Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the sled out last week, was the first time I rode it that it was relatively warm out, and it overheated, shut it down, there isnt any coolant in the resevoir, there isnt any on the ground either. Filled it up, and its fine, no leaks, no skips, nothing, and it is holding its level. Was there an air pocket caught in there from the factory? I bought the sled with 136 miles, so this kind of thing wouldnt have necessarily had a chance to work itself out.

If this is a real phenomenon, and not a figment of my imagination, how would you "burp" the cooling system on a car?

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
There is a way to burp it. I think you pick up the front to do it. Do a search on here and it will say how.

Took the sled out last week, was the first time I rode it that it was relatively warm out, and it overheated, shut it down, there isnt any coolant in the resevoir, there isnt any on the ground either. Filled it up, and its fine, no leaks, no skips, nothing, and it is holding its level. Was there an air pocket caught in there from the factory? I bought the sled with 136 miles, so this kind of thing wouldnt have necessarily had a chance to work itself out.

If this is a real phenomenon, and not a figment of my imagination, how would you "burp" the cooling system on a car?[/b]

·
Registered
423 Posts
yes, raise the front end. pull onto a snow bank and park it. this allows the air in the back tunnel cooler to "burp" back to the front. with the cap off the resevoir, idle the sled. there is a bleed valve on one of the hoses on the motor (I dont know where specifically on the firecat). slow purge the system. after the resevoir is full and not taking any more, put the cap on.

take it for a few spins around the yard and check it again. then you will be good to go. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Never heard of needing to do it with a car.

how about the procedure for a car or truck?[/b]

·
Premium Member
921 Posts
Many European cars & I know my Ferrari required air purging.

On the Firecat you need to get the front up & than tilt the sides (do a search in the firecat forum) 1 side you do not want to tilt too long because of the oil.

Reach your hand down on the heat exchanger right hand side you should feel it getting warm.

Let cool down - top off & repeat.

She will be just fine at that point.

Chris

·
Registered
423 Posts
Many European cars & I know my Ferrari required air purging.

On the Firecat you need to get the front up & than tilt the sides (do a search in the firecat forum) 1 side you do not want to tilt too long because of the oil.

Reach your hand down on the heat exchanger right hand side you should feel it getting warm.

Let cool down - top off & repeat.

She will be just fine at that point.

Chris[/b]
it must be a hell of a drive for a weekend ride in pittsburgh :wacko:

·
Premium Member
921 Posts
it must be a hell of a drive for a weekend ride in pittsburgh :wacko:[/b]
The weekend ride is the ride trailering up- only 1100 miles + or - :). We go for a week at a time. 1 week January & 1 week February.

Kinda funny when I read people all stressed out over a 6 hour journey to go ride- lol. Hell we get within 6 hours we almost there! Funny part is my wife is from Here (SC) she would rather go snowmobiling than visit Maui. Her favorite vacation of the year. Everyone else here thinks we are mental :frantics:

Chris

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
The weekend ride is the ride trailering up- only 1100 miles + or - :). We go for a week at a time. 1 week January & 1 week February.

Kinda funny when I read people all stressed out over a 6 hour journey to go ride- lol. Hell we get within 6 hours we almost there! Funny part is my wife is from Here (SC) she would rather go snowmobiling than visit Maui. Her favorite vacation of the year. Everyone else here thinks we are mental :frantics:

Chris[/b]
if you hammer down on your ferrari i bet you could shave some serious time off your trip. don't know where you would put the sleds though.

·
Premium Member
6,134 Posts
to burp it, throw a towle on the ground and slap the seat till it burps, you may have to repeat, just be sure it doesnt spit up.

jk, yet they have to be burped, cars sometimes do as well. they ussually have a bleeder on them, you unscrew it with the car running till the water comes out let it get to temp ect and its good to go. i used to have to do it with my race car untill i did the electric water pump with no t-stat

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Very common to have to burp air from car and truck systems , if no bleeder is available loosen a heater hose clamp as high as possible. Most vehicles have a vent line from thermostat area to resevoir. If a heat exchanger clamp is accessable on the sled, it may be a good place to try.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts