Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, we did get to watch Minority Report on DVD. :wub: Let me just preface that both our sleds have run flawless up until now (500 miles) My Sno Pro and my buds standard. We get to Newberry, offload the sleds and hit the sack. Gear up the next morning, hop out of the trailer and ATOMICAT is warming both sleds side-by-side. His dies, so he turns mine off to attend to his sled. His never started again. Mine starts but will not stay running. It take a constant fanning of the throttle to keep it going a bit. It just wants to die. It is also backfiring and sputtering. At one point, my sled's rpm's started to slowly rise and I was ready to slam the kill switch in case it took off. We put dry-gas in, no change, we drain all my gas out and put fresh in, no change. I can make my sled go around the parking lot a few laps to run out any possibly bad gas that's in the pump and lines, no change. The only thing I'm doing is riding around a parking lot with a sputtering and dieing sled in front of a lot of people. We put my sled in the trailer and run the heater for about an hour until the sled is totally warm, start it and no change. I pulled my exhaust off and the pistions are as smooth as a baby's butt. We changed plugs in both sleds and no change. ATOMICAT's is getting spark but won't even fire or sound like it's trying to fire. His is a dead turd; mine is a somewhat running turd. We trailered back to the lower and dropped the sleds off at a friendly dealer to let them sort this crap pile out. What in the world could cause both sleds to take a crap at the exact same time???? Any questions, just ask. History:

Both topped off tanks and same gas station (about 6 gallons) the previous week. Sleds ran fine for about 3 hours after that.
Temps were about 3 degrees this Thursday eve.
All updates have been performed on both sleds (different dealers)

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We had covers on both sleds and all seemed as we left it. We slept in the trailer; so, I figure we would have head anyghing. The sleds were right next to the trailer. It is possible, I guess. We did consider it.

·
Registered
930 Posts
It would take a real idiot, but someone could get to the gas cap very quietly...just seems like too big of a coincidence...hope not though...Marc

·
Registered
244 Posts
sounds to me like the ecu was shutting down the gas for some reason. Iwas thinking because it was so cold but you warmed them up in the trailer. So the temp had nothing to do with it , and you had enough miles of that gas ran thru that I don't think it was the gas. GOT ME

·
Registered
410 Posts
Obviously they weren't getting enough fuel so I would think ice somewhere in the system. I think you'll find that out soon enough. Too have both sleds freak out together means no gas(ice). :D

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
shit in gas settled to bottom of tank, started them up and plugged smart valves?
thats the only thing i can think of, get a coat hanger pull up the valves see if screens are plugged

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wonder. When ATOMICAT pulled his original plugs, he put a lighter to the plug hole and she shot out a pretty stout blast! I think he's getting fuel enough to at least fire. But nothing even close to firing. What do those smart valves look like. I did see a large round disk at the bottom of the tank when we drained it. Is that it. Is it a matter of just pulling them up to reset them.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I ran out of gas thurs nite ,guy stopped to help me out, while we were talking about our Sabercats his is idling there and starts to rev up and then shuts down never to fire again. F7s both. Would love to hear outcome it sounds like same stories as above.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
The only thing that makes sense to me is ice. Must have had some water in the gas and it turned to ice and probably plugged the smart valves. Did you add any isopropanol?

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We went across the street to an auto parts place and bought some dry-gas (good or bad?) It treats up to 20 gallons. We split it between sleds and shook it all up and went to eat and see what would happen when we got back. No go, same symtoms on both sleds. That's when I drained out all my gas and put fresh in and ran a few laps in the hotel parking lot to try and run out the original fuel that may be in the fuel pump and fuel lines, no go, same symptoms. Like I said, we put mine in the trailer and ran the two furnace vents directly into the engine bay until it was nice and toasty, no go, same symptoms.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Wow... that sucks. My guess would've been water/ice somewhere in the fuel system, or someone messing with the sleds, but I certainly hope not the latter. -- Roy

·
Registered
87 Posts
I've had this happen to one of my older sleds what it was that somone messed with and dropped skittles in the gas tank that really fucks them up. All sudeen i was warming it up and as soon as the bad gas hit it killed its a possibillity

·
Registered
50 Posts
Did you try pulling the fuel line off at the fuel rail to make sure you had proper fuel supply? When my smartvalve(s) failed; the repairing dealer indicated I could have pulled one off the fuel hose in the tank and run it that way until I got some place to have it fixed.

Maybe some one with some expertise could elaborate on the pro's and con's of pulling a smartvalve and running without it.

BIGCATF7

·
Registered
293 Posts
Read my thread 'old news for some - new news to me' --- either search for the thread or go to the last posted message dated 1-13. After this episode I had the upgrade kit installed - the dealer also told me they drained my gas and there was NO water AT ALL in the gas.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
My 98 ZR 600 EFI experienced some of the same symptoms. I drained out the gas, put in warm garage overnight, filled the tank the next day and added iso-heet when I filled, started sled and it ran sluggish for a few minutes, then ran great.

In my case I believe I had ice in the fuel system.

·
Registered
209 Posts
take a coat hanger and pull the fuel line out of the tank and i would be willing to bet that the smart valve on the end of the fuel line is collapsed , there are two valves in the tank . if you unhook the valve from the line it will pop back out . it will only take a minute to do tis , try it .

·
Registered
534 Posts
Thanks for all the responses.

BTW:
I want to correct something SnoProG said,

I did get the leftover gas to fire in the left cylinder using a long lighting device (used to light gas grills) with the plugs out. However I was unable to ignite the gas in the other cylinder. It's difficult to tell if there was actually gas fumes in that other one leftover or not because it was so cold out that the lighting device wasn't lighting very well itself.

Anyway, I'm going to call the dealer this morning and find out and keep everyone posted.

In thinking about this, it seems to me that ice or water in the system still makes the most sense. I suppose the smartvalves could be frozen. . . we did do the update.

We'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
336 Posts
<_< HMMM...My son had this happen on his 580 EFI, it's a 96. We had to replace the voltage regulator. We found this out after trying several different things...similar to what you and your friend had done. I sure hope that you get it worked out.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts