Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know, I know, I should have replaced it this fall when I was in there, but the sled had close to 5,000 miles on it and i didnt think it would happen to me. But, yesterday I heard some weird noises in my chaincase and I thought I knew what happened. Took it apart today and thats what happened, i got really lucky and it looks like everything inside is still fine. My chain, gears, cover, chaincase, but my roller is the only thing that worries me.

I am going to just pull my driveshaft out and bring it in to pull out the bolt. But, I want to make sure everything looks fine and ill just be able to put a new bolt in.

Here are some pics of everything. The roller looks worse then it is, its still pretty smooth. But I need to get this fixed fast, im leaving for michigan on wednesday, so it has to be done and in the truck. Everything look ok?

·
Registered
12,705 Posts
Call the local dealer first thing Monday morning and see if they have that roller. I would replace it. If I were you and couldn’t get one fast I would put it back together with the parts you have and replace it later. I have also read where some people have gone to the local bolt supply and got a grade 8 bolt to replace the one that broke. That would be a good idea. From the look of your pics things could have been much worse.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Yeah, deffinately replace that roller!

As for the bolt, the OEM is a 5/16-18 x 3/4" gr 8. At the minimum, replace it with another gr 8. There was a fairly good discussion on this a while ago, about drilling the shaft for a 3/8-24 bolt. Some say that is too hard to drill and some say it can be done fairly easy. I did this my self at home with a hand drill.

If you decide to go this route, use a "Q" size drill drill bit for the 3/8-24. You can use either a 3/4" or 1" bolt. The spring washer that went with the stock bolt will need to be drilled out to 13/32".

From there, with either bolt you use, you need to clean the inside of the threads out VERY well using carb or brake cleaner or better yet - ether and a small pipe cleaner brush. Clean the bolt and apply Loctite 271 (red) to the bolt. The 5/16" will get 19lbs of torque and if you go the 3/8 way, it will get 25-30lbs. From there before you install the rest of the stuff and add lube you should hit the head of the bolt with a propane torch for 4-5 seconds to set the Loctite. In the cold weather, normally it would take longer to set and the lube could interfere.

Good luck and happy riding ya lucky bastard!!!

·
Registered
413 Posts
I've had success drilling the hole for 3/8-24, but I haven't put many miles on the repair to say it won't come loose again. If you're gonna try this route, see if you can nick the shaft with a file near the bolt hole. If you can nick it, and the shaft is outta the machine, you should be able to drill it. Heat treat is a science and I can believe there is variation in the hardness of the production shafts. I've done em in the machine also w/ a right angle air drill. Get the broken bolt out first though if you can, they ARE hard. Go slow with the drill bit and lube it with cutting oil.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I had the samething happen to my pro x this year while pulling the sled in the garage from the trailer. Your lucky you cought it when you did. The bolt head that broke on mine made 2 holes in my chain case cover. The replacement bolts and the larger ones these guys are talking about are available at home depot in a 3 pack that like $1.25 for all three. Also if you have an easy out and an angled drill you can get the rest of that bolt out without taking anything else apart from the sled. It will literally take you only five minutes. I got lucky and a buddy of mine had an angled drill and easy out. In 10 minutes the sled was fixed and rideable again.

·
Registered
15,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will see what I can do today with the bolt. Wether or not I plan on drilling/tapping it out to a bigger size im not sure yet. I wanted to take out the shaft anyway so I could bring it in to my dads shop where i could put it in the mill. I also needed to fix my suspenstion. The front cross shaft I really F7ed the threads up last time I put a bolt in....i ended up need to grind that bolt head off also. :banghead:

Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
15,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well,i bought a reverse bit and drilled it out but had no luck.So i just put a little heat and it, pound the easy-out in, and it just came right out. I just went and bought a new .75 inch grade 8 bolt for it from fastenal. The washer i forget to check at fastenal, but i might end up just straightening it out and reusing it if i cant find the big enough one with the right size hole diameter

Took my front cross shaft and had a lot of trouble with that. I had to weld a nut onto the bolt that was sticking out a little bit and use the air rachet. Then i just took it and drilled it out to a 7/16-14 inch bolt on both sides.

The roller im not going to replace, the sled/atv/boat mechanic i worked with during the summer said that it didnt happen from the bolt shearing off and he said to just put it back in and it will be fine. Same thing my dad said and i also think its fine.

Im not going to replace the bearing in my chaincase, it feels awesome and looks like a new bearing anyway. But, I am getting a new bearing for the speedo side, should be in tomorow. While I had the skid out im going to replace the slides. The skid is in the shower right now thawing out...lets hope mom doesnt get very mad about that.

Even though this sucks that all of this happened, ive been wanting for a while to get in and replace my slides and fix that front shaft anyway, so now ill feel a lot better going out and riding it hard.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.