Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whats gonna be my best way to get this bolt out? the head snapped out like an 1/8th of a inch in the drive, any ideas? :( thanks

·
Registered
6,455 Posts
You could drill it out and then use a tap or something similar to clean up the threads of the shaft or you could take a punch and a hammer and just try to turn whats left of the bolt by tapping on it with the punch.
Good luck, the same thing happened to my brother's Pro-X last year. We got it out, but it was a PITA.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
is that drive or whatever u wanna call it, easy to remove? or is it possible to leave it in?

·
Registered
6,455 Posts
Its not too hard to remove. You have to remove the rear suspension, track speedo drive cable and it should slide right out.
Ive changed 2 tracks on my sled in the past year, so Ive gotten pretty good at getting it apart and then back together.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
did u havta drop ur skid? nm seen edit

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Ive taken them out by welding a 3/8" nut to the broken end.You must be careful to not weld it to the axel,but the heat will losen the loctite as well,If you are going to try drilling,heat it first to break the loctite bond,then use a 5/16" left hand drill bit.A regular bit will tighten the remaining blot and require you to drill all the way to the bottom,about an inch.Thats pretty hard to do w/o setting the axel up in a mill and doing it.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
its like an 1/8th inside the axle, would be impossible to weld, its comin out tomorrow, hopefully ill get it out somehow lol

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
youll need a angle drill,not 100 % sure theres room enough , drill a 1/4 hole , and use a easy out, before installing the easy out, heat the broken bolt up, it should come out of there pretty easy

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
never thought about an angle drill, that could work

if people are lookin here still, should i replace the bearing on this bottom axle?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Mine went this year at 750 miles. There is alot of good info on this site just do a search. Everyone has an opinion. I pulled mine out and did the 3/8" upgrade that was suggested so many times, put on 1000 miles since and no problems!

·
Registered
302 Posts
pull the axle, heat the end of the axle with a torch to break loose the loc-tite, use a left hand drill bit to drill the broken part... with the left hand bit once it gets down a ways it should thread the broken piece out... I would replace the bearing while it is apart

1 - 11 of 11 Posts