Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my dad just bought a new 06 attak and i was just wondering how everyone else broke their sleds in. We put 75 miles on it so far and we ran it like we normally would. We didn't hold it wide open for any long periods of time and we just veried throttle speeds. I know what the books says but i want to know how everbody else did theirs. Im only asking because this is the first 4 stroke that he ever had. Some people say don't go wide open at all,don't bring it over 6000 rpm for the first 100 miles etc. I have allways broke my 2 strokes in exactly how i would normally drive them and had no problems. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Sounds like your doing it right. I bought an '06 Attak last year and used the technique from this site, www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm. My sled has about 800 mi. on it now and runs like a champ. Doesn't leak or use a drop of oil. Lot's of people use this method and I haven't heard one bad thing about it.
You guys are going to love this sled. I've never rode anything like it before. Giver hell and don't look back.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
my dad bought a 06 attack last year it has around 700 mis now, all he did was go around 50-60 mph until 500 miles was up and it was serviced. He also would take and go wide open for like a second and let off. It runs great right now

·
Registered
569 Posts
I put my first miles on this weekend and followed my dealers advice, kept it under 6000 RPMS the first 100 miles and under 8000 RPMS the next 100 miles, varied the throttle constantly and then opened it up a little after 300 miles. I am going to add 162 studs this week and tighten the chain up. This sled is powerful and fun, hope your Dad enjoys his as much as I am mine!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Ive been informed that the trick is to ride it really hard to seat the piston rings rite.[/b]
That would be the best way to make it burn oil early in life and lose peak hp, I run a new demo every year and break in under 6000rpm for 100mi and under 8000rpm for another 250-300 with periodic spurts and varying throttle and my demo's have always had full power and never any issues, we had a customer break in his Rx-1 hard from day one and it started to burn oil at 5000mi and was always slower than ours.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Search the geneal forum, they discussed this question alot. There are some very strong arguements to say seating the pistons ASAP. You have seen one sled, these guys tested like 20 4 stroke motors.

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
if you ride it like sally, then break it in easy. if you plan on beating it then give it a mototune break in. rings seal from the cylinder pressure on the back side of them, not just the spring pressure. if its broke in easy and you wind up beating it, it will burn oil, just like any 4 stroke. broke my last 4 toys in mototune style and none of them use any oil and they all run great. i just changed the oil in my tundra after 9,000 miles. i pulled the dipstick at 7,500 and the oil looked the same as when i put it in there and the level did'nt moved at all, so i ran it longer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts