Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a month parked in my marina my hull was trashed. Here is my very inexpensive and effortless process.
In a regular plastic spray bottle I filled it half with Lysol toilet bowl cleaner and the other half with hydrogen peroxide. I let it sit for 5 minutes and the scum literally starts to break down then pressure wash it off.

Attachments

·
Registered
40,083 Posts
I guess it depends where and how long the boats been in the water. I tried the same concoction and others with zero results. Only thing thats works best for me is zing, or slimy grimy. Booyah works fairly well to for a non caustic cleaner.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Interesting. I typically use straight toilet bowl cleaner or in very stubborn cases muriatic acid but never heard of mixing half TB and half peroxide. Does it cut down on the fumes?

·
Registered
7,197 Posts
muriatic acid works great for the scum here. Cheap too....HD/Lowe's/ etc.

On/off works great too. Much more $$$$>

For both.....I use a weed sprayer and keep my face/lungs away from the fumes. It feels like your lungs pop if you don't.

Don't do on a windy day !

No pressure washer needed.

Reactions: too slow

·
Registered
1,158 Posts

For both.....I use a weed sprayer and keep my face/lungs away from the fumes. It feels like your lungs pop if you don't.

You got that right! The other problem with muriatic acid is I find a spray bottle only lasts about an hour before the pump and check ball is destroyed which is why I save left over windex bottles or something similar.

·
Registered
7,197 Posts
You got that right! The other problem with muriatic acid is I find a spray bottle only lasts about an hour before the pump and check ball is destroyed which is why I save left over windex bottles or something similar.
I run a bunch of water thru mine right when done and then soap and water. I only use that one for the acid. I have some for weeds and some for gear oil. A Sharpie marker works well to differentiate them :) Like all my different grease guns. :laff::wall:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GN69N1C/ or similar

Reactions: too slow

·
Registered
40,083 Posts

Thats basically the same smell using slimy grimy or zing...with zing you'd best cover up well.

·
Registered
40,083 Posts
I run a bunch of water thru mine right when done and then soap and water. I only use that one for the acid. I have some for weeds and some for gear oil. A Sharpie marker works well to differentiate them :) Like all my different grease guns. :laff::wall:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GN69N1C/ or similar
I use the exact same sprayer. Bought it at lowes. Its rated for bleach.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Been using the white scotch Brite pads to keep the scum off the boat. We will beach it while on the river, then I walk around the boat and scrub the scum off. 36 footer is too wide for the roads without permits. Only comes out in the fall, buff and wax with 3M stuff and wrap it up till spring.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40,083 Posts

The scum after a season in the water used with stuff like mentioned, you still need a pressure washer here. plus i've had to use elbow grease on the really stubborn spots. Never spray on a windy day with that stuff, and cover up. Those fumes can make me gag.

·
Registered
7,197 Posts
The scum after a season in the water used with stuff like mentioned, you still need a pressure washer here. plus i've had to use elbow grease on the really stubborn spots. Never spray on a windy day with that stuff, and cover up. Those fumes can make me gag.
Do it in the spring. Comes off way easier. Must be because it all died completely over the winter. No pressure washer needed. I don't have one.

·
Registered
40,083 Posts
Do it in the spring. Comes off way easier. Must be because it all died completely over the winter. No pressure washer needed. I don't have one.
I've tried it in the spring and its way worse trying to remove the zebra mussels that cement themselves on. Boat is usually in the water around the 1st week in april to the 2nd week in nov.

·
Registered
7,197 Posts
I've tried it in the spring and its way worse trying to remove the zebra mussels that cement themselves on. Boat is usually in the water around the 1st week in april to the 2nd week in nov.
No zebra mussels here. That must suck ! Keep that boat away from here. Thanks ! :stirthepot::roflmao:

·
Registered
40,083 Posts
No zebra mussels here. That must suck ! Keep that boat away from here. Thanks ! :stirthepot::roflmao:
Theres a notice posted on our lake that your boat must be clean of them if used elsewhere plus they want boats that come here to be clean of them...their a big problem here, but it has been getting better. Those suckers excrete a substance that causes gelcoat issues if left on there too long...causes the fiberglass to create blisters. I've had to dig them out and patch my boat a few times already.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts