Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone!

Hoping to narrow down a potential cause of the issue I'm having.
Just picked up a cherry 1998 XCR700 w/1923 miles on her.
Was ridden a few times last winter and the a few days before I picked it up.

Got it home and did some basic freshening up. Swapped plugs, greased chassis, and fresh gas. Swapped the voltage regulator (lights dim and I read up on that issue.)

2 issues I'm having are as follows:

The speedo cable that was in it was routed over the pipes and straight to the pass-through to the instrument cluster. Seemed weird and indeed it wasn't correct. Being it was routed wrong AND tight with the hood open. All I can find are 81" cables which are too short. A part number or direction for the correct one would be awesome!

Second...this is the real "why" issue.
Cold starts fine w/choke. Idles fine after being warmed up. I took it for a small ride (2-3 miles) If I use heavy throttle off a standstill it wants to bog. Easy or mild throttle up to speed and it's silky smooth. Once at an even speed (say 45-60) if I use heavy throttle it again wants to bog.

I noticed residue by the carbs/reed cages. I know it wasn't ran regularly so here's my direction.

Dirty carbs, dirty/failed reeds, leaking crank seals (due to age).

Sled is completely stock mind you w/122 psi per cylinder cold.

Hope to hear something so I can remedy these issues, thanks all!
#BRAAPLIFE

·
Registered
214 Posts
Maybe something silly like a mouse house in the airbox?
Start with checking airbox, then pull carbs off and giving them a good cleaning inside, make sure all low speed circuitry, pilots, etc is clean.
Check to see if carb components are stock for your elevation perhaps? Maybe previous owner(s) did some changes to jetting/needles or needle positioning?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know the airbox is squeaky clean as I checked that when I was doing the routine stuff. I'll be pulling the carbs tonight or tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What are the odds a secondary could be the issue?

Talked to a buddy at work and he mentioned it could be a culprit. I know when I pushed the sheave back it was TIGHT.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
What are the odds a secondary could be the issue?

Talked to a buddy at work and he mentioned it could be a culprit. I know when I pushed the sheave back it was TIGHT.
My bet is clutching problems. Check and clean both primary and secondary. Check primary rollers and weight pins and bushings. A fresh spring wouldn’t hurt. Secondary check buttons and a fresh spring.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cleaned carbs completely and checked jetting and needle position last night. Settings overall were as they should be. Started it and it sounds crisper overall. No bog off idle without belt on. Going to take it for a rip tomorrow and see if its gtg. Next would be cleaning the clutches.

I noticed the primary has a white spring and I believe it should be purple? Can anyone confirm that?

·
Registered
26 Posts
One thing you can try is greasing the internals of the clutches after cleaning insure they are all moving very easily.. This is short term only to see an improvement or not to get you on the right path.. For long term clutches should be grease free.. Grease attracts dust.. Dust is an abrasive and abrasives are bad for moving components.. Good luck

·
Registered
6,519 Posts
Correct primary spring is almond which looks white. Replace it with a new 140/330 from polaris whicch has larger ID center coils so it won't bind. Part # 7043829. Open the secondary up and check the buttons, clean everything well. The only place there should be grease is the 2 machined grooves in the helix (grease rings). Install a new silver/blue spring #7041646. #2 hole, preloaded 1/4 turn on the sheave before you push the helix all the way down and install the snap ring.

·
Registered
52 Posts
All of the above are valid points. I'm leaning toward clutching 1st. Take the primary and secondary off and replace anything that look even minutely suspect. Back in the day, 1993 to be exact, I had a new XLT. Threw on modblaster triple pipes. Clutching? What the hell was that? Or so I thought. Long story short, clutching is a majority of it. Check your belt height in the secondary as well. If it's sittling bit low it's like starting off in 2nd or 3rd gear. Dot your I'd and cross your T's.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts