Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Chenango County and we have no snow, lots of mud and the trails are closed.

I am thinking about heading north, but I have never been north and I don't really know anyone who has.

It looks like Boonville is a fairly easy drive, but I have no idea where to park and unload.

Any assistance would be helpful. I would be coming in on Rt.12 from the south.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
There is parking available at the Groomer barn on Route 294 Across from the Oneida County Fairgrounds. If you plan on heading up to The Hill I would just trailer to the Highmarket area as Southern Tug Hill's trail through C'ville is closed due to low snow and Turin Ridge Riders Trail from The Edge Hotel in Lyon's Falls up to Turin is also closed due to low snow. They are your only connections to get from Boonville to The Hill.
You can also park and unload at The Towpath in Turin. Just remember... you can go up from Turin but you cannot go down to either Lyon's Falls or C'ville for fuel (The two closest gas stops with street prices) The closest street price gas once on The Hill is all the way in Barnes Corners about 50 miles or so by trail.

Yeah you will drive a little farther but you will have less aggravation, wear and tear on your sleds and possibly save a ticket for trespass for riding on closed trails. The landowners in these areas are really getting ticked off about people riding on trails that are marked closed and not only calling the police but possibly closing their land for good to snowmobiling.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its OK to just use the parking lot of the Towpath and leave truck and trailer there?

How much room is there to park?

If trails are closed...is it even worth the time and effort to head up there?

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Its OK to just use the parking lot of the Towpath and leave truck and trailer there?

How much room is there to park?

If trails are closed...is it even worth the time and effort to head up there?
Call the Towpath315-348-8122 and be sure. I'm also sure they would appreciate you having breakfast, lunch or dinner there and the food is excellent.

Once you get up on top of the Hill it is a different world plenty of snow. I would not drive from home (New Jersey.. 6 hours) but from where you are (an hour or so) I would say yes it is worth it. Just if you go on the weekend it will be crowded because it is the only snow available as you well know.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
So I guess I will have to wait another week, this really sucks! Southern Tug hill trails closed? holy cow
I think you need to re-read my post STH trails in and out of C'ville are closed not the entire system.

The problem is even though the trail was down to mud morons kept parking and riding out of the Nice & Easy in C'ville or going down there for fuel. The surrounding landowners said to stop it or the trails would be shut down permanently. There is no place to re-route the trail and the village of C'ville will not allow use of the roads because riders can't obey speed limits and continue to use loud pipes on their sleds.
These jokers need to start following the rules and laws before there are no more trails across private property which make up a huge amount of the trail system.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
cannot ride from the edge hotel?
As of now you can head toward Brantingham and go up to the hill that way (Past the Drive In Theater)

There is a good chance that if people keep riding from the Edge up to Turin on the closed trails that trail will go away forever as there are no more re-routes available. The landowners are getting pissed because idiots are riding on mud on their land.
People need to start using some common sense and unless there is snow you don't go.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi im coming from albany when i get off at utica where do i go to park my truck and trailer and off load my sleds to ride on the trails any info be helpful

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
hi im coming from albany when i get off at utica where do i go to park my truck and trailer and off load my sleds to ride on the trails any info be helpful
Depends on the snow levels... Sometimes you need to go up to Turin or Highmarket other times There will be sufficient snow in Boonville and on a good year you can ride out of Deerfield or Barneveld.
Conditions are different every day/week. Best to check back when you are actually going to go because sometimes there is good snow and open trails near the South end and at the North end but trails in between could be closed... All depends on which way the wind blows the snow.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts