Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1.320 miles in larime WY. last weekend . Had a piston noise after 100 miles, rode it two more days, and it ran fine. When I got home I pulled the Y-pipe and the recoil cylinder and piston were skuffed badly the rings were also stuck! The other side looks fine. It still ran 100 mph at 8000+ feet!!!!
2.Also the rear sissors broke, the cross shaft that holds the spring adjusters, broke off causing the skid to colapse. It was caused by a bad weld.

Check your welds!!

The dealer ordered new parts, but the cylinder is on B.O. till 12-14! Shit!!

So quit your bitching about the small problems, its a great machine!!

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
firecatsnopro,

When the weld failed and the rear suspension collapsed, did it cause any physical damage to the sled(not because of a crash type thing, but things like scratching/guaging the tunnel, snowflap, ect....) Thanks.
-John

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nothing bad, the springs chewed up the top of the rails a bit and knocked off one of the rubber stops.
We were 40 miles in the back country, and had to stick a Big rock under the sissors so I could get back! NICE RIDE!!

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
firecatsnopro,

Thanks for the info. I have read of several people that this has happened to already, and I really think AC should take a good hard look at this potential problem and recall and replace these arms with a better welded/constructed component.

This issue could very realisticly be a safety concern/issue. Can you imagine riding on a twisty wooded trail at 50-60mph. and having your rear suspension collapse on your sled, or.... worse yet, blasting down a smooth flat straight-away at 70-80mph. and hitting a marginal sized bump and having this component come apart??? This would definetly cause a loss of control(and hope that no one is coming towards you), NO IF, ANDS, or Buts about it!!

I hope AC is paying attention to these boards....
-John

G

·
0 Posts
Hey, misery loves company! Guess I'll be waiting on that back ordered cylinder too! Glad to see your a little more upbeat than me regarding the situation. Did riding with the rock acting as the rear suspension improve your traction, LOL.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Make noise at your dealer. Ours took a cylinder off another new machine, cause we are going riding this weekend and would not take no for an answer.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Did you follow the break-in guide of 100 to 1 for the oil in the first tank full ? Wondering.. if so what caused your piston problem did dealer say. ?

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the dealer put in the 100-1. Break in WHATS THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!! I get a new sled every year, the only way to break it in is to warm it up and pin the bitch!!!
Thats what warranty in for!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I agree Big Jugs, that was pretty comical Firecatsnopro!!! made me snicker!!!!

·
Registered
53 Posts
firecatsnopro...

Too bad your dealer didn't believe in stocking parts for the firecats...tell him that is what pre season parts ordering is for. Great attitude wish you were one of our customers! lol

·
Registered
629 Posts
Originally posted by firecatsnopro@Dec 6 2002, 05:27 PM
the dealer put in the 100-1. Break in WHATS THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!! I get a new sled every year, the only way to break it in is to warm it up and pin the bitch!!!
Thats what warranty in for!
firecat, same break in theroy of you,, did not bother my ZR 700, MC900 or the F7.

Dealer said to run it 8 miles check for rattles or noise, and than ride it like you are going to.

So I have been more WOT in 120 miles than anything. Sled still runs great, getting better by the mile.

My dealer raced his two F7s at the grass drags, and never ran the 100:1 and ran great, kicked butt

·
Registered
289 Posts
I took my F7 Sabercat Snopro straight from the dealer to the the grass drags. Once there she was pinned hard all day with less than 2 hours on it. By the end of the day it had 5 hours and all wot. She is the strongest in our area and this is the break in that I have done on all my new equipment, sleds cars, trucks, boats, bikes and anything I have rebuilt or had rebuilt.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Originally posted by Evil Twin@Dec 7 2002, 08:33 AM
I took my F7 Sabercat Snopro straight from the dealer to the the grass drags. Once there she was pinned hard all day with less than 2 hours on it. By the end of the day it had 5 hours and all wot. She is the strongest in our area and this is the break in that I have done on all my new equipment, sleds cars, trucks, boats, bikes and anything I have rebuilt or had rebuilt.
Youy got it. no babying it...........

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
:rolleyes: Yea Great aittude.. that why you'll be sitting and watching all the cats go bye...

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hell it will still go faster on one cylinder, than you burpers trying to brake it in the RIGHT way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DID YOU EVER OWN A SLED BEFORE?
Its a high performance toy, not a waxed trailer queen show car!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts