Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had sled on it's side to grease it and look everything over and noticed a broken strap. Looks like it broke @ the edge of the stud backer on the top side. Did have straps tightened up 1" (drilled my own holes). I plan on backing them of a bit when the new ones come in, as I have too much ski pressure.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
The limiter straps take a LOT of abuse under there. Good idea to check them OFTEN, along with all the other suspension nuts and bolts. Every time your skid hits a bump, the limiters flex upwards and make contact with the inside of the top of the track and/or track clips.

Also, why we're on this subject, I've noticed that it seems like snow and ice can build on the shaft under the limiters when they flex up. After a while, this has the same effect as shortening the straps of course, which can change your suspension and weight transfer characteristics. In fact, I remember some guys thinking their shocks were blown or something else, because they could move the rear suspension up and down with just a few fingers. Well, my guess is that the front straps had built up snow and ice under them, and that was causing the rear of the skid to have a two or three inch moveable sag as Rob described in one of his posts on the effects of shortening the front straps. I put a HD zip-tie on the top of each limiter strap securing it to the shaft to help reduce or eliminate this snow and ice build-up problem. Next time you've got your skid thawed out, take a look and you'll see what I'm referring to.

For you guys that have tightened up your front ski springs much, don't forget that will also raise the front of the skid a bit further off the ground as well. Just some things to keep in mind! -- Roy

1 - 3 of 3 Posts