Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
04 f7 with 1600 miles,i have snapped two belts this year at high speeds,like actually breaking in half at around 100mph.what the hell could be causing this.does lots of damage.never seen a belt snap in half.stock motor,arctic cat 020 belts. any ideas

·
Premium Member
15,688 Posts
heat, misalignment, clutching, offset, 020's blow....

·
Registered
841 Posts
I saw an 020 snap once when i was rippin my buds 1010...it just snapped freaked me out..04 f7 sled is supposed to run the 031? the 020 is wider than the 031 ? or the other way around?? the spyder in the primary has different thickness of shims behind it. maybe look into that

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I can blow as many as 4 020's in year, or I can use one of the Ultimax belts that will last more than a year.
They also come with a one year warranty on them too.

Aaron

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i've always blown belts on f7's but they usually grenade,not snap in half and go right through the belly pan.everything seems to be alighned and the center to center is on.maybe i will look into a different belt ,i thought all the gear case f7's took the 020,but i could be wrong.

·
Premium Member
15,688 Posts
Yep XS belts seem very durable.

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
Yep XS belts seem very durable.[/b]

I've seen where you are shifted right out and you were at 100 mph, hit a bump get some air and take the load off the sled momentarily then come back down hook up again while your belt is in the middle of a 100 mph backshift....and the forces are so great ...snap goes the belt like an elastic band. This happened to me on hardpack snow on a river, hitting an ice fisherman hole and it was on a warmer day and I had the sled WFO for a couple of miles like that when it happened. It was one hell of a bang, hitting the ice chunk some unplanned airtime then having the belt snap. I also had no time to let off the throttle when this happened, so the primary is doing it's thing and the secondary thinks full shift, power on and no load??? and the belt becomes a victim of indecision. This is just my own theory and not based on fact and I beleive the shock and the heat contributed to the loss of a belt. This was the last belt I have blown. I usually check everything, put a new belt on at the beginning of every year and have never had a problem. I have used 20's.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ya makes sense,i was also wfo for a couple of miles on hard pack both times but just no air time.i wonder how i got mixed up with those belts. whats the difference between the 020 and the 031.

·
Registered
841 Posts
ya makes sense,i was also wfo for a couple of miles on hard pack both times but just no air time.i wonder how i got mixed up with those belts. whats the difference between the 020 and the 031.[/b]
compound.. the 020 is soft and the 031 is like a rock. thats the reason 03 f7=63.5g primary....04 f7= 70g primary

·
Premium Member
15,688 Posts
I've seen where you are shifted right out and you were at 100 mph, hit a bump get some air and take the load off the sled momentarily then come back down hook up again while your belt is in the middle of a 100 mph backshift....and the forces are so great ...snap goes the belt like an elastic band. This happened to me on hardpack snow on a river, hitting an ice fisherman hole and it was on a warmer day and I had the sled WFO for a couple of miles like that when it happened. It was one hell of a bang, hitting the ice chunk some unplanned airtime then having the belt snap. I also had no time to let off the throttle when this happened, so the primary is doing it's thing and the secondary thinks full shift, power on and no load??? and the belt becomes a victim of indecision. This is just my own theory and not based on fact and I beleive the shock and the heat contributed to the loss of a belt. This was the last belt I have blown. I usually check everything, put a new belt on at the beginning of every year and have never had a problem. I have used 20's.[/b]
I blew one at 104 or 107 2 years ago and did not hit anything, just snapped in 2. Have not yet had any issue with the XS.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I had to tighten my motor mounts, and rebuild my clutch to stop my problem. After a couple a belts I was pissed. I also lost a belt at WOT, and it snapped in half and ripped the foot guard off the tunnel. I'm suprised it didn't take out the coolant line and oil line right there.

What can you do to protect the lines that run by the sencondary? Is there a material,other than metal that you could shield it with?

·
Registered
6,976 Posts
Check all your motor mounts for cracks especially the mag side mount. I blew one at 110 mph and another at 105. Found a little crack in the mount, fixed it and haven't lost one since.

·
Premium Member
951 Posts
I blew one at 104 or 107 2 years ago and did not hit anything, just snapped in 2. Have not yet had any issue with the XS.[/b]
Is the XS a hard compound like the 031?

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
It's not just the heavier primary weights, but also the super stiff green secondary spring that puts a lot of stress on a 020 belt being run in an '04. I know some guys have run the 020's with no problems though, but maybe the setup becomes really, really important? :dunno:

·
Premium Member
15,688 Posts
Is the XS a hard compound like the 031?[/b]
Pretty much the same as 020 compound

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thanx for the tips guys,i will check the motor mounts and the bulk head for cracks,change belts and see what that does

1 - 18 of 18 Posts