Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of picking up a firecat from this guy in minesota he is giving me a great deal on it but i was wondering how it was to cross the border with it. I would imagine that it would be costly duty and tax wise? has anyone ever done it before? let me know what you think

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Taxes , duty ,and all the documentation get's quite expensive . I know one guy that bought out of the states , and he had to wait 48 hours at the border for all the paper work to clear . Then you got the price of fuel to go pick it up and currency conversion . You're probably better off to buy here in Canada .

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Look in this exact group from a few months back... there is along thread on it. I did it last year from NY. I had a hassle because of a lack of knowledge by Canadian Customs. Only extra fee is $182 Cdn., plus normal taxes (PST and GST) See www.riv.ca

·
Premium Member
15,688 Posts
^^What he said.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I just did it with a 2005 RX1 ER,LE with 1100miles and I can tell you it was worth it and their was no hassle. Don't let people with no idea sway you. I paid $6100 US which came out to $7500 Cnd.
When I got to the border in Windsor they were awsome, I produced my receipt and had to pay PST on the receipt value of course, then they gave me a form to mail away (Vehicle Import Form) which I did with a cheque for $182.
I was in and out of customs in 1/2 hr, now I had to wait three weeks fot them to send me my Form #1 which I then took my sled to my local Canadian Tire (no fee) and they inspected and stamped the form. I then took off to the licence bureau and paid the GST. All said and done I saved over $2300 dollars compared to my buddy who bought the exact same sled two weeks earlier for $9400 Cdn and with tax $10,800.

Now for all those who are hesitant you do the math and you tell me if it's worth the hassel.

Roy in Ottawa.

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
Yep, sell in Canada and buy in U.S., you save thousands and the border is a breeze.

Jim

·
Premium Member
5,060 Posts
I am doing the exact opposite in 3 weeks. (Buying a sled from Canada to bring into the USA) I was told that I would need a custom's form, receipt of purchase, and registration or title form. I am assuming that you would need the same if you are bringing a sled into Canada.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Im in the process of doing it right now, most of its been covered here except that you have to fax a copy of the registration to US customs, stating I sold this sled to so and so, 72 hrs before you cross, make sure you have confirmation(fax log) that you sent this, or your sled will not be leaving the states that day. Buddy at work found this out the hard way brining a truck across 2 weeks ago.
I,ll be picking up mon. or tues. I,ll let you know how it goes.

Everthing you need to know is here- Registrar of imported vehicles

Todd

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Looking at bringing a sled in from Mich. owner has a lien on the sled, and there is no title, only registration. Will be crossing at sarnia, anyone deal with this before? Any suggestions?

:beerchug:
Kyle

·
Registered
124 Posts
I got mine back a week ago, no problems, pretty easy to do.
Dont know about the lien, might be a problem.
Mich. dosent have titles for sleds, so the registration is fine, Thats all I faxed to the U.S side, see my above post.
I came across at Sarnia as well, the biggies are the fax to Port Huron side 72 hrs before and confirmation of the fax, and a recipt for this side so they can get your taxes figured out, its all on the RIV web site.

Todd

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Is the fax to US customers new this year?

US customs did not give a shit last year when I brought a sled into Can. Can. customs called US to verify, and US said that sleds are exempt from the normal auto rules, where a fax to US 72 hours prior would apply.

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
I have bought 4 sleds in the last year and have never had to fax in advance.

The lien, for your protection must be removed at the same time you buy or else the lien holder can come after you even in Canada for the sled.

Jim

·
Registered
124 Posts
I dont know if its new, but when I called US to see what I needed to do they said every vehicle being exported from the States needs to do this, and buddy at work had to leave his truck over there when he did not so I covered my ass and did it.

This is from the Registrar of imported vehicles site-

U.S. Customs requires notification of all self-propelled vehicles being permanently exported from the United States. Their regulations state that at land border points:
1. The required documentation must be submitted to U.S. Customs at least 72 hours prior to export; and
2. The vehicle must be presented to U.S. Customs at the time of export.
U.S. Customs recommends that you contact the port of crossing directly to determine exact documentation requirements and hours of operation.

Todd

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
You only have to fax the title for cars and trucks for the 3 day check when bring in from the states. Snowmobiles, boat trailers and ATVs just show up with ownership and receipt, pay for the form 1, $182.00, pay yours taxes and go.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Im not arguing here, but just relaying my experiences, when I stopped on the American side and said, " Im exporting a snowmobile, the first thing he said was do you have comfirmation of your fax" and on the way over when I told the guy at the booth I was going to buy a sled he said " you know you have to export that and send a fax 3 days before"
So you may be right , but this is how mine went a week ago.

So Im just trying to save someone some grief, the Canadian side is easy , recipt, ownership and show me the money and your in, but my advice would be call the American side before you come acros to make sure .

Todd

1 - 20 of 21 Posts