Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just installed a set and instructions say i will probably have to jet down 1-3 sizes.
i am already down 1 size and have tempa flow
do the reeds make it run richer?
thanks

·
Registered
17,156 Posts
I put them on my 99 xc700 and had to drop needles 1 notch and tweark the airscrews some.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I added Boyesen reeds to my 2002 XC 700 last year. Went from 500 to 470 mains.
Do not have tempa flows so not sure of effect. Ran dramatically better thru mid-range.
Plugs stayed Brown even at -30C.

·
Registered
492 Posts
leave it for the first run and check. I ran them in my '03 xc 700 with good results, Stock jetting and Tempa Flow.

·
Registered
651 Posts
are you guys talking about the rad valves or just the replacement petals??

·
Registered
651 Posts
hey dog.. did you notice any power gains?? or was it just better throttle response??

also...how does that tempa flow work?? is it different from the vari flow??

·
Registered
492 Posts
If you've addressed all the air restriction issues then yes there is a gain in top end air flow for sure. The power is there to be had if you can tune it out. As far as throttle responce I found the Boyesen power reeds to be better than stock but it's hard to beat carbon fibre. If its snappy you want, go with V force or Carbon tech(med. tension NOT low. tension) but they won't last as long. I would recommend the Tempa-Flow to anyone. The only product out there that delivers exactly as advertised. I see the same plugs, wash and mileage at 40deg.F as I do at -20F.

-Rob.

·
Registered
492 Posts
The Tempa-Flow has a little membrane than expands and contracts very closely to the rate that air density changes with temperature and adjusts float bowl pressure accordingly.

·
Premium Member
1,232 Posts
Originally posted by zeke@Sep 18 2005, 07:03 AM
just installed a set and instructions say i will probably have to jet down 1-3 sizes.
i am already down 1 size and have tempa flow
do the reeds make it run richer?
thanks
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=880048
[/quote]

the reeds increase the pulse signal to the carbs and reduce blowback. effectively increasing the amount of fuel pulled in per pulse with the same jetting. you will need to lean out the low end and mid range to really see the gains.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Originally posted by AKRAY4PLAY@Sep 20 2005, 08:34 PM
the reeds increase the pulse signal to the carbs and reduce blowback. effectively increasing the amount of fuel pulled in per pulse with the same jetting. you will need to lean out the low end and mid range to really see the gains.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=884519
[/quote]

Boyesen told me that the reeds would lean out the low to mid and be a little richer on top. DO NOT LEAN OUT THE MIDRANGE ON A 2002 XC 700!!!!!!!!! At least not without testing it first.

I ran stock jetting (440s) with the Tempa-Flow. 420s and the Tempa- Flow was TOO LEAN!!! The air box and hood plenum were opened up to allow more air but was running stock exhaust.

Everybody's riding area has different air conditions, I came awful close to burning down my(at the time brand new) sled taking advice from this forum. Start with stock settings and tweak from there. If you are running 480s and stock needle position you should be fine to start, but check that set up first with a good 1000' blast, then 1/4 mile and start dropping mains from there.

Remember brass is cheaper than aluminum.

-Rob.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts