Hardcore Sledder banner

C&A Pro Trail skis tested and added to "ski test"

2K views 24 replies 13 participants last post by  Roy T 
#1 ·
#7 ·
Rob, just noticed the C&A addition to your ski test..nice job and consistent with most reports I have read on those skis. I liked your rating box. Looking at the numbers, the SLT skis actually rate out higher than the Powder Pro...especially if you take deep powder riding out of the mix (which isn't too important to me). Between the two, do you still like the Powder Pros best or is it a toss up with the SLTs? Marc

#8 ·
Originally posted by Team Arctic@Jan 22 2003, 11:23 AM
Rob, just noticed the C&A addition to your ski test..nice job and consistent with most reports I have read on those skis. I liked your rating box. Looking at the numbers, the SLT skis actually rate out higher than the Powder Pro...especially if you take deep powder riding out of the mix (which isn't too important to me). Between the two, do you still like the Powder Pros best or is it a toss up with the SLTs? Marc
Given the two I still like the Powder Pros better, and they aren't much more money. But those suckers are wide! I did some measurements the other day and realized something (the most of you probably already know).

My Firecat is 43" spindle-to-spindle. With the stock 5" wide skis it is 48" wide overall. Jane's XC is 42" spindle to spindle and the Poo stock skis (and the SLTs) are 6" wide, still resulting in 48". When I put the SLTs on my F7 it now is 49" wide, and with the Powder Pros it is 50" wide. I have ski guides in my trailer, as well as a center support for the snopro cover, and the inside width is only 98". At 50" wide it's no wonder that the F7 won't fit. After it warms up a little I am going to try and reset the ski guides on one side of my trailer and see if I can offset it enough to fit. The stupid center post for the top is the real problem here.... :angry:

#10 ·
#11 ·
Rob,

Thanks for posting the results of your ski test. I ordered a set of SLT’s today based on your observations. I am riding from Cicero NY to Woodgate NY Friday afternoon so I will have ample time to test out the new skis in different conditions.

Troy

#12 ·
I have experienced the same issues while trailering sleds with wide skis. I have not tried these on an enclosed trailer but maybe you can adapt them around the center post. I have tried two different solutions with positive results.
The first was using a piece of Trex (plastic decking lumber) under the carbide/keel to elevate the "inside ski above the "inside" ski of the other sled. I added a piece of nylon coated chain looped over the ski near the saddle to keep the Trex under the ski. Using a dat blade you can make a groove for your carbide to rest in. This worked good with the holddowns too. I keep a set of these in my trunk bag for crossing steel deck bridges.
The second was to elevate the inside slide to accomplish the same. Elevate one side above the other - envision making a ramp out of the slide. If you have two sleds with wide skis you will have to take a knotch out of the higher slide to make clearance for the ski on the lower slide. The knotch will be placed where the "lower" ski will hit the ramp when loading. It's a little more involved, but you won't have to throw a block under your ski every time you load.

#13 ·
Originally posted by Earl McCreary@Jan 22 2003, 02:45 PM
Any testing with the C&A Pro Racing. Put a set on mine and worked great, problem is on groomed or hard trails, rear end gets loose. No Studs!
I only tested the trail version, but I also noticed the loose rear end on the roads. I think the C&As are not the best choice for an unstudded sled.

#14 ·
Originally posted by bilbat@Jan 22 2003, 03:34 PM
I have experienced the same issues while trailering sleds with wide skis. I have not tried these on an enclosed trailer but maybe you can adapt them around the center post. I have tried two different solutions with positive results.
The first was using a piece of Trex (plastic decking lumber) under the carbide/keel to elevate the "inside ski above the "inside" ski of the other sled. I added a piece of nylon coated chain looped over the ski near the saddle to keep the Trex under the ski. Using a dat blade you can make a groove for your carbide to rest in. This worked good with the holddowns too. I keep a set of these in my trunk bag for crossing steel deck bridges.
The second was to elevate the inside slide to accomplish the same. Elevate one side above the other - envision making a ramp out of the slide. If you have two sleds with wide skis you will have to take a knotch out of the higher slide to make clearance for the ski on the lower slide. The knotch will be placed where the "lower" ski will hit the ramp when loading. It's a little more involved, but you won't have to throw a block under your ski every time you load.
Bill, thanks for those ideas.. I was sort of thinking along the same lines. If it ever gets above zero here I will try it. :rolleyes:

#15 ·
Just got back from a 90 mile ride.. Trails are set up good and hard. Very few riding because of the cold.

I had left the C&As on for today's ride. I wanted to get more of a feel for them. Again, they are very good on the trail, but on the RR beds, they dart pretty bad. Also, these skis are terrible on icy roads with my unstudded F7. Honestly, it is hard to accellerate uphill on an icy road with them. They dig into the ice so much that my track will just spin. The C&As may be fine for a studded sled, but if you are unstudded, forget it..

#16 ·
Originally posted by rob@Jan 23 2003, 04:18 PM
I had left the C&As on for today's ride. I wanted to get more of a feel for them. Again, they are very good on the trail, but on the RR beds, they dart pretty bad. Also, these skis are terrible on icy roads with my unstudded F7. Honestly, it is hard to accellerate uphill on an icy road with them. They dig into the ice so much that my track will just spin. The C&As may be fine for a studded sled, but if you are unstudded, forget it..
You have your limiters pulled in to far for these ski's!

These skis are wicked aggressive. I have them with 8" carbides on mine unstudded and don't get the same feeling as you.

I agree that under certain conditions they tend to dart more than maybe is desireable, but they carve corners like no ones business!! I also probably have more front arm pressure than you also.

(Or maybe its cause I'm a fat ass and get better traction!!! LOL!!)

#17 ·
Originally posted by Jay@Jan 23 2003, 05:03 PM
You have your limiters pulled in to far for these ski's!

These skis are wicked aggressive. I have them with 8" carbides on mine unstudded and don't get the same feeling as you.

I agree that under certain conditions they tend to dart more than maybe is desireable, but they carve corners like no ones business!! I also probably have more front arm pressure than you also.

(Or maybe its cause I'm a fat ass and get better traction!!! LOL!!)
I have the limiters pulled up one hole only..
The roads around here are very icy just now, but honestly, I couldn't accelerate uphill without spinning all the while... I put the SLTs back on for tomorrow. Sunday or monday I will try to modify my trailer so that I can go back to the Powder Pros.

#18 ·
Rob

Thanks for the info on the testing.

I have run C & As, race version for the most part, since 1998. Studded sleds and sleds with no studs. Last few years in Minn have been facing a lot of icey conditions. I have not experienced what you describe on ice. The C & As, though, do have serious bite.

Currently I am running race version C & A Pro on my F7. Overall, on trails, nothing will turn a sled better than C & As. I have run all major brands this year, except the stock skis. Also, C & As work best for cranking through the bumps.

I agree that the Powder Pro will generally be a better powder conditions ski, they are a 7 inch ski and the keel is designed for powder. C & As are not primarily designed to be a powder ski in their current versions, but a prototype C & A mountain/powder ski is in design/testing. Same all plastic saddle and top, different bottom and keel design.

#19 ·
My Firecat is 43" spindle-to-spindle. With the stock 5" wide skis it is 48" wide overall. Jane's XC is 42" spindle to spindle and the Poo stock skis (and the SLTs) are 6" wide, still resulting in 48". When I put the SLTs on my F7 it now is 49" wide, and with the Powder Pros it is 50" wide. I have ski guides in my trailer, as well as a center support for the snopro cover, and the inside width is only 98". At 50" wide it's no wonder that the F7 won't fit. After it warms up a little I am going to try and reset the ski guides on one side of my trailer and see if I can offset it enough to fit. The stupid center post for the top is the real problem here....  [/b]
Do you know why AC only puts 5" wide skies on there sleds? Its to keep the overal with down because of 2 reasons:

1. So it fits on the trailer AKA rob's prob

2. Its illegal in wisconsin to have a snowmobile wider than 48 inches.

Although i never heard of any one getting a ticket because of it.

#20 ·
Because I NEEDED more confidence in tight corners I investigated new skis. After reading Rob's evaluation and talking to several of the ski manufactures I bought a set of SLT Powder Pro's w/ 6 1/4", 60 degree carbides. Bolted them on last week & hit the trail this weekend (185 miles). Prior to the installation I had moved limiting strap to middle hole & set tow out to 3/8”. I have an F7 SP. I live & ride Tug Hill. Friday night the trails were like a table top - freshly groomed. The first thing I noticed was the dramatic difference in turning radius just off the trailer. It's almost like turning a 4 wheeler now - no pushing at all. And very easy to steer - I estimate 3/4 steering effort (compared to AC skis) especially approaching the spindle stop (fully turned). By the end of Saturday I had ridden powder, mealy snow, stutter, moguls, and secondary trails. Unbelievable steering control in all conditions. There are several hairpin corners on a favorite trail of ours. Prior to the Powder Pros the Firecat pushed terribly thru these corners and on one in particular I missed the exit while pinning the throttle to make up for the time I lost. After the powder pros - no problem even without braking. I let the clutches back shift just before the corner, effortlessly turn to the apex & hammer the throttle. The Powder Pros hold the front end tight & the rear follows even under full acceleration. The front end floats great in deep powder & cuts great too.
I bought the Powder Pros despite their width. And much to my surprise there was no problem. The deep keel design elevated the powder Pro above the stock Polaris ski of the other sled on my trailer. So as longs as both sleds don't have powder skis and you don't have the center support, you should be fine.
Very pleased :wub: with SLT Powder Pros!

#21 ·
Originally posted by bilbat@Jan 27 2003, 02:48 PM
Because I NEEDED more confidence in tight corners I investigated new skis. After reading Rob's evaluation and talking to several of the ski manufactures I bought a set of SLT Powder Pro's w/ 6 1/4", 60 degree carbides. Bolted them on last week & hit the trail this weekend (185 miles). Prior to the installation I had moved limiting strap to middle hole & set tow out to 3/8”. I have an F7 SP. I live & ride Tug Hill. Friday night the trails were like a table top - freshly groomed. The first thing I noticed was the dramatic difference in turning radius just off the trailer. It's almost like turning a 4 wheeler now - no pushing at all. And very easy to steer - I estimate 3/4 steering effort (compared to AC skis) especially approaching the spindle stop (fully turned). By the end of Saturday I had ridden powder, mealy snow, stutter, moguls, and secondary trails. Unbelievable steering control in all conditions. There are several hairpin corners on a favorite trail of ours. Prior to the Powder Pros the Firecat pushed terribly thru these corners and on one in particular I missed the exit while pinning the throttle to make up for the time I lost. After the powder pros - no problem even without braking. I let the clutches back shift just before the corner, effortlessly turn to the apex & hammer the throttle. The Powder Pros hold the front end tight & the rear follows even under full acceleration. The front end floats great in deep powder & cuts great too.
I bought the Powder Pros despite their width. And much to my surprise there was no problem. The deep keel design elevated the powder Pro above the stock Polaris ski of the other sled on my trailer. So as longs as both sleds don't have powder skis and you don't have the center support, you should be fine.
Very pleased :wub: with SLT Powder Pros!
Bill, that's just great! I'm really pleased the Powder Pros worked out for you! :) :D

Btw, I fixed my trailer problems yesterday by installing some 2x2s as guides. Now I load my F7 at a slight angle and (like yours) the Powder Pros ride over the SLT skis on Jane's XC6. All I can say is never buy a covered trailer with a center support.. I did back in '98 because it was a little cheaper than the dual strut cover and now I'm regreting it.

#22 ·
Glad you found an acceptable solution Rob. I will keep that suggestion mind - I plan to upgrade/replace next year! Those Powder Pros - amazing & I don't think I have totally found their potential! Thanks!!!! :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.