Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 06 fst switchback and keep burning belts. have had all updates done. 653 miles on my sled and 7 belts. have had clutch alignment checked twice by dealer. have had to replace the foward clutch once because the face got so hot it popped the surface. just sent it back to the dealer for the same problem. belt and clutch burnt. they told me i need to install slp vent kit to fix problem. polaris won't warranty or buy vent kit. anyone else having a problem???? have been riding sleds for a long time and ride with 20 plus other riders. consider my riding normal for a sled. do not drag or snow cross my sled. frustrated!!!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I own a 06 fst switchback and keep burning belts. have had all updates done. 653 miles on my sled and 7 belts. have had clutch alignment checked twice by dealer. have had to replace the foward clutch once because the face got so hot it popped the surface. just sent it back to the dealer for the same problem. belt and clutch burnt. they told me i need to install slp vent kit to fix problem. polaris won't warranty or buy vent kit. anyone else having a problem???? have been riding sleds for a long time and ride with 20 plus other riders. consider my riding normal for a sled. do not drag or snow cross my sled. frustrated!!!![/b]

·
Registered
6,556 Posts
Do you do a lot of off trail riding? Have you changed the length or lug height of the track? Stock clutching? Have you been shown how to adjust the belt deflection properly? Before using a new belt, wash it in hot soapy water, and scrub the sides with a green scotchbrite pad.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Do you do a lot of off trail riding? Have you changed the length or lug height of the track? Stock clutching? Have you been shown how to adjust the belt deflection properly? Before using a new belt, wash it in hot soapy water, and scrub the sides with a green scotchbrite pad.[/b]

I smoked half a dozen before I realized how high the factory gearing was. I geared way down because I ride deep powder at 10-12000 feet and did the slp kit and the 900 rmk factory vent and it solved my problems completely. Even if you ride trails at sea level, the clutches get too hot. I tried to get Polaris to warranty my vent that they were putting on the 900's and they said FST's don't have heat issues on the clutches. It sucks to have to buy that kind of stuff but it is well worth the coin to not grenade a belt everytime you ride.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I am very easy on my sled, and still went thru a belt every 400 miles. Boondocking is slower speed work and deeper lugs will add the work to the clutches.

The 06 FST switcher is geared incorrectly for any off trail use. It has the very same gearing as the classic and LX sled, which means it is not correct for slow travel and off trail.

Do yourself a favor and let the dealer put the gearing where it needs to be, which is closer to 2:1 instead of 1.67 to 1.

You will lose a bit on the top end, but small price to pay for keeping the belt cooler and clutchs from over-heating.

Polaris just stuck the turbo into the IQ chassis without a thought of the extra heat under that hood. Venting will improve things too, but the gearing is the most reason for the overheat.

Look here:

Top Bottom Ratio

26 40 1.54
25 40 1.60
26 43 1.65
24 40 1.67 <--FST Switchback/FST Classic/IQ/IQ LX Stock
26 44 1.69
25 43 1.72
23 40 1.74
25 44 1.76
26 46 1.77
24 43 1.79
22 40 1.82
24 44 1.83 <--FST Touring
25 46 1.84
23 43 1.87
21 40 1.90 <-- this changes only top gear with stock bottom.
23 44 1.91
24 46 1.92
22 43 1.95
22 44 2.00
23 46 2.00
21 43 2.05 <-- some switchers like this setup better in powder
22 46 2.09
21 44 2.10
21 46 2.19

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the info on the belt. sled is all stock but i have thought of changing the gearing. polaris didn't cover belts or clutches but did give me dealer credit. something anyway. just received slp vent kit they recommended and hope that cures all of my problems.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts