Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
99 ZL 600

I replaced my motor recently and rode it for about 500 miles, runs great other than the fact I'm burning over a quart of oil per half a tank of gas, I also noticed oil leaking somewhere on the front of the motor under the y-pipe but not enough to account for the loss. I can't tell exactly where it is coming from. I changed the plugs at about 100 miles and they were both crusted pretty bad, I actually don't know how it ran as good as it did with plugs that bad. Aside from the oil leak, from what I've read maybe my oil pump is bad? I double checked to make sure it is syncrinized which it is. There isn't any other adjustments is there? I still have the oil pump from the motor I pulled but I wanted to check to see if anyone has any advice on what to do.

·
Registered
172 Posts
TAKE A MIRROR AND MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE LINES PERFECTLEY ALIGNED ON PUMP.IF THEY ARE READJUST A LITTLE AND TAKE SOME OIL AWAY FROM IT.I DON'T THINK YOU HAVE A OIL LEAK.IT IS PUTTING SO MUCH IN CYL. IT CAN'T BURN IT AND BLOWS THROUGH INTO PIPE,WHERE YOU SEE OIL. JMOP.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Preferably with the motor off, take a look at your throttle linkage when you work the throttle - can you see the linkage that works your pump? Typically Cat sets the linkage VERY rich so that they don't have any warranty issues with lean-outs - AND - they like to sell oil.

My ZRT 600 was set at about 30:1, and my '02 ZR600 CC EFI was set at 24:1. Everybody has an opinion, but anything close to 50:1 should be fine - I'm happy with anything between 45 and 50 to 1.

I agree with "The Dog", you proably have blow through because it is set insane rich.

Post a question on how to adjust oil pump linkage on your 99 ZL 600 - I have never really looked at the linkage on that sled, so I cannot comment.

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
" Preferably with the motor off " I like that one because I can honestly say that I can see guys trying to do just that going.... down the road peeking in and holding the hood up....

·
Registered
585 Posts
" Preferably with the motor off " I like that one because I can honestly say that I can see guys trying to do just that going.... down the road peeking in and holding the hood up....[/b]
Hey Dog, I was thinking more along the line of grabbing a handful of throttle and watching the ZL go through the garage door! I thought I had seen it all, until I seen a dude put a track dolly through a garage door. You can never be too specific 'eh?

Oh ya, hey Lahey... I forgot to say the linkage is adjustable. You asked if there was any other adjustments, and this is the adjustment... the throttle linkage - usually from the carbs/throttle bodies to the pump. More throttle = more RPM -> requiring more oil.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts