officers on the Public Consumption Committee that was put together by the Coalition to draft the policy. Our goal in being involved was (is) to help develop a policy that outlines responsible consumption rather than no consumption and that also covers the Town and other organizations such as the Cabot Skylighters from legal responsibility and possible litigation if someone over does it or gets hurt due to the consumption of alchohol while on Town property.

From what I understand the League of Cities and Towns have been asked to speak on this issue before a number of select boards lately so you might want to read your towns Select Board minutes to see if your town is contemplating such a policy.

·
Registered
9,674 Posts
A couple months ago concerns related to the of public consumption of alcohol was brought to the Town's Select Board...some in town want a no-tolerance policy, no consumption of alcohol on town property including the Willey Building and the outdoor pavilion, where the Cabot Skylighters hold various events throughout the year. The club allows BYOB at most events, not to include Ride-Ins for obvious reasons. The Select Board tasked the Cabot Coalition with drafting a proposed policy regarding public consumption and so the club has (had) two officers on the Public Consumption Committee that was put together by the Coalition to draft the policy. Our goal in being involved was (is) to help develop a policy that outlines responsible consumption rather than no consumption and that also covers the Town and other organizations such as the Cabot Skylighters from legal responsibility and possible litigation if someone over does it or gets hurt due to the consumption of alchohol while on Town property.

From what I understand the League of Cities and Towns have been asked to speak on this issue before a number of select boards lately so you might want to read your towns Select Board minutes to see if your town is contemplating such a policy.[/b]
God what a bunch of BS!! Man I miss the 70's and 80's!!! What a bunch of weenies we have become.

·
Registered
342 Posts
God what a bunch of BS!! Man I miss the 70's and 80's!!! What a bunch of weenies we have become.[/b]
It may be a bunch of BS, until something happens, then the ambulance chasers get ahold of it, and the rest is history. We all miss the "old" days. Unfortunately, many of our actions back then has caused the concerns of today. Towns are sued just like private landowners. The Town officials seem to be trying to come up with a fair plan without putting their neck in a sling. It just seems that we keep losing more freedoms for the sake of our own good. Is it just me or does this sound like a lose lose situation.

·
Registered
183 Posts
thanks for the hard work we ride many miles in and around this area for several years, and i see great improvements with the system through cabot in the last few especially. For several years peacham has been a problem so weve been going your way for a while now. now with the restaurant we are planning to go back , also its fun to go the cabot factory for some snacks and a break, i'm surprised they dont advertise that off the trail
thanks again

·
Registered
584 Posts
Thank you for the years that the two of you have given to the sport !!
As more volunteers give up and start to enjoy life, The work load increases onto the remaining few volunteers, My wife keeps after me to step down as President and get a life, But I often wonder who will do the work as we don't have enough people involved now.
Don't feel guilty about your decision, I hope to actually start snowmobiling again in a few years.
It seems odd that you get involved in a sport in which you love and you get so involved that you have no time to actually enjoy it.
And of course, there's always someone who bitches about the lack of signing, a low hanging branch or some other trivial issue to spoil much of the reward. The skin has gotten tougher over the years and I 've adopted the attitude, if you don't help and volunteer, don't bitch , I'm not listening.

I wish you folks well on your new life,

Duhnis

·
Registered
9,674 Posts
It may be a bunch of BS, until something happens, then the ambulance chasers get ahold of it, and the rest is history. We all miss the "old" days. Unfortunately, many of our actions back then has caused the concerns of today. Towns are sued just like private landowners. The Town officials seem to be trying to come up with a fair plan without putting their neck in a sling. It just seems that we keep losing more freedoms for the sake of our own good. Is it just me or does this sound like a lose lose situation.[/b]
I was listening to NHPR the other morning, great conversationalist was comparing the 'old days' to now,.. you had to listen to it to understand how much we have lost our individuality, and most of all, (his piont) was that as kids, they have no freedom anymore, not like we used to have,..I think parents and society are way way WAY to overprotective of ourselves, and of coarse our kids, in the sake of making up for our own lack of ...........ahhhcrap,...this is getiin to political, (Ill be 44 this year, its too late to care anymore) ......VOTE INDEPENDENT!!! Just leave me alone to live my own life, please come and enjoy the northwoods on the sleds with me!!!!! (thanks,,:)))

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you for the years that the two of you have given to the sport !!
As more volunteers give up and start to enjoy life, The work load increases onto the remaining few volunteers, My wife keeps after me to step down as President and get a life, But I often wonder who will do the work as we don't have enough people involved now.
Don't feel guilty about your decision, I hope to actually start snowmobiling again in a few years.
It seems odd that you get involved in a sport in which you love and you get so involved that you have no time to actually enjoy it.
And of course, there's always someone who bitches about the lack of signing, a low hanging branch or some other trivial issue to spoil much of the reward. The skin has gotten tougher over the years and I 've adopted the attitude, if you don't help and volunteer, don't bitch , I'm not listening.

I wish you folks well on your new life,

Duhnis[/b]
Its hard not to feel guilty...but still feels good to have my weekends free...even though there is NO snow! We appreicate the kind words...see you on the trails - I hope!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Its hard not to feel guilty...but still feels good to have my weekends free...even though there is NO snow! We appreicate the kind words...see you on the trails - I hope![/b]
IcePrincess,

I know what you have gone through. As a past club president I got so burned out from it all I resigned from our club and sold my sleds about 5 years ago. I had some real issues with some things that happened in the club and VAST. After one year of not riding we bought some new sleds and started riding again (just riding). I've had more fun riding the past few years than I ever have, I now really look forward to winter. This year I've been back helping the club out and remember back to the days it was fun working on the trails and helping out with the club. I'm trying to take it all in small amounts and get some riding time in also. I guess what I'm saying is congratulations. Don't feel guilty about getting away from the club, have fun riding!!! I'm sure the club will survive, ours did and who knows, you may find yourself helping out again in a few years. Many thanks to you for all of your past work!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts