Hardcore Sledder banner

Are you in favor of combining some of the various 'model' forums?

• yes, recombine them into just the four main brand forums

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no, keep it as it is now.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some members have suggested that the individual "model" sub-forums in each major brand forum are more trouble than they are worth. It actually makes things harder to find and discuss, since so many issues overlap different models within a brand. A possibility would be to recombine the various model forums into just the four brands. That would make things much easier to moderate also.

This is your call, so be sure to vote.

·
Premium Member
4,252 Posts
I think if you only have 4 brand forums it's going to be alot harder to find info on a specific model. I'd say leave them as be. I do agree it would be easier to moderate though.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I agree with Muskoka800. Like for instance, I like having the ZR and ZRT specific forums seperate. I own examples of both of these models but they are two different animals when it comes down to technical questions. It's nice to narrow it down and be specific. I don't think it looks cluttered and the site is easy enough to navigate.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I think if you only have 4 brand forums it's going to be alot harder to find info on a specific model. I'd say leave them as be. I do agree it would be easier to moderate though.[/b]

With this said, if there is an open spot for a Moderator on the Ontario, ZR or ZRT sub forums, I would gladly sub-in ;)

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I'd say leave them but revise them somewhat by grouping the sleds ito chassis types. On the Polaris side there is no need for a Fusion, IQ, and a FST forum as they are all the same basic chassis, I'd group all of these into IQ. I think you could make the groups IQ, Edge, Indy Gen II, Indy, RMK/Switchback, Oldies (would be cool to have a place for the guys with the old classics to go), and Race/Modified. You could get everything into 7 groups instead of 10 and I think things would be easier to find. When I have a question about my wifes 94 Sport I can go into the 440 board right now but most of the talk in there is on the IQ Race chassis sled. I could go into the Trail/Classic/XLT forum cause they are baisically the same sled with a bigger mill and would likely get just as much or better info. Just an Idea

·
Registered
645 Posts
I think it is great the way it is. I always check the brand specific to my sleds first. Makes it a lot simplier to find answers to any problems or questions I may have. Keep up the great work Rob.

·
Expert Thread Killer
1,269 Posts
The only things i check in the cat forum are the ZR/ZL and 800/900 Bigbore, i find it nice to have things separated the way Rob has them now as it avoids time consuming searching and digging through a jam packed general type forum. With the search function giving Rob trouble this is even more reason to keep them sectioned off.

I think they should be left as is.

I also want to thank Rob for running a first class site as i am well aware of the headaches that go along with being an Admin. :div20:

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
I agree that some of the individual ones can be combined to make things simpler, but having only 4 forums would be too general. On the other hand, if you ever surf Snowmobile Fanatics, they have only 4 forums, but less traffic than HCS.
I suggest everyone go to SF and check it out, then reconsider your vote.
http://www.snowmobilefanatics.com/forum/default.asp

·
Brand loyal, not brand blind
15,209 Posts
I'd say leave them but revise them somewhat by grouping the sleds ito chassis types. On the Polaris side there is no need for a Fusion, IQ, and a FST forum as they are all the same basic chassis, I'd group all of these into IQ. I think you could make the groups IQ, Edge, Indy Gen II, Indy, RMK/Switchback, Oldies (would be cool to have a place for the guys with the old classics to go), and Race/Modified. You could get everything into 7 groups instead of 10 and I think things would be easier to find. When I have a question about my wifes 94 Sport I can go into the 440 board right now but most of the talk in there is on the IQ Race chassis sled. I could go into the Trail/Classic/XLT forum cause they are baisically the same sled with a bigger mill and would likely get just as much or better info. Just an Idea[/b]
I agree, but think you could drop the seperate Indy, and make "Indy/Gen2/Wedge" a single group. The Gen2 and Wedge xtra 10 are the same basic sled with different hoods. Make Edge, Edge/Pro-X.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I like having the ability to find info on my sled very quickly without without reading through every "Brand Specific" post. It would be nice to have some technical topics posted to eliminate them from every sub- group, like what oil everyone is using or how to wire an electric shield. Aother sub-group that would be convenient to have would be one that lists service bulletins and recalls.

·
Registered
2020 Indy XCR 800 129", 2019 Indy 850 129", 2011 IQ Turbo 121"
2,914 Posts
Based on experience with other sites I frequent, I think it is nice to have individual models broken down, rather than a generic "Cat", "Doo", "Polaris" or "Yamaha" subgroups. There is less "stuff" to sift through, more interest is generated because those viewing are owners of the same (or similar) sleds as you and because posts don't get buried quickly due to the heavier traffic, you get more folks to read them. However, I do agree that things could be made a little less specific than they are, yet still be useful.

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
i'd say let things the way they are, Rob. much easier to find model specific info.

Some members have suggested that the individual "model" sub-forums in each major brand forum are more trouble than they are worth. It actually makes things harder to find and discuss, since so many issues overlap different models within a brand. A possibility would be to recombine the various model forums into just the four brands. That would make things much easier to moderate also.

This is your call, so be sure to vote.[/b]

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
well.. heres another vote for combining generations inside the manufactureres specific forums. Sometimes you have to check different forums for the same problem or suggestions (i.e. difference with IQ and Fusion.. same sled no?

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
I say keep them seperate. A big reason I dont go to some of the other forums is cause I hate going into a brand forum and just having one big mess covering every model. I dont want to read about every model and I wont scroll through to find topics Im interested in.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I think the separated forums suck ,say a guy starts sledding he can,t afford a rev or the newest model available. So he goes to the mxz forum where there are no answers, because all the guys who know about them have moved up to revs. This is just a example, but i think all the guys riding the latest and greatest could help out alot with there experience. Thanks Randy

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.