Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I HAVE A '98 COUGAR, LAST YEAR I HAD THE SAME TROUBLE. RIGHT OFF IDLE IT HAS A BOG, SOMETIMES IT WILL EVEN BACKFIRE WHEN IT BOGS. LAST YEAR I CLEANED THE CARBS, THIS YEAR AGAIN I HAVE CLEANED THE CARBS, AND IT STILL DOES IT. II HAVEN'T CHANGED THE NEEDLE SETTINGS, IT HAS 360 MAIN JETS. SEEMS TO BE WORSE WHEN ITS COLDER. WHERE SHOULD I START? ANY ADVICE IS APPRECIATED..........

·
Registered
523 Posts
Throttle Safety Switch. We all tend to push down as we push in and the switches on the Cat throttles don't like that so much!! My 98 had the same problem. I really noticed it if I turned right and tried accellerating. Change that switch and you should be good to go for a while again.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Do you have fresh gas? Old nasty gas makes my ZRT backfire.
I believe he is talking about the throttle safety switch is on the throttle leaver. A small pin will push on a switch in throttle block.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you have fresh gas? Old nasty gas makes my ZRT backfire.
I believe he is talking about the throttle safety switch is on the throttle leaver. A small pin will push on a switch in throttle block.[/b]
YEA, GAS DOSEN'T SEEM TO BE A PROBLEM. IT DID IT MOST OF LAST WINTER. I'LL CHECK THE SAFETY SWITCH. THANKS.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
To bypass the Throttle Safety Switch you should unplug the three prong connector at the base of the handle bars. This will disable the kill switch, but it will also tell you if the TSS is causing the problem. The typical result when the TSS acts up is the ignition cuts out sporadically while riding. The typical fix is to replace the plastic washers/bushings on the throttle pivot pin.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
i've sprayed the shit out of the switch with silicone and had some success. it would last a couple days and then act up again. if you do take the switch apart be- careful the lil pieces fly everywhere.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.