Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went on snowtracks to get the cable area report, it said they were in good condition. Went on John dee to pull up the web cam at lakewoods and there are no sleds outside. It is saturday night there would usually be more than 20 sleds there. Anyone no what is really going on. I have reservations for next weekend.

·
Registered
419 Posts
The trails are still rideable. About 80 percent of them are still what I would rate as "good". There are definitely sections that aren't so good. The snow is very crystalized from the warm weather we had last weekend. Even thought the trails are covered with snow, I've heard a few complaints about lack of slide lube and cooling due to the hard surface. The corners are icy or bare. We're still grooming every other day.

Three inches of snow would go a long way right now, but I don't see it in the forecast.

·
Banned
21,471 Posts
We were up in the general area this past weekend. We stayed south of Cable, near the Chippewa Flowage (Ojibwa). Groomerbob is 100% accurate. When you see the trails you will think to yourself, "Man this actually looks pretty damn good!" But once you actually get on them you'll see there's nothing there for lubrication. Granted, there may be some spots that are better than others, but overall they need a couple of inches and they'll be excellent.

We trailered north to Barnes on Friday afternoon, and rode a small loop up by Iron River and Brule and back down to Barnes. The riding was actually pretty good ... better on the way up than the way down (we rode 27 down). The majority of us came home yesterday morning, but two couples stayed up and tried to ride locally (Sawyer Co.). They rode the Tuscobia trail over toward Loretta, and then took Trail 5 over to Fish Trap (Trap N Fish). From there they rode firelanes up to Moose Lake and looped back to Ojibwa. Temp lights were on pretty much the whole way due to lack of lubrication.

I wouldn't cancel your reservations because all it takes is a small amount and you'll have excellent riding. If all else fails, you could trailer another 30 or 40 miles and ride.

·
Premium Member
13,978 Posts
We were up in the general area this past weekend. We stayed south of Cable, near the Chippewa Flowage (Ojibwa). Groomerbob is 100% accurate. When you see the trails you will think to yourself, "Man this actually looks pretty damn good!" But once you actually get on them you'll see there's nothing there for lubrication. Granted, there may be some spots that are better than others, but overall they need a couple of inches and they'll be excellent.

We trailered north to Barnes on Friday afternoon, and rode a small loop up by Iron River and Brule and back down to Barnes. The riding was actually pretty good ... better on the way up than the way down (we rode 27 down). The majority of us came home yesterday morning, but two couples stayed up and tried to ride locally (Sawyer Co.). They rode the Tuscobia trail over toward Loretta, and then took Trail 5 over to Fish Trap (Trap N Fish). From there they rode firelanes up to Moose Lake and looped back to Ojibwa. Temp lights were on pretty much the whole way due to lack of lubrication.

I wouldn't cancel your reservations because all it takes is a small amount and you'll have excellent riding. If all else fails, you could trailer another 30 or 40 miles and ride.[/b]
golly labonte, I know where Iron River is...

·
Registered
419 Posts
I'm going to downgrade my report. I groomed a shift yesterday morning and then I went riding last night. After this weekend's traffic, the snow is pretty used up. There is still enough snow to groom in most places, but there isn't enough moisture in it to bind it together anymore. In other words, the trail won't set up. It's like riding in beach sand.

It's still better than we had all winter last year. Hard call!

Strong possibilty of snow on Tuesday night. I've got my fingers crossed!

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I'm heading to lakewoods resort as well on friday through sunday. There is a big group of us 40 people. I'll be riding a 05 440 snopro with green hood, black lens covers, white ski's with two gas cans on the back. Keep a look out for me and have brew. Hope to see some people on the trails. last year we rode down there from brule on 5 inches of snow, went through a set of slides in one weekend. But we have a few die hard rides who never miss a year to ride down. Its only metal and plastic they make more everyday.
Tony

·
Banned
21,471 Posts
I'm going to downgrade my report. I groomed a shift yesterday morning and then I went riding last night. After this weekend's traffic, the snow is pretty used up. There is still enough snow to groom in most places, but there isn't enough moisture in it to bind it together anymore. In other words, the trail won't set up. It's like riding in beach sand.

It's still better than we had all winter last year. Hard call!

Strong possibilty of snow on Tuesday night. I've got my fingers crossed![/b]
Groomerbob - maybe you could work with Barb Best to get out the snow reports. Yours and hers vary quite a bit. From her weekly report as of this morning:

Snowmobiling in the Cable Area is GREAT! The Namakagon Trail Groomers have done a fantastic job at grooming our trail system. Riders have reported our trail systems to be some of the best riding theyve had in a long time. Trails have a 6 or 8 inch solid packed base and all area lakes are completely frozen with no slush. Riders are cautioned to be careful on Lake Namakagon due to frozen moguls and on trail corners. Temperatures this week are forecasted to be very cold and below zero at times. If you plan on riding be prepared for frigid temperatures.

