Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Mxz 600 etec and 2020 Indy XC 800 129
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I'm looking at a new sled at dealer in Quebec and live in Ontario. Anyone familiar with the tax logistics? Have heard pay Ont rate at dealer, pay Que rate at dealer, and someone had to pay taxes in both provinces which seems unlikely.
Thnx

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Makes sense and totals the 13% we pay here.
Thanks

·
Registered
242 Posts
I bought a car in Montreal last February from a dealer. They were quite famliar with selling vehicles to Ontario residents. I paid them the federal 5% potion and paid the 8% Ontario portion when I switched the vehicle into my name at Service Ontario. I did have to go to a Provincially run Service Ontario as the local franchisee did not want any part of doing the transfer. Too much time for the commission they would earn I think.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I have bought a few sleds in Quebec and most dealers just charge you the 5% GST portion and then Service Ontario makes you pay the 8% when you transfer the registration into your name.

·
Registered
318 Posts
My wife works for Service Ontario licensing and vehicles, she agree's, the easiest way is to just pay for the sled and the 5% federal tax at the dealer, then pay the 8% provincial when you go register it into your name when you get back to a Service Ontario here. Just make sure the dealer doesn't try and register in your name in Quebec. They should give you a bill of sale and if its a brand new sled it should also come with a NVIS.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all. Dealer is in Gatineau and has omvic registration to allow them to collect 13% and submit appropriately. It is brand new.
I've since found Gov Can info that echos comments above, pay 5% in Que and 8% in Ont.
I'll stop at Service Ont in Ottawa 10 minutes from the dealer and transfer right away.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I have done it 5 times. You used to get away with paying only GST and then ONT PST when you registered it here. Quebec changed it 3 years ago. You pay full Quebec HST, around 14%. When you register it in Ontario you pay Ontario PST on the purchase price and then you send everything to Revenue Quebec to get the Quebec PST refunded after you have proved that you paid PST to Ontario. A good dealer would have all the paperwork ready for you. OMVIC may change things for you as my dealer was in Amos Quebec and it was worth the drive from Toronto

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So an update. Picked up sled in Gatineau yesterday and went to Service Ont with bill of sale showing 13% paid and new vehicle something form... Was done in 5 minutes with new numbers and ownership, no other tax to pay.
Unfortunately the person that bought mine is getting hassled by service ont since the ownership is in my name. She's being told ownership should have gone into dealership name first which makes to sense to me...The deal went through the dealer and she paid tax to dealer and has signed contract...

·
Registered
318 Posts
Yep, the dealer should have flipped the ownership into their name before selling it. They are trying to cut corners.
The new vehicle form is a NVIS.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Sorry, just asked my wife and I was wrong...see I should always ask my wife first...she said the dealer in Que does not need to transfer it into their name. The new buyer needs just the Que bill of sale and your old ownership. She said the Service Ontario the new buyer went to is getting confused, because dealers in ON do have to transfer to their name before selling.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks gammer, appreciate the insights and thank your wife!
My buyer is going to visit a different location on Monday. Maybe should send her to where your wife works lol.
Yes it was a NVIS form.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Hi all,
I'm looking at a new sled at dealer in Quebec and live in Ontario. Anyone familiar with the tax logistics? Have heard pay Ont rate at dealer, pay Que rate at dealer, and someone had to pay taxes in both provinces which seems unlikely.
Thnx
I paid tax in Quebec at time of sale. Brought paperwork into Service NB, no problems.
Quebec and New Brunswick both have 15% sales tax. My dealer sells many sleds to New Brunswick.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts