Hardcore Sledder banner
21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Would put the chip in glue it let it cure then put brush on the fibreglass resin on it
that would give a nice base coat, then add the fibreglass with resin.....

·
Registered
44,410 Posts
Considering the price of a new track and how much effort you already have into that one... I would run it just to see how long it lasts.
Yeah, it might be fine as long as your always on good snow. If you saw what we ride over down here at times you probably change the track.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
I d agree, its not just about side to side strength issues or concerns, its also going to be about what all you will be running over that might be placing stress on that thin web !
I personally wouldn;t feel confident riding as is
season is already too short as they are, and we all tend to try and limit possible down time PRE- season
so??
and I also doubt the small amount of weight savings are worth porting the track period, just saying

as now look?? (teasing here) the slight weight savings I doubt are worth the $$$ , now if you need a new track, or the hassle of getting a trackless sled out of who know's where if track fails while riding

we all dabble in trying new things
just fo em,, this wouldn;t be one I'd take!

·
Registered
44,410 Posts
Not so much as for weight saving of the track itself to reduce rotating mass, but it allows, air and snow to escape that gets accumulated between the tunnel and the track. Suppose to be worth some added performance in deeper snow.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Not so much as for weight saving of the track itself to reduce rotating mass, but it allows, air and snow to escape that gets accumulated between the tunnel and the track. Suppose to be worth some added performance in deeper snow.
yes I understand the concept, but for m,e, the amount it will reduce things isn;t worth weakening the track
I rode a bunch off trail in remote places and , walking would wouldn;t be fun! HAHA!
NO bash here meant, just saying,. sleds already have things that fail as is, I would take the added weight over a weaker track, unless I was racing or making money off the added risks, , but this is ME< being ME<
we all make choices we feel are worth it1

·
Registered
44,410 Posts
yes I understand the concept, but for m,e, the amount it will reduce things isn;t worth weakening the track
I rode a bunch off trail in remote places and , walking would wouldn;t be fun! HAHA!
NO bash here meant, just saying,. sleds already have things that fail as is, I would take the added weight over a weaker track, unless I was racing or making money off the added risks, , but this is ME< being ME<
we all make choices we feel are worth it1
I get it. I too have ridden off trail in the deep stuff at mount valins, quebec on rental long track 800 ski-doo's. For what we did i seriously doubt track porting would of made any difference either. We were having way too much fun on these stock sleds to care, plus i'd likely be just as beat at the end of the day.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I d agree, its not just about side to side strength issues or concerns, its also going to be about what all you will be running over that might be placing stress on that thin web !
I personally wouldn;t feel confident riding as is
season is already too short as they are, and we all tend to try and limit possible down time PRE- season
so??
and I also doubt the small amount of weight savings are worth porting the track period, just saying

as now look?? (teasing here) the slight weight savings I doubt are worth the $$$ , now if you need a new track, or the hassle of getting a trackless sled out of who know's where if track fails while riding

we all dabble in trying new things
just fo em,, this wouldn;t be one I'd take!
its not about the weight as it is letting the snow escape from inside the skid and it helps with giving the air a place to escape from under the tunnel and eliminate parrachuting. on wide open runs.

my dragons track is ported.no issues .

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I get it. I too have ridden off trail in the deep stuff at mount valins, quebec on rental long track 800 ski-doo's. For what we did i seriously doubt track porting would of made any difference either. We were having way too much fun on these stock sleds to care, plus i'd likely be just as beat at the end of the day.
i can tell ya this, after porting , i could spin the track on the skid with 2 fingers when before it took a good haul to spin over. theres definitely some benefit here for the sake of drilling a few holes. less effort is less effort, wheather its my arm or the motor.

i have no issues porting the next track either, ill just pay better attention. this was my fault for being a scatter brain then it was the practice of porting.

·
Registered
Arctic Cat 6000
1,142 Posts
I would have maybe posted on here first before porting, you know maybe get a little info first before doing that...just at thought. 🤦‍♂️

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I would have maybe posted on here first before porting, you know maybe get a little info first before doing that...just at thought. 🤦‍♂️
i did.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
found a 'like brand new ' 1 and 1/4 144 track from a local scrapyard for 250 cad.im going to pick it up and use that.

i am porting it also , no more on top of windows this time .lol.

thanks for the opinions guys.appriciated.

·
Vendor
10,353 Posts
your track drives internally. that won't hurt a thing. i see just about everything. studs ripped out even though the window. didn't hurt a thing. way worse if the outside of the window tears or rip's a hole. that i wouldn't run. yours is fine. yes a stick could cause it to rip. but again it won't hurt a thing on the inside. run it. there isn't much force side to side.

·
Registered
Edge Fuji 800 Triple Star
708 Posts
Some industrial rubber cement, those plugs with some cure time and I could make it look like that track was never ported.

·
Registered
Edge Fuji 800 Triple Star
708 Posts
The cement is just for final aesthetics, structure mate would be thermal welding rods similar to plastic fusion.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 · (Edited)
250 cad .going to pick this up monday or latest thursday.looks like its off a switchback assault. is this a 1.352 cobra ?
used track.jpg

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
21 - 40 of 55 Posts