Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i decided to port the track on my rmk edge for lols cause ive never done one before.settled on one behind each lug up the center belt....all was going well till i got distracted and placed one pretty dam close to a window.DOH!

...so in your guys opinion, will this hold or am i track shopping ?
tp2.jpg
tp1.jpg

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
I dont think your going to have much of an issue being you are on the inside of the window. Tracks to the best of my knowledge do not flex much side to side and you have good thickness on the other windows on other windows above and below.

·
Registered
44,410 Posts
I had a goodyear track on one of my 500 indy's where it had a knife like cut from the middle of the track to the inside of a window, guessing from running over something. A few good runs on the lake, and it totally blew apart. Lucky i had plenty of room to coast while dragging my feet. There's a reason goodyear sucks.

·
Premium Member
20,504 Posts
It’s not into the Rod. IMO, you could take a knife and cut that thin remaining portion right out of there and it would still be fine. I would not, I’d leave it like it is but it would not be any weaker or stronger either way. If you had hit the rod, that would be different. What are the specs on that track? List it for sale with that same pic, and it will sell.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ill chop down that one lug then and see. ill see if i can pick up a 1.25 switchback track for a couple hundred bucks ill go that route.

shitty lesson to learn but thats how she goes '

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It’s not into the Rod. IMO, you could take a knife and cut that thin remaining portion right out of there and it would still be fine. I would not, I’d leave it like it is but it would not be any weaker or stronger either way. If you had hit the rod, that would be different. What are the specs on that track? List it for sale with that same pic, and it will sell.
yeah i was thinking the same. it never got into the belt so i figured it may be ok. it does make me a little paranoid though all the same.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
rmk series 4(i think , its off my 05 ' rmk edge 144) track, 2 inch x 144, cut down to 1.5.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Considering the price of a new track and how much effort you already have into that one... I would run it just to see how long it lasts.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Considering the price of a new track and how much effort you already have into that one... I would run it just to see how long it lasts.
yeah true man.although theres enough 800 switchbacks, assaults and rmks blown up around here shouldnt be hard to score a decent used one for a couple hundred . ill look around and if the right deal comes around, might as well.

running a 1 1/4 might help get a little more speed out of it and in reality, i really do not need a 2 inch or even 1.5 really. 144 x 1 1/4 is lots of track for this old 6.

im pulling the skid regardless and putting new shocks , bearings , springs and hyfax already, and doing the driveshaft bearing. if im going to swap out a track nows the time for sure.

·
Registered
632 Posts
ill chop down that one lug then and see. ill see if i can pick up a 1.25 switchback track for a couple hundred bucks ill go that route.

shitty lesson to learn but thats how she goes '
Chop that lug off.Small tears become big problems at high speeds.Off trail deep snow, you're
walking out. High speed across the lake you're replacing the tunnel. Imo

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Chop that lug off.Small tears become big problems at high speeds.Off trail deep snow, you're
walking out. High speed across the lake you're replacing the tunnel. Imo
yeah which is why i think im going with another track. i dont want that in back of mind everytime im out iin the woods or wide open across the pond. one 90 mph crash is enough for me.

·
Premium Member
20,504 Posts
How wide is that sliver that remains? I’m not familiar with a factory Polaris track, but on a cat over the years, all camo I know, but that molded edge has varied in thickness, 3/16 to 5/16”+. I run backers right flush with the windows, and measure to the big 1/32”. I traditionally always recommend on the side of safety, and I just don’t think this is a hazard here. Heck, I actually thought you were talking 800cc. Now you say tired 600..... man, I just wouldn’t be concerned.
My concern with a ported track is possibly catching a stick or something ever so haphazardly right through one of the holes and ripping the track, and that could happen no matter where you put that hole. actually it could happen with any track window.....but it nobody thinks about it, so maybe my concern there is moot. Sure, if you can pick up a track reasonable, and since your taking the bearings out anyway it would make sense to change the track now. I had not realized those points earlier

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
yeah which is why i think im going with another track. i dont want that in back of mind everytime im out iin the woods or wide open across the pond. one 90 mph crash is enough for me.
Again, your money but you are in the fat of the track. Seen pulled studs with way more damage not effect

·
Registered
407 Posts
Would use the best adhesive and put the circle chip back in, then i would
double fibreglass it both sides, it will be hard as a rock.......

1 - 20 of 55 Posts