Hardcore Sledder banner

221 - 240 of 276 Posts

·
Super Moderator
36,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #221
+/ 6 inches of new snow last night and still snowing lightly this morning, Jan. 18th.:buttrock:

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Great to hear. They completely blew the forecast down here - maybe 3-4" at best and some freezing rain. We got more out of the 2 little systems earlier in the week.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Great to hear. They completely blew the forecast down here - maybe 3-4" at best and some freezing rain. We got more out of the 2 little systems earlier in the week.

Same at my house. About four inches. Now the wind is starting to really blow hard. The weather wishers sure like to overplay everything to keep us glued to the weather to keep us watching.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hey Orville, where are you reporting from? I am in Chetek. We got about 5" or so. Kinda hard to tell since it was blowing around. Part of my deck had a foot, the other part had 2".

I went for a short ride towards Weyerhaeuser. Trails weren't groomed, but still pretty nice.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Hey Orville, where are you reporting from? I am in Chetek. We got about 5" or so. Kinda hard to tell since it was blowing around. Part of my deck had a foot, the other part had 2".

I went for a short ride towards Weyerhaeuser. Trails weren't groomed, but still pretty nice.
I'm a bit southeast of you, border of Rusk and Chippewa county - 10 miles away from anywhere. I made a loop up through the Blue Hills today and came south through Weyerhaeuser, noticeably more snow up there.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Hey guys, had an awesome weekend up north to the chippewa flowage area!

I took my tow rope out to pull by buddys sled back Saturday night coming back from Moose lake. I forgot to zip my tunnel bag back up and lost my hat and 1 mitten on the trail. Some nice person picked them up and have them at Deer run. If anyone is up that way and coming back to the Hudson, Wi or St Paul, MN area and willing to meet up with me I'd be grateful. If not no big deal I'll pay them to mail them.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Hey guys, had an awesome weekend up north to the chippewa flowage area!

I took my tow rope out to pull by buddys sled back Saturday night coming back from Moose lake. I forgot to zip my tunnel bag back up and lost my hat and 1 mitten on the trail. Some nice person picked them up and have them at Deer run. If anyone is up that way and coming back to the Hudson, Wi or St Paul, MN area and willing to meet up with me I'd be grateful. If not no big deal I'll pay them to mail them.
Your third option would be just to go snowmobiling again next weekend.....

·
Administrator
20,659 Posts
Great weekend in the Sawyer/Bayfield Counties area this past weekend! Kudos to the clubs & groomers (and Hayward Powersports for getting my buddy's heated shield working again!). There was plenty of traffic up there, which was awesome to see for the businesses too. I hope the extended forecast with the warmer temps don't wreak too much havoc up there - maybe a few more storms will brew? :dunno:

·
Super Moderator
36,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #230
I think a few days of warm weather won't hurt the trails much if at all, might actually help set them up some.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
We stayed by the Flambeau Flowage, traffic and the amount of sleds were insane in the "popular" areas. Many pit stops were standing room only. Thank god not many people ride Ashland County, Any trails that we went on In Ashland County were in great shape except for a few miles that was plowed for logging.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I think a few days of warm weather won't hurt the trails much if at all, might actually help set them up some.
The base will only get better with the 6" plus of new snow this past week. It should be pretty solid base and hold up to a few warm days. After all, it did hold up to a couple days of rain after xmas.

·
Administrator
20,659 Posts
I'm sure it will be fine since these are forecast as HIGH temps for the day. So between the overnight cooldown and only hitting the high for a couple hours it should be OK. But this is what I saw as the extended forecast/temps for Cable:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
582 Posts
January thaw that's all>>>>>>That's better than 40 degrees out though>>>>>I'll let you all know how the trails are this week>>>>:bc2:

·
Registered
2018 XCR Switchback 800
1,434 Posts
Was great to be back in the north woods of Sconnie for 4 days of EXCELLENT riding!

We hit the high traffic areas through Moose Lake and then towards Lakewoods on Thursday and then Friday morning - holy Hannah the large groups were coming out like flies, must have seen over 100 sleds in just a few hours zig zagging around Namakogen - glad we vacated the area by 2:00 Friday. I know they were out with the groomer on Friday, but soooo many sleds. Took the long way back through Clam Lake by trail. Saturday rode south and east in the fresh snow through Hawkins, Phillips, up to Park Falls and back. All of that was still in great shape Saturday night. Sunday rode north through the forest to Clam Lake, then the east loop through Glidden, Butternut and Park Falls again - hats off to Park Falls for grooming EVERYTHING on Sunday morning! Some really nice trails west of town there. Saw maybe 20 sleds all day Sunday.

A great 575 mile weekend with my son - hope everyone else stayed safe! Will try to be up there again this year.

·
Super Moderator
36,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #236
Here's temps. near us:

18°

Hist. Avg.
22°/-1°

20°

Hist. Avg.
22°/-1°

21°