Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys always been a yamaha rider but after seeing the F7 last year I said I LOVE IT was gonna order a red patriot but decided not to 1st year jitters. Now I recieved the flyer in the mail and love the F7 fighter pilot in black . Just sold my viper so I am gonna order it and take the 2 year warranty. Hope they got the bugs out in 03 :mellow: Gonna go with the carbed one . But I will always keep my 01 SRX I will just have the best of both worlds lake racer and trail rider Take it easy guys and gals :D

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
i have a 03 f-7 sno-pro, efi is definetly the way to go!
just my thoughts after one season of a f-7 efi!!
also had a zr 800 cross country efi, and loved the efi on that also!
2 pulls no matter what! always running to peal perf. no matter temp!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I suppose no more jetting or screwing with carbs would be good. But thats all I am used to coming from yami kinda got like a pro taking off carbs and cleaning them,jetting them and tinkering , EFI on the other hand no nothing about in a sled Has there been any know probs with the F7 EFI wise? I will have to read up a little more then decide I think you have till the end of march to order one correct? Thanks for the advice :)

·
Registered
780 Posts
SNODonkey, I had SRX's as well before getting F7 last year. After riding F7 for a while you will wonder why you kept SRX. If you get Sno-Pro just get a 1" track and gear it up and you should get similar performance to SRX on top with Firecat performance through the bumps. Most of the problems with F7 were related to incorrect oil pump calibration which is an easy fix. Fundamental design is very sound. 120+ Mph on glare ice is easily achievable. The best I've seen is my buddies F7 with 1" track stock cluthing V-Force and 24/39 gears 122.5 mph on the gun in 2500', with no wind. The best we ever got out of an SRX was 123.1 mph on the gun 5000' of glare ice with about a 40 mph tailwind. In similar conditions we think 124-125 is easily achieveable with F7, the chasis is very slippery and efficient.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I think if i was used to tinkering with the carbs i get the carbed model so i can mess around with pipes and what not..but damn i like srx's they pack alot of power and i think they'd beat an f-7 by about 2 sleds if setup right. both ways tho i'd love to own both of em!!! i'd either get the night fire or the black fighter pilot tho..

·
Registered
229 Posts
98 ZR 600 EFI, 03 F7 EFI, and the next one will be EFI. Not one problem with either sled. EFI is the way to go.

·
Registered
534 Posts
If you really like playing with carbs and tinkering, I guess you might be saving the $400. With that you could get some aftermarket mods. But consider this.

1. Not having to worry about getting gas on your hands playing with jetting every time the weather changes drastically.

2. Since AC EFI is bulletproof. Never pulling the pull cord more than twice to start the sled, even on the coldest days. (I saw even an F5 carb get "pulled" about 10 times last week up north and some guys - won't mention the brand - pulling their sleds over 7 to 14 times playing with the throttle to get them started after eating lunch in -30 degree wind chill near Lake in the Clouds). Under those same conditions, our EFI sleds started on the first or second pull every time.

3. The EFI sled will run better because conditions are constantly changing, heck in Michigan it can be 25 degrees in the morning and 5 below by evening if you ride into the night. Weather conditions change here a lot, jetting doesn't as your riding. Because of this, unless your doing a lot of racing and tuning, the EFI will be running better probably 8 or 9 times out of 10. I'd vote for consistancy again. Goodbye Carbs.

4. As far as mods go. If your getting a warrenty and want it and value it. Most higher end mods requiring carbed sleds will void your warrenty. The F7 is so close to bleeding edge performance anyway, there's little need for them.

What you might want to do is bum a test ride off of someone's well running F7. One that has had the throttle cables and power valves set right. (If they have 1500 miles and haven't adjusted it, they may not run as hot or fast as a new one.) Once you get a little seat time, it will give you a new perspective on the total coolness of EFI. In either case, your gonna love that new F7 sled.

(I know what your mean about wanting to keep the triples. Most triple guys like the triple sound, smoothness, etc. No harm in keeping the old one. However many triple diehards are getting converted to the Firecat, once your on one, it's very hard to want to ride the older stuff again.)

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a patriot EFI snowpro and i love it, had an 800 last year and the f7 is the best. I would go with the EFI, and if it is cold add dry gas

·
Registered
9 Posts
i have a f7 snopro with the 1-3/8 track, i went on a trip with an srx 700 and could beat it across the lake and in the trails. I could take it in a drag race and top end. But of all the sleds i have been up against so far it was definitely the closest.
joe

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey yukon I would think your local cat dealer would have a flyer or some pics of the different F7's or F6's. Check with them for sno checkin,it said on the flyer you have till April 15th .probally have to put down $300 for your order thats what yamaha always wanted , not sure about cat. Good luck i will be ordering the EFI now :) Thanks for all the info. great site :) retail is $7999 hope to get one for around $7300 here in wisconsin.

·
Registered
43 Posts
My problem is that I live in KS but I'm moving to Alaska in May. I called the only Arctic Cat dealer in AK that I know of (Anchorage). He was absolutely worthless on the phone. He acted like he could care less if I bought something or not and was not very helpful. Everything I asked about was answered, "depends". He offered no real help. Really peeved me.

I don't have a dealer anywhere near me which is why I was asking someone for their brochure. I know that not everyone who gets the flier will use it.

What does the black fighter pilot look like? Any photo online of it? I've seen the gray one but it would look completely different in black.

If you put a deposit on one when will they typically arrive? I assume payments start after they arrive?

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Hey Snodonkey...I went from a Viper ER to the F7. I have owned nothing but Yamaha and have always been very brand loyal. My wife has a 99 phazer and the kids have a 98 jag dlx. and a 03 440 esr. (Yamaha forgot about the kids)I still believe the build quality of Yamaha is tough to beat. I had all sorts of indecision making the move to a Cat. Oh...i had some moments this year where i question the move...BUT, i tell you one thing for sure. This f7 has been a blast to ride. It just took a couple of hundred miles and i was right at home. I love the handling, suspension, performance etc...I've suffered through the first year problems and once all the updates have been completed the last 800 miles has been trouble free. I'll be looking at the 04's real close in the next few weeks.......The wife may end up on a new cat also...we'll see

Peter

1 - 17 of 17 Posts