Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Polaris XCR 850
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where do you guys buy your studs? Seems like a lot of places don't carry them anymore. I see Dennis Kirk still does & going to the Woodys, Stud Boy sites are helpful but expensive.
Amazon is not an option here. Anyone get them anywhere else?
Thanks!!

·
Registered
44,759 Posts
Where do you guys buy your studs? Seems like a lot of places don't carry them anymore. I see Dennis Kirk still does & going to the Woodys, Stud Boy sites are helpful but expensive.
Thanks!!
Haven't bought studs in some time, buy i use to get them from snow city in mich. They had pretty decent costs with gold diggers. Found some great deals on a certain stud size too from eBay.

·
Registered
2022 Polaris XCR 850
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Snow City / White Star Auctions is actually a little more than an hour from my home. Just haven't been there in a few years, have to re-visit them. There site shows about what I want & cheaper!
Thanks!!

·
Registered
‘22 ThunderCat EPS,‘20 Skidoo XRS 900T
26 Posts
Thanks!!
Hey NDN,
I just bought 144 Woody’s Gold Diggers and backers for a 2 ply track from CB Performance parts which were great to deal with and had fast shipping. Depending on what brand of stud your looking for and if the studs will be used for single or two ply tracks that’ll limit you to where you purchase and find studs availablE. If you like Woody’s I found a supplier that sells their Woody’s Gold diggers for a great deal compared to others on the internet.

Good luck in your search

·
Registered
2022 Polaris XCR 850
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thanks for the reply's. I've always went with Woodys in the past & probably will again after re-researching. But, I may end up using the Stud Boy plastic Pro Series .75 double backers. Weight savings with no nuts. I've watched a few Youtube vids on them. A little more $$$.
Anyone have experience with these?

·
Registered
44,759 Posts
Thanks for the reply's. I've always went with Woodys in the past & probably will again after re-researching. But, I may end up using the Stud Boy plastic Pro Series .75 double backers. Weight savings with no nuts. I've watched a few Youtube vids on them. A little more $$$.
Anyone have experience with these?
Only thing i'd recommend when using plastic backers is to get the double ones. I still have the woody's gold digger studs with mostly aluminum double backers in my track...no bent or pullouts in the last 10 years.

·
Registered
2022 Polaris XCR 850
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I went away from single backers 3 masheens ago.. I agree

·
Registered
6,612 Posts
Id caution against using doubles on a trail sled.When singles pull out you have a hole and maybe a little damage.When doubles pull out you have a junk track and a LOT of sled damage.
Just my .02 from what Ive seen over the last few years with the sleds I work on.Putting a front heat exchanger in some of the newer sleds is no joke.
The doubles do however promote a lot more traction than the same amount of singles.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I run INS Hornet HNT-164 studs on a 1.38 cobra track as recommended by fastsledder with stud Boy aluminum backers on the Indy 129". Assault has recommended 1.375 length Stud Boys with the plastic backers as does the Pro-S 600.

No complaints on the plastic backers but the longer hornets with sharper point hook up like nothing I've ridden before. You will not lose the hole shot if you can keep it under control. They have held up good but you have to use your head when in less then ideal conditions.
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Bicycle tire Motor vehicle

·
Registered
2022 Polaris XCR 850
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Id caution against using doubles on a trail sled.When singles pull out you have a hole and maybe a little damage.When doubles pull out you have a junk track and a LOT of sled damage.
Just my .02 from what Ive seen over the last few years with the sleds I work on.Putting a front heat exchanger in some of the newer sleds is no joke.
The doubles do however promote a lot more traction than the same amount of singles.
I'd agree but if they (doubles) are installed properly & checked (tightened if needed) a few times throughout the season there shouldn't be issues. I personally haven't had any problems doing these things.

·
Premium Member
39,170 Posts
That's why I only use angled backers, never, ever had any pull out and that's on several of my sleds with over 300 HP.

·
Registered
6,612 Posts
Id agree with you guys that the doubles work great but as Scuba said you need to really use your head in less than ideal conditions.If you are in the power over a rock,stump,or dirt by accident its asking for trouble with any stud but especially doubles.Im just saying use caution because of the major sled repairs Ive had to do on sleds that I worked on.A front heat exchanger on a Polaris is bolted,riveted ,and glued in plus removal of the skid ,track ,and engine to change it.

·
Registered
'17 XCR 800 / '18 XCR 800 SB
1,384 Posts
Id agree with you guys that the doubles work great but as Scuba said you need to really use your head in less than ideal conditions.If you are in the power over a rock,stump,or dirt by accident its asking for trouble with any stud but especially doubles.Im just saying use caution because of the major sled repairs Ive had to do on sleds that I worked on.A front heat exchanger on a Polaris is bolted,riveted ,and glued in plus removal of the skid ,track ,and engine to change it.
X2. I had a double rip out on me last season. Little under 5K on the studs. Ripped a hole in the exchanger. fastsledder welded it for me. We were discussing the double vs singles. He sees mostly doubles ripped out with his repairs. He actually had 2 of his machines with doubles ripped out.
I don't recall hitting anything, but probably good chance, or little age. I retorque them every preseason.

I purchased my Woody's through Hi-Performance Engineering on clearance.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts