Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone else has had a problem with their brake dragging? Mine started making the brake whine noise on and off when I would let off the throttle while going fairly fast, now it's to the point as soon as you let off the gas it's a continuous whine. You can feel it slowing down too. Also quite often when I brake to a complete stop just as I'm stopping it makes a really load sqeaking noise.
I'm wondering if maybe my disc is warped or possibly one piston in the caliper is jammed a bit because there is a tiny amount of clearance between the pad and the disc on the muffler side and no clearance for the pad closest to the motor.

Any thoughts/ideas? :huh:

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
mine was doing the same thing, i think this is normal

·
Premium Member
1,819 Posts
Just went for a little 40 miles ride and the brakes whinned all the way. When coming to a complete stop they would let out a loud squeal. I slid the pin that holds the brake pads in place back and forth and it squealed just like I could hear will riding. Maybe a shot of lithium grease on the pin???

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
ya, maybe that would work, there is also some type of anti-squeal stuff on the market for cars, maybe that would work, let us know what u do to cure the problem

·
Premium Member
2014 XF800 137
4,046 Posts
Have you had your steering post changed on these models?. My opinion on this is, if they changed your steering post they took off your handle bars. If they took off the handle bars, did they keep the brake reservoir upright? If they tilted the brake reservior (laid back) there may be air in your brake line. Try bleeding your brakes, my .02......

·
Premium Member
7,417 Posts
same here. If you check the clearance between the pads and rotor on an f7 and on say a zl 800 you will notice that the f7 has much less. Also the f7 will stop much faster and easier

·
Premium Member
1,819 Posts
I came across this post from F7 Ditch Jumper from Dec 20 that may help some people with their brake squeal.
Is your brake squealing?

We have seen this happen to many sleds here at Black Magic. A new sled will squeal like a stuck pig when hitting the binders for a corner. Why should this happen if the sled is new? We have seen over the years (since the introduction of hydraulic brakes) that if they are "broke-in" properly, this "howl" will not happen. This "break-in" period is a very simple task to perform. Simply put your sled on an enclosed stand (pointed in a safe direction) and fire it up.

Making sure the coolant, oil and gas tanks are full, rev up the sled and cycle the brakes. Cycling the brakes is accomplished by winding up the track to about 40-50 mph and then applying the brake. Let off and rev it up again. Do this 4-5 times or until you think the brake pads and disc are warm. Let the sled cool off and repeat one more time. This will condition the brake pads and the disc to help alleviate the "howl" that some of us have experienced.

Of course, this procedure is only effective on a chassis that is new with no miles on the brake pads or disc. Give it a try![/b]
I ended up not doing anything and the squeal went away by itself.

·
Registered
841 Posts
It seems like my brakes dont release and slow the sled down when coasting.........but with the more miles it is getting better so I cant complain........I have seen several ZR in the past also with some of the symptoms above and BM is right you have to condition them same as you sliders.........If your brake rotor was warped you would feel a pulse in the brake handle.........If it didnt pulse from new that means that you got it too hot without conditioning them..........

·
Registered
76 Posts
Loosen up the Allen-wrench bolt that the brake handle pivots on. They are usually too tight, and won't completely disengage the brake. If you loosen them a LITTLE BIT, it usually cures the problem.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts