Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kev23, Slddog and myself did an awesome 80 mile run from Brisbane to north of Orangeville this morn. Making new tracks all the way to Orangeville, the trails, althought not groomed yet, were lots of fun with fresh powder and lots of drifts to be busted.

Met the Orangeville groomer starting to make its rounds at about 10.30. Despite the problems the Orangeville club had earlier in the fall, the trails have been quite good there the few times we have been thru there this year. Even the section from Highway 9 to the railbed was in good shape. Its amazing what a difference can be made with a few additional volunteers, and a bit more snow. I wish them the best.

Met several flocks of wild turkeys on the trails. All the standing corn is probably providing them with a pretty good winter. I have never seen them so far south in previous years. Does anyone know if these turkeys native or feral, seriously??

Lots of sleds were starting to head out when we got back around 12.30. Conditions should be awesome for a run on Friday.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Forget the trails, we were running the roads over in Hockley : ) ... the snow's still coming down, although now it's at a much lighter pace. since last night we've received about 15 cm of fresh.

glad to hear that the trails are better around orangeville. we desperately needed the snow. i was out in the early afternoon on Christmas eve and things weren't too good. behind Larry's, all the way up the rail bed to the Hillsburgh cutoff was generally poor. the base was exposed in most places and others were down to just plain frozen mud. there were a few wet spots, too.

anybody feel like doing a night run later in the week? i was talking to some friends who rode from Shelburne through to Dundalk before this snow hit and they said that things were surprisingly good up that way. so if somebody's up for it we could do an evening run starting at the Coffee Time on 10. or we could stage from Super Burger up on 89. anybody game?

·
Registered
72 Posts
also, the turkeys are crazy this year. they're everywhere! i thought that i'd suddenly see a lot less of them after Christmas, but that hasn't happened. mmmmmm wild turkey : )

·
Registered
137 Posts
The turkeys were "re-introduced" by the MNR in cooperation with the OFAH and local sportmans organizations. They have taken off at a phenomenal pace. It won't be long before they replace the Cdn Goose and the Dump duck as the lead nuisance bird.

·
Registered
701 Posts
The turkeys get Gerard thinking of food. I think he intends to make a quick meal of one soon. They should cook well strapped to the pipe after a few miles.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I thought those were Canada Geese. I guess being 3rd in line I didn't get a close up view. That was a pretty awesome trip today and I'm sure Friday will be even better. I wish I could be there too.

·
Registered
8,016 Posts
Piles of turkeys around our place in Guelph. There is a herd? flock? of about 40 of them.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I forgot to mention, my odometer said 81 miles, so even if they are notoriously inaccurate at least they're the same!

·
Registered
701 Posts
It was a shame to call it quits so early. Why do we all have to answer to that higher authority? Anyway it should shape up nice for Friday.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
It was a shame to call it quits so early. Why do we all have to answer to that higher authority? Anyway it should shape up nice for Friday.[/b]
If we were still out riding we wouldn't be able to sit here and brag about it.

·
Registered
267 Posts
A night run sounds good. I did a run from Hockley to Champ Burger (10 +89 hwy's) on New yrs eve looking for a burger. Saw 7 deer in the bush back there so be careful.

Varsity, if you go by I am right in Hockley.. Red Switchback.

<it's: Flock of Geese>

·
Registered
188 Posts
A night run sounds good. I did a run from Hockley to Champ Burger (10 +89 hwy's) on New yrs eve looking for a burger. Saw 7 deer in the bush back there so be careful.

Varsity, if you go by I am right in Hockley.. Red Switchback.

<it's: Flock of Geese>[/b]

any place I can park and ride in the Hockley area.....?

cheers, BK

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Hey Gerard, I discussed the turkey/geese thing with my resident bird expert (my daughter knows more about birds than I ever hope to) and she says turkeys need a running start to get any lift and generally they only go as far as close by trees since they don't really fly all that well. If it's of any interest she also says they can't swim since they're feathers aren't water resistant. With that being said, I'd just like to mention that Canada Geese are a protected species even though there's so many of them, and if a you were to get the idea of having some nice trailside bush meat, the MNR officer would likely not take the excuse, "...but honestly I thought it was a Turkey" ;)

·
Registered
267 Posts
Not much in the Hockley area, it's also 8 KM to the trails (B109), Alternates are New Tec Recreation (Polaris dealer) on Hwy 50 (South of 89 @ 25th sideroad) Primrose (10 & 89) is a good place to start from as it is at a T junction.

·
Registered
72 Posts
the geese may be protected, but it's game on when the season opens for them. their breasts are right tasty done with a brine and thrown into the smoker. they come out moist though, so another 10 minutes on a bbq to tighten them up does the trick!

and spiff - thursday night or friday do anything for ya? i'm right on simcoe #1 on the edge of town - the log home/bed and breakfast a few seconds past the school

1 - 16 of 16 Posts