·
Premium Member
13,978 Posts
Bob will always give you the "meat & potatoes" of trail conditions. He always tells it just like it is, without all the extra flash & flare (no, not you Derek). I've always relied on Bob's "seat of the groomer" reports when planning on riding in the Cable area.

·
Banned
21,471 Posts
Bob will always give you the "meat & potatoes" of trail conditions. He always tells it just like it is, without all the extra flash & flare (no, not you Derek). I've always relied on Bob's "seat of the groomer" reports when planning on riding in the Cable area.[/b]
I think I've learned something to keep track of from here on out!!! We're slated to be up there the weekend of the Super Bowl, so I'm hoping the conditions change by then. Pat ... we'll be up in Valhalla one of those days so be prepared! :D

·
Registered
419 Posts
Groomerbob - maybe you could work with Barb Best to get out the snow reports. Yours and hers vary quite a bit. From her weekly report as of this morning:

Snowmobiling in the Cable Area is GREAT! The Namakagon Trail Groomers have done a fantastic job at grooming our trail system. Riders have reported our trail systems to be some of the best riding theyve had in a long time. Trails have a 6 or 8 inch solid packed base and all area lakes are completely frozen with no slush. Riders are cautioned to be careful on Lake Namakagon due to frozen moguls and on trail corners. Temperatures this week are forecasted to be very cold and below zero at times. If you plan on riding be prepared for frigid temperatures. [/b]
Trail reports of subjective, of course. We have had a lot of compliments on the trails. When people come up with a realistic expectation of what the trails are like, they tend to be happier than when they come up expecting "GREAT" conditions and find the not so good sections.

I groom what I consider to be the heaviest traveled trails in Bayfield County. You will find that trail conditions change quickly depending on which direction you go on a particular day. I ran into Barb yesterday morning on the trail. I'm guessing she found some of the better conditions. Although I don't agree with the amount of base in the report, the rest is fairly accurate. As I said in my comments, riders are realtively happy and conditions are better than they were all year last year.

·
Banned
21,471 Posts
I didn't intend to make it look like I was complaining about her report vs. yours, so please don't take it in that context. Our riding group has considered Barb one of the best resources in that area ... knowing the amount of riding she does up there she's an excellent person to get reports from. I would imagine you're 100% correct in that she probably rode some of the better trails and then posted her update.

I can also confirm what you're saying. As I mentioned previously, we trailered north from Ojibwa on Friday, and unloaded in Barnes. The consensus among our group was "much better than we expected." I just hope the area gets some more snow to turn it into EXCELLENT conditions very soon.

Thanks for doing what you do ... you guys running their groomers don't get enough credit.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
I sure hope SlowerCamper remembers to put gas in his Renegade this time or he may have to get towed to safety by an orange Firecat again. :whistle:

·
Registered
419 Posts
I had 3 unsolicited phone calls last night from local club members telling me how good the trails are. They are usually my worst critics. I'm beginning to think I'm too critical of my own work. Is paranoia a sign of old age?

·
Premium Member
4,697 Posts
I'm heading to lakewoods resort as well on friday through sunday. There is a big group of us 40 people. I'll be riding a 05 440 snopro with green hood, black lens covers, white ski's with two gas cans on the back. Keep a look out for me and have brew. Hope to see some people on the trails. last year we rode down there from brule on 5 inches of snow, went through a set of slides in one weekend. But we have a few die hard rides who never miss a year to ride down. Its only metal and plastic they make more everyday.
Tony[/b]

were in Brule do you live?? family has a cabin there in town.

·
Premium Member
4,697 Posts
I had 3 unsolicited phone calls last night from local club members telling me how good the trails are. They are usually my worst critics. I'm beginning to think I'm too critical of my own work. Is paranoia a sign of old age?[/b]

:hear_no_evil:

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
were in Brule do you live?? family has a cabin there in town.[/b]
I actually live 8 miles north of Brule by jack and edna's bar. Do you have the house by the post office?
Tony

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hey tony,

I think we may re route our trip to your neck of the woods, I am thinking maybe not doing gandy dancer just because I dont want to buy an out of state sticker just for 40 or 50 miles. We are planning on taking the tri county corridor over to superior but we are thinking of a small side trip by taking 63 north out of Moquan and then hitting 31 west and riding it all the way back to 2. Is that worth doing? i.e. scenery through the forest. Not big fans of tight twisties. Is the wild river trail another grade or forest service road? Interested in your input.

Thanks,

DS

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Tony,

I will be riding a 07 skidoo renegade 1000 color white. It sounds like we are going to have some good riding. On Lakewoods trail report they said towards clam lake they got more snow.

I know the fire lanes to get out that way. If we don't see each other take the lake across to the pioneer take trail until it crosses FL 191 take a right take that till you see FL 193 take a left when it crosses a trail jump on heading east you will be to clam lake in 30 min.

I have not been up there in 3 years and this is all of memory I hope the trails are still the same and the bar is still called the pioneer. I beleive the road that goes through there is called Pioneer road, so that can't change.

If my directions are wrong I owe you a few beers.

Brian

1 - 20 of 29 Posts